Prince of Darkness Scenario

Good stuff. I go to the part when I had the hawk and ranger from the isle, but couldn't destroy the gates of Dis. I rebased the hawk to the Bannor city and got a Infernal victory. Also the other city (in red above the scores) was Elohim owned and when I rebased there I got the same result. The hawk didn't do anything flying over the gates themselves, nor the ranger.

Even with the text it was a little confusing what to do with the hawk.

I go to the part when I had the hawk and ranger from the isle, but couldn't destroy the gates of Dis. I rebased the hawk to the Bannor city and got a Infernal victory.
You must wait until the ranger is just by the gate to blow him. So you probably rebased when the ranger was too far away, and thus you'd never be able to destroy the gates, hence the Infernals victory.
The city in which to rebase is random, so I don't know which one was the good one. If the ranger blows and you rebased in a different city from the one written in red, it's clearly a bug.
I'll try to make the text more explicit.

Excellent Scenario, but getting a constant replicable CTD. Have been into the worldbuilder and deleted a few things, but no difference (Stephanos getting attacked by the Elohim to the north, The Infernals capturing an Amurite city between me and the Lanun).

Annoying since I really want to finish it :p

Attachments

• Beeri Bawl AD-0297.CivBeyondSwordSave
    500.8 KB · Views: 112
Azhral, this is really bad. I reproduce it too and the only things I know so far is that it it not (directly) python-related, so I'll have a hard time getting rid of it.
I got a debugger info about an access violation around CvGameCoreDll::getSymbolOffsetY, but that doesn't help me. I'll check with Kael if I can get the code and some pdbs to find where the crash comes from.

this looks like fun. im going to give it a try once im done with the official scenarios.

I tried playing this over the weekend. From what I can tell the special code wasn't working. For example there was no opening screen, and from looking at your code it seems like its supposed to have a popup.

I installed your 0.2 version over FfH. Let me know if there is something else I can do.

Yes, you should have a popup on start.

I don't know why it wouldn't work, so a few fool-proof checks:
-Do you use my version of ScenarioFunctions.py with the import PrinceOfDarknessScenario / class ScenarioFunctions: stuff?
-Is the map named Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness.CivBeyondSwordWBSave?

Now, I suppose that is the case, but there may be a problem in choosing the right scenariofunctions class after a save/load. Did you try to run this scenario first, and from the Play a Scenario menu? If not, it might not work if you started another game before as I don't have an entrypoint on open/load.

If you have all the good files, start the game with Play a Scenario, pick Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness and it still doesn't work, try changing the line 2529 of ScenarioFunctions.py:
Remove the "if" in
if ('Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness.CivBeyondSwordWBSave' in CyMap().getMapScriptName()):
self.forward = PrinceOfDarknessScenario.ScenarioFunctionsPOD()
You should get hopefully the popup now.

Yes, you should have a popup on start.

I don't know why it wouldn't work, so a few fool-proof checks:
-Do you use my version of ScenarioFunctions.py with the import PrinceOfDarknessScenario / class ScenarioFunctions: stuff?
-Is the map named Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness.CivBeyondSwordWBSave?

Now, I suppose that is the case, but there may be a problem in choosing the right scenariofunctions class after a save/load. Did you try to run this scenario first, and from the Play a Scenario menu? If not, it might not work if you started another game before as I don't have an entrypoint on open/load.

If you have all the good files, start the game with Play a Scenario, pick Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness and it still doesn't work, try changing the line 2529 of ScenarioFunctions.py:
Remove the "if" in
if ('Map-for-Prince-of-Darkness.CivBeyondSwordWBSave' in CyMap().getMapScriptName()):
self.forward = PrinceOfDarknessScenario.ScenarioFunctionsPOD()
You should get hopefully the popup now.

I tried to load it just from the map file. Going through the play scenario options worked perfectly and Im playing now and having a lot of fun. More feedback will be coming.

I tried to load it just from the map file. Going through the play scenario options worked perfectly and Im playing now and having a lot of fun. More feedback will be coming.

Thank you for giving me the secret to playing the scenario :p

Glad it finally worked for you both. I'll bold the corresponding instruction in the first post so it's more obvious.

I just got finished playing this scenario. Very fun! I really enjoyed the linear quests and how the scenario progressed.

Spoiler :
I played as the Calabim, which was quite a challenge. While they have perhaps the most room to expand, their land is very short on fresh water, hills and happiness resources. But since Flauros is a financial leader, cottage spamming quickly turned me into a tech monster.

The Sheiam seem to be in a similar position. In fast game on turn 250 Os-Gabella had yet to adopt any religion or progress past bronze axemen. Her land seemed to be mostly plains covered with cottages. I think she might need some more grassland or food resources to help her out.

Oh yeah. And the whole ranger and hawk thing kinda threw me for a loop as well. For some reason I kept thinking I had to bring the ranger to the city. This was really the hardest part of the game. Getting a fleet of ships all the way from the Calabim lands through the gauntlet of pirates and privateers all the way up to that island to get the ranger.

What I really liked, oddly enough, was the lack of mana nodes. It really adds a little more flavor to a civ when you are only limited to a set few schools of magic. With all the sailing I had to do I vassalized Falamar just to get his air mana!

Great job!

What I really liked, oddly enough, was the lack of mana nodes. It really adds a little more flavor to a civ when you are only limited to a set few schools of magic
Yes, it's one of the features I like most. It's what makes the Amurites so powerful with regards to other civs. Their starting mana rocks, but it rarely shows in regular FfH games.
Spoiler :

That's also a good reason to move and take Babel. It's not mandatory to do so (although it helps keep the AC a bit lower), but you can get one mana node down there, which is pretty rare.
Calabim should also be able to get Fire mana with the Pyre of the Seraphic not too far.

Regarding Calabim starting lands, they have lush lands to raise lots of "cattle". The Calabim nobles don't really need production, they need food... :satan: Of course it can be a little annoying for the player.

The Sheiam seem to be in a similar position.
Well, they start with lots of land. They shouldn't be too powerful either. What's more, they can't build champions even when they have the tech.

Regarding the ranger, I know it's awkward. I had to find a way to trigger an effect without having access to the user interface code. A spell would have been much nicer but I couldn't do it with the restrictions of the contest. I might have been able to replace the national spell with this one, but it would probably have been confusing too.

I thought this scenario was a lot of fun. The best part about it was the pacing. Specifically the balance of nearby things to do and remote things to do. I had my global quest stuff that I could work on when I had time, but I also had a normal host of roudy neighbors to keep under control. It makes for a great mix and I was never bored.

The map design is also excellent with lots of interesting places to explore. The starting location is especially interesting and gives the player a lot of ways to expand his empire, and different strategies to consider.

On the negative side the starting hero is so powerful that I felt like the game became about running around with him and beating everything up. Thats a tendancy of FfH in general, but I thought it was even more pronounced in this scenario. I would recommend making him less powerful and maybe allowing him to be rebuilt or respawn if killed. Nikis-Knight did that with Decius in the Decius line scenarios and I think it worked really well. Allowed you to use a reasonably balanced hero without be over-punished if he dies.

I take it that this mod doesn't work?

I haven't updated it to 3.19 but there's no major change so it might still be working.
If you didn't manage to make it work, I'll try to update it (but I must manage to reinstall BtS with a half-broken CD after a sysstem cleanup - I'll probably have to find a hacked no-cd version).

Really enjoying the scenario so far!

Comments:
Spoiler :
When I finally found a mana node in Os-Gabella's lands I was over-enjoyed. I was just going to stick to keeping the city of Babel, but after that I decided "well, might as well get the mana node, heck, let's conquer her whole civ" :devil:

Question (I'm stumped!):
Spoiler :
Where is the Isle of Deception? I just finished the Flying Castle event, but I have no idea where the island is in order to pick up the "dragon's breath".

The Isle you're looking for is far to the north/north east. Either sail around the big continent in the east or fly over it. There's lots of ice around it.

I found a reproducible bug. I'm playing as the Lanun in version 0.41j, and when my black wind gets attacked by a barbarian trireme and levels up to level 7, a pop-up screen comes up in the scenario, with a picture of the ship and some text below it, and the game immediately crashes.

Top Bottom