Boudica being REALLY unappreciative or bad AI? You decide.

Socratatus

Emperor
In the Medieval era, Napoleon decided to do an unprovoked attack on me out-of-the-blue (as they seem to like doing since the Patch).

I rebuffed Napoleon and drove him back to his nearest city and I took it. This city once belonged to Boudica of the Celts and I was given the option of liberating it for her. I thought about it... Boudica and I were not at war, but our relations had been cool. She recently warned me not to be too friendly with manila (CS) because she wanted to be friends with it. I told her I`d do what I like.

But I decided why make enemies when I can make friends? If I liberate her city from france, she`ll be really appreciative and relations should improve. Then I can just pass through her borders onto France. So I did it.

After I returned the city to her I got no message of `Thanks` from her, which I thought strange and imediately had a bad feeling about my decision. Next turn she pops up and tells me that my troops are too close to her borders and i`d better move them or else!

What the? Of course my troops are too close to her borders because I just LIBERATED THE CITY TO HER AND MY TROOPS HAVEN`T HAD TIME TO MOVE YET!!!

I told her, in amazement, that I was just passing through, though I wish I could`ve said what I wrote in bold. then I asked her to Open Borders so i could pass through to France. She refused me! So now I have to find the long way round Boudica`s city that I just liberated for free to her!

Is Boudica being a ***** or is the AI broken??:cry:

I think things like this should definitely be fixed.

I would've just kept it if it's on the way to France. It makes no strategic sense to liberate it when you need to go through to fight France. Also we don't really know what your relationship to Boudicca before was. If she was "Friendly" then liberating it would probably give you a DoF. However if she was "Guarded" or "Neutral" there is no guarantee one liberation will mean a DoF.

Also, why bother saying "I'd do what I like" for the CS? Just say "sorry" and you'd lose no diplomatic hit or any negative effect to the CS either.

I`m seriously tempted to attack her for being so ungrateful! I could`ve kept that city.

I would've just kept it if it's on the way to France. It makes no strategic sense to liberate it when you need to go through to fight France. Also we don't really know what your relationship to Boudicca before was. If she was "Friendly" then liberating it would probably give you a DoF. However if she was "Guarded" or "Neutral" there is no guarantee one liberation will mean a DoF.

Also, why bother saying "I'd do what I like" for the CS? Just say "sorry" and you'd lose no diplomatic hit or any negative effect to the CS either.

I told you what the relationship was. It really was as I wrote.

Did you read properly what I wrote? I explained it all. It is exactly as I said, our relations were cool or guarded, but there had been no war. the only comms we had had was when she warned me about manilla. I told her I`d do what i like because I read that if you are apologetic then that affects your relationship with manilla and I did not want to lose it. This was also BEFORE I came across the city and realised it used to be Boudica`s. So at that point I was not too bothered about our relationship.

1. I wanted to make friends with Boudica.
2. If I made friends with Boudica then she would Open Borders and I could just pass through to France. It makes total strategic sense. That`s why I gave her the city. The Civ-info even says they will be `very grateful` if you return a whole city to them.

3. Why would I liberate a city just to instantly take it back? Why wouldn`t I just take it? It makes no sense for her to be suspicious.

Sheesh. read before you comment, please.

Kill her and take her stuff, man.

Frankly it isn't just Boudicca, it's a lot of the AI's. I mean, christ, even Stalin would at least PRETEND to be grateful if you liberated a few of his cities. But nonetheless the insane AI goes on, declaring war at every twist and turn and turning this game more and more into just a military simulator.

It's just the AI programming. You have too many units near one of her cities. It doesn't matter why. It's the fact.

Cheers.

Was Boudicca still at war with Napoleon? Sounds like she picked the other side, unfortunate for you...

I don`t know. I never checked. Heck, I didn`t even she had been at war with him.

Kill her and take her stuff, man.

Frankly it isn't just Boudicca, it's a lot of the AI's. I mean, christ, even Stalin would at least PRETEND to be grateful if you liberated a few of his cities. But nonetheless the insane AI goes on, declaring war at every twist and turn and turning this game more and more into just a military simulator.

Indeed. It`s probably bad AI. Hope it gets fixed.

p.s. maybe she had already secretly decided to go to war and nothing I do will stop it. Or maybe there really is programming to make someone ridiculousy unappreciative... I`ve just never seen this before. Even Atilla said thanks when I liberated his workers pre-patch.

Whatever, I`m pretty sure war is on the horizon.

The "units on my borders" thing is just super dumb. Similar to the OP's situation, I've had Japan plop a city down on MY border and IMMEDIATELY tell me to DoW or move my troops out of my own territory.

Well, I sacked the city and kept rolling all the way to his capital. I don't know why he was so upset, he asked me to move my Chu-Ko-Nu, I moved them....

Seriously though, this thing and the "friendship" begging really needs to either be given to the player or be seriously reworked. I'm tired of getting a diplo hit because I won't give half my gold to the guy who has fallen on "hard times" with his 3000 gold + 156 gpt.

I don`t know. I never checked. Heck, I didn`t even she had been at war with him.

Indeed. It`s probably bad AI. Hope it gets fixed.

p.s. maybe she had already secretly decided to go to war and nothing I do will stop it. Or maybe there really is programming to make someone ridiculousy unappreciative... I`ve just never seen this before. Even Atilla said thanks when I liberated his workers pre-patch.

Whatever, I`m pretty sure war is on the horizon.

I agree with your p.s. statement. That's how I view these AI antics. They didn't like me before and the liberation doesn't change things. I've returned workers only to have war declared later. Is it programmed this way intentionally ? Don't know.

But I don't mind the AI behavior as I rationalize it in a similar manner as your p.s. statement.

But I don't mind the AI behavior as I rationalize it in a similar manner as your p.s. statement.

I guess it`s not beyond the bounds of possibility that if a human Leader really hates you, then they would be this awkward. Sure.

But even in real life I would be at a loss to see what I did that deserves this `hatred` from her.

Quote from the patch notes:"The player will receive a diplomacy bonus with the liberated player for liberating up to three cities."

I don't know if that's the only time you receive one, but that's just what it says.

Quote from the patch notes:"The player will receive a diplomacy bonus with the liberated player for liberating up to three cities."

I don't know if that's the only time you receive on, but that's just what it says.

Interesting. But that still means I should get some kind of plus for just one liberation. A bonus just adds on top of that.

I did read your OP. "Cool" is vague and doesn't tell me your actual relationship. Just because there was no war doesn't mean she's a friendly. And last time I checked, you don't need a DoF to Open Borders (unless this is a post-Fall patch thing, which I doubt). Since you also mention your reply to Celts was doing what you want, I'd imagine it's not as "cool" as it seems.

Also, no, if you are apologetic you lose NO influence with Manilla. Not sure what you've been reading. Unless it's about protection of CS you would not lose CS influence if you just said sorry.

I did read your OP. "Cool" is vague and doesn't tell me your actual relationship. Just because there was no war doesn't mean she's a friendly. And last time I checked, you don't need a DoF to Open Borders (unless this is a post-Fall patch thing, which I doubt). Since you also mention your reply to Celts was doing what you want, I'd imagine it's not as "cool" as it seems.

Also, no, if you are apologetic you lose NO influence with Manilla. Not sure what you've been reading. Unless it's about protection of CS you would not lose CS influence if you just said sorry.

Look, m8. Stop arguing for arguing sake. This is not a dick measuring contest. It`s as I said and it`s illogical. Boudica should not have reacted that way unless she`s determined to go to war and the Devs haven`t programmed this part of the game quite right.

I won`t argue with you any more on it.

Moderator Action: :nono: please don't troll around.

I don't really get why my post seem so offensive to you. It's a differing view point, yes, but I haven't insulted you except criticized some aspects of gameplay. You, however, call me a dick who don't read the opening post. The ad hominem sounds more offensive, tbh.

My posts are trying to figure out some game mechanics I find puzzling in your posts. You seem to suggest you need to be friends to open borders and CS is affected when you apologize. None of these seem to be true so I'm asking why.

It's not like I disgree with the entirety of your post either. I also despise the DoW thing when my units are near their borders (surprised this wasn't addressed in Fall patch) but there are some areas I'm questioning that isn't making much sense to me. I'm open to learning new things but if you still see this as an offensive attack towards you, feel free to ignore it.

I had a similar instance where I liberated Mongolia (Austria was dominating big time and he bordered them so I needed all the help I could get to stall her).

Genghis Khan immediately said "stop settling new cities near me" and that wasn't even a penalty i had before i liberated him. Eventually we became great friends so it was never really a long-term problem

I had a similar instance where I liberated Mongolia (Austria was dominating big time and he bordered them so I needed all the help I could get to stall her).

Genghis Khan immediately said "stop settling new cities near me" and that wasn't even a penalty i had before i liberated him. Eventually we became great friends so it was never really a long-term problem

Ah, interesting. Cheers.

I rebuffed Napoleon and drove him back to his nearest city and I took it. This city once belonged to Boudica of the Celts and I was given the option of liberating it for her. I thought about it... Boudica and I were not at war, but our relations had been cool. She recently warned me not to be too friendly with manila (CS) because she wanted to be friends with it. I told her I`d do what I like.:

Sorry sounds pretty normal happens in real life.

I dont want you spending so much time with xxx.

Chill girl i do what i want.

:mad:Never ending war unto the nth generation.

Top Bottom