Final Fixes Reborn

so i did a bunch of tries all day, and only way i get a crash on load similar to what cthom described is by changing the name of the Mod folder ( it somehow messes with the art files, looking into it right now). Apart from that, i haven't been able to get anything reliably.

Randomness, your crash is likely unrelated and i'll still need your save file if possible.

odd, i haven't done any name changing. i'll try again when i finish work (with a Play Now, then custom) and see what happens. maybe i got a corrupt d/l.

After I posted, I reverted my copy so I could play a game so I don't have any saves of the crash. I updated again now to see if I could reproduce the crash, but everything works now...

right click on the folder, choose "update to revision" and choose the revision number (for you 228).

if at some point you're willing to try helping me look into the bug, i'll send you a debug version of the dll to see what your bug is in more depth.

Revision 229, tried to games as Svartalfar. Crashed upon settling first city both times.

Tried again using Sheaim, was able to settle. I will try a 4th time as I also switched to using a shortcut to load instead of the AOE launcher on this third try.

Launching from shortcut fixed it. Able to get several hundred turns in. Thanks for your work on this!

I've got an odd bug report, for a friend of mine. He is running the steam version (I've verified that he has 3.19) For him the SVN builds refuse to load unless the folder it's in is named "Ashes of Erebus." Case sensitive. This is a little annoying, because we wanted to play multi-player, and, for me, the "Ashes of Erebus" folder contains 14.11. I always put the SVN builds in a numbered folder, so I know for sure what version I'm running.

This is by no means a game breaking bug, just weird, and got me wondering if some bugs people have had that you can seem to duplicate come from having some version in the Ashes of Erebus folder, while running a SVN build in a different folder.

Revision 229, tried to games as Svartalfar. Crashed upon settling first city both times.

Tried again using Sheaim, was able to settle. I will try a 4th time as I also switched to using a shortcut to load instead of the AOE launcher on this third try.

Launching from shortcut fixed it. Able to get several hundred turns in. Thanks for your work on this!
so there's an issue with the launcher ?

I've got an odd bug report, for a friend of mine. He is running the steam version (I've verified that he has 3.19) For him the SVN builds refuse to load unless the folder it's in is named "Ashes of Erebus." Case sensitive. This is a little annoying, because we wanted to play multi-player, and, for me, the "Ashes of Erebus" folder contains 14.11. I always put the SVN builds in a numbered folder, so I know for sure what version I'm running.

This is by no means a game breaking bug, just weird, and got me wondering if some bugs people have had that you can seem to duplicate come from having some version in the Ashes of Erebus folder, while running a SVN build in a different folder.

yeah i noticed the name thing last week, i'm not exactly sure what the issue is, i haven't been able to find any direct link to the name in the code.

Hi, been playing a lot, in my recent campaign I was attacked by Pegasi, a lot. They razed 3 of my cities.
I always thought that they weren't able to attack and that animals can't enter borders, so what happened?

they aren't prevented from attacking cities ( or attacking at all) but contrary to barbarians, they won't specifically try to find a target ( which means they only attack something that is in range)

They also can cross borders unless you choose the option Timid Animals.

(though, for Pegasi, it appears their AI isn't listed as Animal AI but basic barbarian AI, which is probably the main reason of your issue, i'll change it)

so i'm looking for some help for three long-term projects for the mod :

1) i've reviewed the AI personalities of the leaders and there's plenty of possibilities we aren't using to make the leaders stand out more from each others. I need people motivated to tweak those values on all leaders to match their lore personality better. (It would involve editing xml files, i've written a guideline on how to modify each tag for each kind of leader and can answer any question you may have)

2) The way the AI evaluates overall army strength currently completely leaves promotions out. The Dll code for it is done but i need people motivated to assignate basic power values to promotions so that the AI is better at evaluating its own strengths. (once again, it's xml editing and there'll be a guideline)

3) this one is for everyone. I want a full list of every mechanic, unit, building, spell underexplained or unexplained in the pedia. (i mean basic explanation, not in depth strategy) I've already started to fix that by adding explanations for a dozen spells that were lacking it last revision.

Thank you all

they aren't prevented from attacking cities ( or attacking at all) but contrary to barbarians, they won't specifically try to find a target ( which means they only attack something that is in range)

They also can cross borders unless you choose the option Timid Animals.

(though, for Pegasi, it appears their AI isn't listed as Animal AI but basic barbarian AI, which is probably the main reason of your issue, i'll change it)

Thanks, it was just weird for me (and annoying) because they can move a lot and my warriors were no match for them.

2) The way the AI evaluates overall army strength currently completely leaves promotions out. The Dll code for it is done but i need people motivated to assignate basic power values to promotions so that the AI is better at evaluating its own strengths. (once again, it's xml editing and there'll be a guideline)

I'd be willing to try my hand at that, although it's possible not everyone will agree with how I rank promotions. Also, I've been working on some more civilopedia fluff for you. I'll post it once I can come up with some good flavor text for the Fishing and Bronze Working techs.

I'd be willing to try my hand at that, although it's possible not everyone will agree with how I rank promotions. Also, I've been working on some more civilopedia fluff for you. I'll post it once I can come up with some good flavor text for the Fishing and Bronze Working techs.

as i said earlier, there'll be a guideline for promotions, so i won't leave you alone with it. I'll send you a pm with the details later today

Hi : On CLan and OPness...

I'm playing my first clan game since...almost ever.
I'm finding them a bit OP ; at least against the AI.

the combination of their "burning blood" action (that gives +1/-1), and having boss around is devastating ; especially with having peace with barbs.

in Monarch (8civ, standard map) I razed 2 AI before turn 50 (I got a bit of money from a dungeon), and 2 boss, with 3 warriors... (no defense in my cities were needed) summoned 4 warriors for 80gold ; the bosses had (due to animal fight) 5-6xp : 1 increased attack + 1 command limit : using 7 4/2:str: warriors +26% from free combat1 + combat increase : I rased that first civ.... (sheaim: those evil cold-blooded necromancers !) without loss.
Then, taking the time to heal, I directly attacked the balseraphs (dangerous psychopath is better in geol than at the head of the neighboring country... let's help those poor balseraph citizen!!)... same problem, same solution, but with better promoted bosses and warriors.

It's like having bronze when others don't have it !

then, I slowly took time to get RoK for money, then bronze... while exploring with those nice "3moves-boss that do not fear barbs ... and can summon a troll in case of danger" then construction for Ogres...
but before needing to build ogres... I sent my troops against khazad....(turn 120) ... those greedy and smelly dwarves that pollute the planet with all their mining and crafting ! (in fact, i wouldn't have needed to explore so much.. I could have attacked them directly... but I over-reacted and wanted to get bronze, and develop a bit my territory before re-attacking)

1war boss (great general won due to xp won), + 2boss, each with lvl2-3 to attack, and 7 bronze warriors .. (I left afew in defense of cities in case barb stop the peace);.. and the reinforcements (3units) had time to upgrade to axemen.

turn 130, the kazad lost to 5/3 warriors lvl 4-5-6 (bronze warriors as strong as iron warriors !, and in-extremis, I could even let my axes have a bit of fun)

then... oh, here are the calabims... dangerous eaters of baby orcs !!
same : razed... ok. now I got a second war boss.... let's explore a bit of graveyards to get 2xp... then apprenticeship.
then... get big-boss
FOR the HORD: I can give loyalty to 16 formerly-barb units, + all my already promoted bronze warriors-now-axemen + 2-3 ogres.

I'm going toward the other side of the continent... where I know is at least the Bannor... to which I sent "emissaries" (axe+4 workers) to build a road, for..... commerce ;)

I'm expecting that in 50 turns I'll have razed all the ennemies, while myself having built only 2 cities, and having a total of 4 cities (2 ennemies capitals).

and I didn't play very aggressively.

maybe Clan needs a bit of re-balance ?

after a quick read, the two major issues i'm seeing are 1) the hiring/summoning thing which ain't really needed i think and 2) there's no real disadvantages to Bosses units. I'll think about it

after a quick read, the two major issues i'm seeing are 1) the hiring/summoning thing which ain't really needed i think and 2) there's no real disadvantages to Bosses units. I'll think about it
there's a disadvantage : no real way to capture animals ; no better results from village/lair... ; no free "wolf rider" when you kill a wolf, no use from poison blade / recon equipement, no units that can upgrade to assassin with promotion...

further, if you remove the hiring part of boss, they would lose their main interest (even if I didn't make much use of it, due to OPness of warriors/axes).
having low str commanders is not really useful until mid-late game, or when you need to channel the "for the hord units" so for scouts replacement it's a problem.

honestly, the major issue for me was the possibility of +1str when you attack.
the rest is just support that helped to gather momentum... but I could have worked without it. (building 7 warriors is not too hard, then a GC, and the end is exactly the same) (I summoned only 4warriors) ; +10 or even +20% would not have the same effect.

But still you can only use burning blood because you can have the Boss ensuring loyalty.
Anyway, i'll try to find something, suggestions are welcome
o.O
I didn't notice that the burning blood gave me a risk of becoming barb...

I used it even on units not linked to a boss ... maybe I didn't even noticed I was taking a risk xD

I'll have to check that..

World builder seems not to be working correctly - when I open it, the windows start minimised and I can't select tiles/do anything, really. The world builder interface also remains after I close it.

Top Bottom