Game Speeds and Teching

os79

Deity
I'm playing with Eternity gamespeed. I know, I know! I'm hardcore :lol:!
Anyway, I'm curious whether amount given by Research in game through Commerce or Research in plots and buildings is scaled for game speeds already?
If yes, then I'm fine: I'm just paying the price of playing Eternity speed.
But if not, should there be ways to improve game speeds scaling relating to gaining Research through whatever means available?

EDIT:
I thought about it and realized that there is no need to scale anything. It's meant to take more time to research in Eternity. So no need to reply here. My apologies.

I realize you edited and updated, but the GameSpeed xml has a ton of modifiers that do exactly what you are asking about. Tweak those. ;)

I realize you edited and updated, but the GameSpeed xml has a ton of modifiers that do exactly what you are asking about. Tweak those. ;)

Thanks.

So I haven't played for awhile and was wondering if there are recommended settings? In particular map size + gamespeed. Is blitz still the only 'balanced' gamespeed? Also do you recommend using perfect_mongoose_310?

Perhaps you should put this info somewhere for others to see too. Thanks :)

So I haven't played for awhile and was wondering if there are recommended settings? In particular map size + gamespeed. Is blitz still the only 'balanced' gamespeed? Also do you recommend using perfect_mongoose_310?

Perhaps you should put this info somewhere for others to see too. Thanks :)

I usually play on Epic and it seems fine.

I play with either Eternity or Marathon. Marathon seem good. Eternity, eh, is more for humans than anything else :lol:.

I play on Marathon, and it feels to me that research time is too short and building time is too long, especially for newly-founded cities trying to get up to speed. That is just my opinion from experience.

I've worked a lot on making things balanced but I'm not finished as recent changes are somehow shifting some balance. Anyway game is balanced good enough for every gamespeed; possibly Eternity research is a bit too fast, but I need more testing. The rest of the balance depends on mapsize/handicap. I've only worked on large/huge maps. Larger or smaller maps aren't balanced very good, but I'm working on it. Also Noble up to Monarch are more or less ok; easier levels are really too easy to be balanced. Harder levels still need some work.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13351909 said:
I've worked a lot on making things balanced but I'm not finished as recent changes are somehow shifting some balance. Anyway game is balanced good enough for every gamespeed; possibly Eternity research is a bit too fast, but I need more testing. The rest of the balance depends on mapsize/handicap. I've only worked on large/huge maps. Larger or smaller maps aren't balanced very good, but I'm working on it. Also Noble up to Monarch are more or less ok; easier levels are really too easy to be balanced. Harder levels still need some work.

Ok, I play Gigantic mapsize, Noble difficulty, Eternity speed. Just letting you know that one player play with these settings so you can balance that as soon as possible :). Thank you for the work on that ;).

45°38'N-13°47'E;13351909 said:

Thanks mate. Im eager to give new revision a go. Blitz was a bit hectic for me I must admit :crazyeye:

Ill try normal, large - with a few less civs, immortal, perfect_mongoose_310, with revs on, tech trading off, tech diffusion on, and some of the other advanced diplomacy options off. Ill report back in a couple of weeks and let you know how I go if your interested. Wish me luck :king:

Thanks mate. Im eager to give new revision a go. Blitz was a bit hectic for me I must admit :crazyeye:

Ill try normal, large - with a few less civs, immortal, perfect_mongoose_310, with revs on, tech trading off, tech diffusion on, and some of the other advanced diplomacy options off. Ill report back in a couple of weeks and let you know how I go if your interested. Wish me luck :king:

Just be warned that Immortal could throw everything off balance. If you have any problems in balancing, they might be related to handicap level. If you can, post a save every 200 turns so that I can check how things are developing. Thank you and good luck! :D

I play on Marathon, and it feels to me that research time is too short and building time is too long, especially for newly-founded cities trying to get up to speed. That is just my opinion from experience.

I play on Epic and Marathon and I agree that starting cities take a hell of a long time to properly get started.

I play on blitz because I like getting into the future and get the nice things. Although I like Cavemans 2 Cosmos future they presented with 3 extra stages and gone all the way to the sci-fi we dream up (mech suits, everyone is space traveling, massive space stations), however unable to witness that due to how bad the performance is on that game and my patience is not forever.

I'm closing this thread for myself mostly. It is still open for questions or discussions or whatever.

Ok, here goes my thoughts: The GameSpeeds are varied for humans' preferences. That's it.

Huh? Wait, follow me please.

I challenged myself to research XML as Afforess suggested. I imagined that I wanted Eternity to be a speed where the research time is long and other aspects of game go as normal. But I felt they were too long too. So I checked the XML finally last night. To be clear, I am not asking for changes here. 45* did a great job balancing the speeds. They are there for a reason, balance.

You saw my dream about playing in long research times? Nope, doesn't work with AI. AI can not use Idle button.

Note for Devs: If you want to ax that button, my creation, do go ahead because it is obvious AI has no clue about Idle. Maybe because it is a waste of hammers. Correct me if I am wrong here. However, if I am correct, then it is actually a crutch for human that Afforess once indulged me but now I come to regret.

See above for the rationale on my dreams being shot down. Possibly in a distant future if I get C++ programming skills under my belt, I may figure out how to make AI use Idle button properly, and thus make that a fair game mechanic. Maybe.

So to my final analysis: the speeds are really for humans to choose with the obvious notice that everything will go up, not just research time. I am going to play with Epic and go one level up only if it feels way too fast. Afforess plays with this option so I think I will be fine. See-see.

Thanks for your patience as I work through this area of the mod. Again, as noted above, not asking for changes, just airing my thoughts.

:cheers:

I'm closing this thread for myself mostly. It is still open for questions or discussions or whatever.

Ok, here goes my thoughts: The GameSpeeds are varied for humans' preferences. That's it.

Huh? Wait, follow me please.

I challenged myself to research XML as Afforess suggested. I imagined that I wanted Eternity to be a speed where the research time is long and other aspects of game go as normal. But I felt they were too long too. So I checked the XML finally last night. To be clear, I am not asking for changes here. 45* did a great job balancing the speeds. They are there for a reason, balance.

You saw my dream about playing in long research times? Nope, doesn't work with AI. AI can not use Idle button.

Note for Devs: If you want to ax that button, my creation, do go ahead because it is obvious AI has no clue about Idle. Maybe because it is a waste of hammers. Correct me if I am wrong here. However, if I am correct, then it is actually a crutch for human that Afforess once indulged me but now I come to regret.

See above for the rationale on my dreams being shot down. Possibly in a distant future if I get C++ programming skills under my belt, I may figure out how to make AI use Idle button properly, and thus make that a fair game mechanic. Maybe.

So to my final analysis: the speeds are really for humans to choose with the obvious notice that everything will go up, not just research time. I am going to play with Epic and go one level up only if it feels way too fast. Afforess plays with this option so I think I will be fine. See-see.

Thanks for your patience as I work through this area of the mod. Again, as noted above, not asking for changes, just airing my thoughts.

:cheers:

I like the idle button myself, because I dislike consistently building warriors over and over again... constantly going though multiple cities until i finally research other idles like research, wealth, culture,and espionage... I prefer using idle most of the time so that I don't have to do this annoying thing unless I really have a purpose & reason to building multiple units.

I like the idle button myself, because I dislike consistently building warriors over and over again... constantly going though multiple cities until i finally research other idles like research, wealth, culture,and espionage... I prefer using idle most of the time so that I don't have to do this annoying thing unless I really have a purpose & reason to building multiple units.

That's why I asked Afforess to create this one. However, is it fair to AI? I wonder. :dunno:

Top Bottom