Multiplayer testing

Well, I would like to report back after some testing on MP.

We started at RoM-AND 2.0, and it was full of OOSs. Mostly every single turn it happened. We changed nothing from default installation.

Then we took the suggestion of moving to the SVN version 2.2 (we are at revision 705) and changed things according to the beginning of this thread. Not only in the game options, but the logging thing too.

So no archer bombard, new random seed on reload, single-threading, same options in BUG and .ini and we can't exchange units yet. We are playing both on Deity and our gameoptions are:
Perfect Mongoose, Gigantic, Marathon, Low sea level.
Most default options with require complete kills, barbarian world and ruthless AI.
I forgot to put starting AIs, but this only delayed the inevitable and made our game easier.

Now we are between 2000BC - 1000BC and not a single OOS happened since the beggining. Until ~2000BC there weren't any other civs, but now there are at least 5 beside us (and they snatched 2 wonders already).

We will keep playing this game and post its development, and I would like to congratulate you guys again, the mod is awesome! Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Nice to know. :) Should you encounter any OOS, please let me have the random log and the OOS log. I've only played at blitz gamespeed in MP and OOS start around medieval era. If I have more logs, I'll see what I can do.

Yes. RyoHazuki and me let's play this weekend a multiplayer game. The only bad thing is that probably we do it in a much slower speed, Marathon or Snail. We know the game is not balanced for those speeds, which is a shame, but we do not care. We do not like playing at faster speeds, sorry.

Even so, we will inform you of everything that happens in those games. Please continue with your good work repairing OOS in multiplayer.

Thank you so much!

what is the most balanced speed?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13220709 said:
At the moment, Blitz and Quick.

Are you planning to ballance the rest of the game speeds?
I think I will never never play on blitz or quick. I prefer snail and eternity.

Are you planning to ballance the rest of the game speeds?
I think I will never never play on blitz or quick. I prefer snail and eternity.

On the other side of the spectrum, I don't think I'll ever play on those two speeds :D
(Similarly, I'm not too interested in Blitz. Quick is as 'fast' as I'll go)

I don't have the attention span nor the patience to sit through a game that damn long, which is why I usually avoid Huge maps and have had zero interest in the Gigantic maps. Actually, I've played a grand total of one Snail speed games, and it was in C2C. Marathon was the slowest I've played in AND, and it was on a Highlands map. Epic's pretty much my comfort spot :king:

Heck, even in Epic I only finish one out of every five AND games. I usually get bored before the Modern era roles around, and have quit two Transhuman games because I couldn't stand the tedium of having to deal with hundreds of aircraft, seacraft, and land units every single turn, and guiding several dozen cities, and and and... >_< Yeah, even in BTS the modern era was my least favorite, because of all the stuff going on. The longer a game takes and the more stuff demanding my attention every turn, the faster I lose interest and move on to something else.

I imagine it will be a very long time before Snail/Eternity speeds get to their balancing phase, given how loooooooooooooong they take to play out, and we still haven't gotten to the Quick/Normal testing phase :(

I generally play Epic or Marathon games on Large or Huge maps, but then I really don't play that many games. I played a "normal" Epic game with the BAT mod and I was shocked that I "only" got 750 or so turns, which felt ridiculously short.

Something quite strange happened some time ago already (I forgot to come here explain it) with the rev 705 game I was playing with a friend (which made us decide to move on to the latest rev to start a new game).

On a specific turn the Byzantine AI declared war on the Hittite (my friend) and this new didn't appear on my screen, despite both of us knowing the byzantines. The turn was passed, and on the following turn the war declaration appeared on my screen, as if it happened on this turn, not on the previous one. As no OOS happened I thought it was only delayed.

But then the Viking AI declared war on my friend too (the same turn that appeared the byzantine war declaration on my screen). But not only this message didn't appear on his screen, as in his game the Viking didn't declare war on him actually.

We both hovered over the Vikings and here it said: War with: Suppiluliuma. And there didn't say he was at war with anyone.

Then as we passed the turn, the OOS happened.

We were with the logging enabled, so if you want any file just tell me what I have to bring here

Something quite strange happened some time ago already (I forgot to come here explain it) with the rev 705 game I was playing with a friend (which made us decide to move on to the latest rev to start a new game).

On a specific turn the Byzantine AI declared war on the Hittite (my friend) and this new didn't appear on my screen, despite both of us knowing the byzantines. The turn was passed, and on the following turn the war declaration appeared on my screen, as if it happened on this turn, not on the previous one. As no OOS happened I thought it was only delayed.

But then the Viking AI declared war on my friend too (the same turn that appeared the byzantine war declaration on my screen). But not only this message didn't appear on his screen, as in his game the Viking didn't declare war on him actually.

We both hovered over the Vikings and here it said: War with: Suppiluliuma. And there didn't say he was at war with anyone.

Then as we passed the turn, the OOS happened.

We were with the logging enabled, so if you want any file just tell me what I have to bring here

I need a savegame and logs from both of you, especially OOSLog and RandomLog. I can't be sure but since something like that never happened to me, it could have something to do with Afforess new option to buy war from other civs. I've always felt there's something missing there when playing MP and causing OOS but I can't be sure.

It has been hard to get files or to even play games in MP these past days, but finally I got one, and it doesn't have anything to do with the past game I was talking about unfortunately.

So I have no idea what caused the OOS. We are both playing with everything right, according to all tips given in this thread. We still don't know each other, and at least I don't know anyone else (I didn't go to his game to see what he knows because this is cheating). We hope we may play this game more, so if possible don't give me unnecessary info about his game in your review 45° (i'm Khmer BTW, he is the Hittite).

So here are all files you need: Both Random Logs, OOS Logs and Save Games

Note: This game had already several OOSs, and we couldn't even reach AD. This is Gigantic Epic, and we are both playing on Deity. Sorry it isn't Blitz, but we can't play a Blitz game and truly enjoy it. After several OOSs I convinced him to give me the files (he thinks I'm going to spy on him or something), so here is my first true report on OOS. I hope we can discover the source of these.

EDIT: BTW, we have start as minors on, and I would guess most civs don't have Writing yet, so many of the options on the game can't be used yet. This is raw old Stone Age.

Attachments

• OOS.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 24
It has been hard to get files or to even play games in MP these past days, but finally I got one, and it doesn't have anything to do with the past game I was talking about unfortunately.

So I have no idea what caused the OOS. We are both playing with everything right, according to all tips given in this thread. We still don't know each other, and at least I don't know anyone else (I didn't go to his game to see what he knows because this is cheating). We hope we may play this game more, so if possible don't give me unnecessary info about his game in your review 45° (i'm Khmer BTW, he is the Hittite).

So here are all files you need: Both Random Logs, OOS Logs and Save Games

Note: This game had already several OOSs, and we couldn't even reach AD. This is Gigantic Epic, and we are both playing on Deity. Sorry it isn't Blitz, but we can't play a Blitz game and truly enjoy it. After several OOSs I convinced him to give me the files (he thinks I'm going to spy on him or something), so here is my first true report on OOS. I hope we can discover the source of these.

EDIT: BTW, we have start as minors on, and I would guess most civs don't have Writing yet, so many of the options on the game can't be used yet. This is raw old Stone Age.

Looks to me something related to starting as minors or possibly a war declaration. Or, more probably, a war declaration following some minor civ settling

45°38'N-13°47'E;13303889 said:
Looks to me something related to starting as minors or possibly a war declaration. Or, more probably, a war declaration following some minor civ settling

Could you see someone who already had writing? Or when you start as minors and find a civ, is this considered a war declaration to the game (as the war is triggered automatically)?

And if it's not too much, could you explain to me how you discovered this? I'm curious to understand about OOSs too (they annoy me so much I would love to learn how to analyze them and help to remove them once and for all).

Top Bottom