Civnet contacts thread

Brainly said:
"Application Error
CIVNET caused a General Protection Fault in module CIVNET.EXE at 0019:041A.
Choose close. CIVNET will close."

Any suggestions? OS is Windows 2000... Not a blue screen or anything, just a dialog box stating that error. No loading screens showing, just that error immideately after I click on the exe.
the only thing i can tell is that it runs in win98se well.
that means you can run it on athlons or p4 with win98se and all is o.k. ...
maybe bootselect 2 systems: first install f.e. win98se and 2nd win2000 so win2000 makes win98se bootselectable.
or use -as i do- an older pentium machine (with a cheap 'realtek' network card) for the game.
it runs stable on old Pentium 200 MMX with 96 MB (or less RAM) or old AMD 500er and so on...

OK, guys.
All contacts posted in the various threads in the past months have been added. Reallife destroyed my CFC life but sometimes I'll check CFC out.
Perhaps it would be an idea to plan a game sometime in the future. I haven't played civnet yet against others...

... ...
did anybody here EVER played civnet online via internet?
i mean - how does the connection work without a server on the net -
IP-to-IP direct connections?
tcp / ip protocol as far as i did read... :rolleyes:

I connected with GenghisK once just to test whether it would work, he was too busy to play... Just fill in the other ones ip adress and you're done. Very easy.

Zwelgje said:
I connected with GenghisK once just to test whether it would work, he was too busy to play... Just fill in the other ones ip adress and you're done. Very easy.
is it possible to play with 7 others this way - i mean ... 7 IP-adresses ...?
... ports too?

EDiT:
you are right - network setup is VERY easy (with the '96 patch) :)

check your IP online
http://checkip.dyndns.org/
or with your system tools

i just set up a game
with my great 7islands map - see it attached.
7 BiG islands for 7 players - unfortunately the game always sets 2 players on the same island ... this is not the final version of 7islands the version in game is corrected to more equal sized islands and equal resources! :crazyeye:

final 7islands.map file is added as a ZiP attachment so that you can explore the map yourself!

game data
started today 19:22

GoldBerg is host...

Attachments

• 7islands_map.jpg
    7islands_map.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 185
That's nice but if how do you wanna play?
For people to log onto your game you need to give them your ip adress. (don't post it here though)

I figure it's best to pick a date and time to start playing, start a thread and people that want to join can write into that thread. You can also try to contact people through mail who have expressed their interest earlier in this thread. I don't think everybody checks this thread everyday. ;)

Zwelgje said:
That's nice but if how do you wanna play?
For people to log onto your game you need to give them your ip adress. (don't post it here though)

I figure it's best to pick a date and time to start playing, start a thread and people that want to join can write into that thread. You can also try to contact people through mail who have expressed their interest earlier in this thread. I don't think everybody checks this thread everyday. ;)
it's difficult because of the different timezones too... :rolleyes: :crazyeye:
it's difficult because of the dynamic IP's again and so one...

...can you check again if you can connect...?

Zwelgje said:
Send me your ip via personal message.
the strange thing is that the game wants MY ip from me 1st... if i am online the game (and IP) is announced anyway - why do the game want my IP?

got this inbetween the game:

(see attachment)

Attachments

• netbuffer.jpg
    netbuffer.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 268
Anonymoose_au said:
Howdy

I'd like to play.. catching me as I'm on other side of the world may be hard.

MSN: asterix_au@hotmail.com
yahoo: mr_araz

Cheers, Brian

PS: where to get the latest patch for it?

You can get a 1.03 patch at gamespot along with 10 scenarios.

GoldBerg said:
... ...
did anybody here EVER played civnet online via internet?
i mean - how does the connection work without a server on the net -
IP-to-IP direct connections?
tcp / ip protocol as far as i did read... :rolleyes:

I have, with a couple of pals from work here. Just choose TCP/IP and set the game settings, then the other players choose TCP/IP and type in your IP and it WON'T work. Then after messing with your firewalls for an hour or two you can get it to work!

Zwelgje said:
Goldberg has already played, against me.
That's what all the posts on this page are about. ;)

So who won? And how did you guys play? You can't play science while the other person plays war can you? I've just started a game with 2 friends from work. Hopefully we can continue the game this week. It's kind of sad though because they are newbs so i'm researching University while they are researching Ceremonial Burial. But they'll learn. I just can't wait to see their responses when I launch a spaceship before 1000 AD.

Zwelgje said:
Heh, Goldberg got his ass kicked 3 times in a row by the AI after about 20 turns or so.
Sorry Goldberg, but it was really funny...

lol. That must suck. Go to all the trouble and your opponent gets killed by the AI.

I'll make sure to help my buddies should they get in trouble.

Zwelgje said:
Not that much you can do within the first 20 turns.
I was still setting up my cities, had 2-3 cities each time and then it happened.

No, i'm not saying you could have done more. It takes time to learn to play Civ. I doubt I even know best how to play it even as much as I have.

Top Bottom