End of Empires - N3S III

Double, b-awwwwww :(

I'm going to take control of the Eso Soggo Clan. Let's hope I can get Krato up to snuff quickly before something bad happens :p I'm the blue clan then, right? If so, then I have control of the Kratoan colonies to the south?

The Law-Giver of the Evyn, in his mercy, offers the Duke of Liang the following submission: accept him as your better, and renounce all claims to any territory under his domain. Accept his authority over the Ming, and accept your place as his vassal. Submit troops to his calls, pay your share of his taxes, and obey his laws. In return, he will accept your continued rule in his name, and will allow your heresy to continue in peace. Your unwillingness to accept his generous offer will result in the continued destruction of your peoples.

To: The Evyni

Never! Never in the coming of a thousand suns shall we submit to you. We would rather see the destruction of the God-Empire ten thousand more times than become your vassals.

I'm going to take control of the Eso Soggo Clan. Let's hope I can get Krato up to snuff quickly before something bad happens :p I'm the blue clan then, right? If so, then I have control of the Kratoan colonies to the south?

No, the southern colonies have been taken by a heretofore unknown power.

The Thorsrdyn of Evyn decries the greed of the Duke of Liang. Your refusal has ensured the misery of those in your lands, and their cries will be carried solely upon your shoulders. As he is honor-bound to carry his word, the Thorsrdyn of Evyn will offer no further chance for submission. With your greed, the last of the Duchies will fall.

The Thorsrdyn of Evyn is insulted by the mere notion that the minnow of Ateuma considers itself worthy of negotiation with the Empire. After much thought, and discourse amongst his advisors, has agreed upon a lesser degree of vassalage- in recognition of the admittance of your folly. The Empire will offer what protection may be needed, and may allow a few Ateumans entrance into our Oirnaoss, should they wish so. Should the Thorsrdyn call for men from Ateuma, however, the Ateumans will be required to serve under our generals. They will be organized into regiments of their own, and under an appointed leader from your lands, but they will still be subjugated to the command of Anyais. An order given by the Evyni command will not be disrespected, and should any commander from your lands dare such, it will be considered traitorous.

As for the issue of taxes and tribute, the Thorsrdyn has considered that a matter of mistranslation has occurred. The tax he demands in not set in gold nor monetary value, but instead in the work and labor of men. The codices of these taxes are archaic, but they are tradition and are held to the entire empire. The main tax that the Thorsrdyn seeks to collect is the work tax, which involves males donating a year to the state upon their seventeenth year. In recognition of the distances involved with the Empire, the Thorsrdyn will accept the work tax performed within the Ateuman lands, done in his name. The Empire does not need seek monetary payment.

Ateuma, should it find good graces with the Thorsrdyn, may grow- so long as they do not seek to deny the Empire its lands, specifically those of the decaying Shu. The Rhon, and its tributaries, are property of the Empire.

(An Oirnaoss is a centered place of learning; while mostly dedicated to the faith Ytauizi, there is one or two dedicated to military matters. Anyais is the capital of Evyn, the old Arille.)

I believe the Duroc were fairly Uggorish but are now becoming more Duroc again with a little help from me. A summary and also an essay on Oneism and Duroc culture will be posted as soon as I have time.

The Thorsrdyn of Evyn sends word to the leaders of Gallat: we have clashed in the past, in the arenas of thought and war. However, the Law-Giver does not wish for this to continue. He seeks friendship with those worthy, and offers your people a most generous offer. The island of Rito will be opened to your merchants once more, and there they may trade freely. He will turn a blind eye to the island's population, and will allow them to worship your idols, if they must. That right will be extended to the northern territories (Taudo), in exchange for a tax levied upon those believers. In return, all he asks is that your people be respectful of our traditions, do not interfere in our politics, and do not seek to spread your heresy within our core territories. Most generous, no?

Yes, most generous. The people of Evyn have earned our respect. We will respect all which you request of us; we ask of you and expect the same in return. Strife is not of the Faith. May peace reign across the Sinsar.

OOC: Yes, that confirms that I will still be around as Gallat.

IC:

To: Ederru

We have taken notice of the struggles of your civilized land in resisting the barbaric and destructive Stettin peoples. The light of the Faith can shine only through refinement and civilization. We offer the people of Ederru our armies and pledge of support against the Stettins if you would convert to the Faith and agree to enter into the greater alliance of Holy Nations.

To: Stettin tribes of the Faith

In keeping with the holy precepts, we offer you entrance into the realm of civilization if you agree to the protection of Gallat and the way of the Faith forever more.

To: Barbarian Stettins (i.e., non-converts)
From: The Holy Order of the Northern Acolytes of the Faith*

Surrender and convert, or you will all die, and your peoples will be wiped from the memory of the world.

*Story forthcoming.

To: Abirae

Our peoples have long been enemies, but now is the time to put aside past rivalries. We offer a more permanent peace and trade, including protection against barbarian enemies, provided the people of Abirae do not interfere in Gallatene politics.

The Inm-Anmar is the name of the strait between Gallat and Seadol (or the Sinsar and the Yadyevu). I'll work it into my stories about the Northern Order.

To: The Evyni Empire

The democratic capital of Aeropo City finds the Thorsrdyn to be a wise and reasonable leader. Our soldiers will serve under the banner of the Evyni Empire. And our youth would most certainly benefit from a labor tax and service in our lands. We accept this agreement.

I believe the Duroc were fairly Uggorish but are now becoming more Duroc again with a little help from me.

That's not how cultural evolution works.

Any idea on when stats are going to be up? I realise you are probably planning to revamp the rules first, and will be only happy to help, but it would be rather useful for planning. Alternatively, some sort of rough strength estimates for various Krato and Satar groups would do for now.

I'll do the warring parties' stats first. Current outline I'm looking at is something like this:

Nation - Player
Culture:
Government:
Religion:
Income: Domestic + Trade
Permanent Expenses:
-Infrastructure:
-Military Upkeep:
Available Spending:
Military (Upkeep):
Manpower (Used/Available):
Description:

Additions: split income so you can see where things come from, infrastructure as a visible expenditure (debating whether to put patronage in there), available spending because my spending rules inevitably confuse people (and having to do math while writing orders is silly). Manpower has been clarified (hopefully).

More important will be rebalancing the stats, mostly income and military. I might streamline the military to only a few units, because the current system is annoying the crap out of me...

Right, that is better. Permanent expenses are good too. I would've added court maintenance (you know, what lots of real history rulers have spent a huge part of their budget on and reducing which was the (failed) agenda of lots of real history reformers; could be extended to "personal prestige maintenance" in general, so as to include state ceremonies and similar, except I can't come up with a better name and ultimately am inclined to think that "the court" covers it well enough) and fortresses (unless the latter are under either military or infrastructure as it is).

Patronage probably isn't a permanent expense, though; it's a one-time investment into intangibles of prestige and culture, even if it is advisable to keep it up consistently.

Right, that is better. Permanent expenses are good too. I would've added court maintenance (you know, what lots of real history rulers have spent a huge part of their budget on and reducing which was the (failed) agenda of lots of real history reformers; could be extended to "personal prestige maintenance" in general, so as to include state ceremonies and similar, except I can't come up with a better name and ultimately am inclined to think that "the court" covers it well enough) and fortresses (unless the latter are under either military or infrastructure as it is).

Good points. I'll consider all of them.

Patronage probably isn't a permanent expense, though; it's a one-time investment into intangibles of prestige and culture, even if it is advisable to keep it up consistently.

Aye, it's not. By patronage, I was trying to sum up "personal prestige maintenance" in one word. :p

Whatever makes it easier for you, is fine by me. I can't really think of obvious suggestions.

Words I, V
Of man’s first disobedience, and the turning, little can be said, the Ancestors despairing of their children, who when given offerings, of damasked fruit, of honey, of grain, rejected in candor them, and unto us did they say, ‘thou hath forsaken us, and been forsaken in turn, thine own path is now open, ours is no longer the way’, and thus did the Lady plead, ‘Father, Mother, for what purpose am I?’ and to this, much aggrieved, for he loved her so, did The Lord reply, ‘for your path is now free of ours, and ours yours, and for ever after must it be so, but it is through you, and yours, that the people shall reach Salvation; let none say otherwise’, through the door, down the road, into Sies sitting whole on the horizon, great towers, and temples, ships in port, dancing of the once dead in streets, whole for all eternity;

and with this did he step forward, and after him came a host, masks of bronze, of silver, of gold, burnished bright, against crimson dusk and burning biers, black pall hanging, and the last of them, fine dress, fair of feature, said unto Thy Lady ‘and verily, did we pass, and Our Lord as well, for we were weak, pity did hold its place in our hearts, and that is our folly’, and Our Lady replied, ‘you would deprive us of a home, for that thou shall not have a home’, to which not a single word sufficed but warning, ‘ware! thou art never safe, for our kin lie eternal, waiting’, and through the door, down the road, into steppes which stretch for eternity, nothing to weaken, only vultures in the distance, always waiting, for those who stray, peace in violence, peace in solitude, peace through solitude;

and after them did come a Lord, bright as the sun, a crown of pearls adorning his head, and he spoke, ‘thou must remember that thine city burnt, and that mine to did burn, and for that, we are linked, one unto the other, eternity without end, and with this passing, did thou take over, and that I welcome, for I have like my kin been tired for so long’, and Our Lady, ‘Sleep kindly, for thou hath deserved it, thy people prosper yet, thy world while broken is not yet finished, and will in time be repaired’, and he said ‘Sooth, for thy children shall be as us, and we shall be thankful, for thy life will be not of ours, and thou will see us again’, and for that only a single tear sufficed, cruelty at knowing, something we all know, for it is our fate, and through the door, into another city rebuilt anew, sun sitting at noon, always;

host after host, departed in this manner, and each unto their own, imparted Our Lady with their wards, and these she accumulated, more than the burden held by an other, more than was her right, or indeed desire, but she accepted them, and Our every burden was imparted upon her shoulders, and this would our basis, our hope, our dreams, our eternity, end without end, world without beginning, shape without form, meaning without meaning, until…

Good points. I'll consider all of them.

Aye, it's not. By patronage, I was trying to sum up "personal prestige maintenance" in one word. :p

Okay, I sort of confused myself there too. To rephrase the thought: prestige is both maintained over time via the court, rituals and so on and can also be invested into in a one-off fashion (i.e. spending money on new palaces and obelisks, throwing money at arts and sciences, etc.).

Oh, and thanks (both to you and to Iggy, from what I understand) for throwing the Farun into chaos. I hate good and happiness, so having the one state that has been doing relatively well for a time (you know, Thlayli's shenanigans aside) collapse bloodily is appreciated. ;) A nice, dynamic update overall, even though you'd think the Satar would stop coming back from the dead eventually. I guess this is what the (RL) Ming emperors felt like for most of the 15th century.

He means men who are currently serving or manpower that has been 'used up' enlisting new divisions of a nation's army or navy.

Okay, I sort of confused myself there too. To rephrase the thought: prestige is both maintained over time via the court, rituals and so on and can also be invested into in a one-off fashion (i.e. spending money on new palaces and obelisks, throwing money at arts and sciences, etc.).

I think we're getting at the same thing: both some (small) permanent expenditure and (larger) turn-by-turn spur of the moment expenditures.

Top Bottom