Modder's Guide to A New Dawn

Where is the information about which promotion(s) protect against terrain damage stored? using the default one in C2C is giving animals double movement. :(

Ignor me, I found it. This is what happens when I have a brillint idea and ask questions before I have my morning coffee.

I am interested in modding... just a few questions.
I set up the SVN and exported the files to hard drive. The problem is with the Makefile.

Do I need to point to python directories or will it build without them?

And I don't have the 2003 Toolkit, and can't find it anywhere so which directory should I point the
TOOLKIT flag to? I used C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC

Thanks.

I am interested in modding... just a few questions.
I set up the SVN and exported the files to hard drive. The problem is with the Makefile.

Do I need to point to python directories or will it build without them?

And I don't have the 2003 Toolkit, and can't find it anywhere so which directory should I point the
TOOLKIT flag to? I used C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC

Thanks.

You need to point correctly to the Python includes and libraries, since they link ino the DLL. My makefile uses:

Code:
CIVINSTALL=C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword
GLOBALBOOST=$(CIVINSTALL)\CvGameCoreDLL\Boost-1.32.0
GLOBALPYTHON=$(CIVINSTALL)\CvGameCoreDLL\Python24

which should work if you have Civ4 installed (which I guess you have!)

TOOLKIT must point the the path which contains bin/cl.exe essentially. Not sure where that would be for an installed VS9, but somewheer inside progranm files where you installed that (search for cl.exe to figure out where).

I have VS2005 and VC2010 installed and I tried for about a week to get it to work with VS2010 and couldn't. The freely downloadable toolkit is actually a cut down VS2008 (which is V9 as you have) so you'll probably be ok, but if not you should be able to download the toolkit and work with parallel installs (what I ended up having to do)

Yes, I had my Makefile very similar. I also had to add
'/LIBPATH:"$(GLOBALBOOST)/libs"' to GLOBAL_INCS
and
'/LIBPATH:"$(GLOBALBOOST)/libs"' to GLOBAL_LIBS

However, I get 7 errors:
1>CvCityAI.cpp(9108) : error C2065: 'iJ' : undeclared identifier
1>CvCityAI.cpp(9110) : error C2065: 'iJ' : undeclared identifier
1>CvCityAI.cpp(9111) : error C2065: 'iJ' : undeclared identifier
1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe"' : return code '0x2'
1>Stop.
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"

I'm sure the code is fine *smile* ... I suspect it is a toolkit issue even though I pointed it to bin/cl.exe. I'll try again if I can find VS2005
as I think it'll be the only way I can get that older toolkit.

Using the files provided by VS2005, I get only 3 errors, similar to the ones above.
There are quite a few locations for these executables (cl.exe, rc,exe, etc) in both /Program Files (x86)/ and in /Program Files/ so I tried using different locations.

*Feels like he's missing a simple step some where*

Yes, I had my Makefile very similar. I also had to add
'/LIBPATH:"$(GLOBALBOOST)/libs"' to GLOBAL_INCS
and
'/LIBPATH:"$(GLOBALBOOST)/libs"' to GLOBAL_LIBS

However, I get 7 errors:
1>CvCityAI.cpp(9110) : error C2065: 'iJ' : undeclared identifier
1>CvCityAI.cpp(9111) : error C2065: 'iJ' : undeclared identifier
1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe"' : return code '0x2'
1>Stop.
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"

I'm sure the code is fine *smile* ... I suspect it is a toolkit issue even though I pointed it to bin/cl.exe. I'll try again if I can find VS2005
as I think it'll be the only way I can get that older toolkit.

The toolkit is actually a version later than VS2005 (VS2005 = V8, toolkit & VS2008 = V9 variants, VS2010 = V10). JUst get the toolkit would be my advice - it's still available as a free download (or it was 3 monthes ago when I started). Alternatively edit the source. The reason for you errors is that the BTS code uses a rather odd idiom that is only legal in some versions of the C++ compiler. Basically it uses

for(int iI = 0; iI < max; iI++)
{
}

and then goes on to use iI later in the same routine. This declaration of iI is only locally scoped to the for loop in some versions of the compiler. Just change it to:

int iI;
for(iI = 0; iI < max; iI++)
{
}

you will find you THEN have to remove the declaraion from subsequernt loops that merrily REdeclare it in the same routine, but once you do this the code will work on all versions of the compiler.

HOWEVER, I STILL recommend you get the toolkit. The reason is that BTS itself was built with that version, and the API between the DLL and the main game engine passes standard template library objects back and forth. If you build the DLL against a different version of the template library template headers this may cause problems or crashes, depending on what was modified (likely a few bug fixes only) between the build the main game engine uses and the one you use

Afforess you have several interesting features that I have just discovered such as more espionage missions and more diplomacy choices that seem to be expansions of the released mods. Have you ever thought about releasing them as standalone's?

From Civics, a quick question:
UnitCombatProductionModifier

Will this accept a negative value? I.e., -50% production for missionary units? Also, is going below -100 a bad idea? Thinking of giving secular the ability to build missionaries w/o monasteries but have them be more expensive to represent lack of government support for them.

Three questions:

1. <iRealCorporationMaintenanceModifier> Can anyone tell me what this does exactly?

2. <iInflation> How exactly does this value alter the inflation costs on the finance screen? Is the value additive or a percentage or something else?

3. The hurry inflation modifier, what does it doe exactly? It seems to somehow alter the inflation rate, but I would to know to what extent and is modifying it on each hurry production?

Hello, I'd like to modify Japanese Cavalry, Rifleman and machine gunners, but i cannot locate the string in the XMLs.
Can some one help?

I'd also like to ask if any one could help me with making Gundam units
i started a thread on it here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=448742

Thanks for the support :goodjob:

Hi, I want that the mines and quarries destroy the forests (like in the vanilla BtS). How can I make that possible?

I am stuck on a simple modding error i believe, i added a civ to the beta build 2.0, works great my issue is with the added sound/music. The woc merge fail with the audio2dscripts.xml and the audiodefines.xml

if i put the info from the modular audio2dscripts.xml into rise of mankind a new dawn/assests/xml/audio/audio2dscripts.xml and the same steps with the audiodefines.xml(by pasting in the info) they work!

What am i missing?

Hi, I want that the mines and quarries destroy the forests (like in the vanilla BtS). How can I make that possible?

They already do- Rise of Mankind initially made it so building mines and quarries on forest/jungle wouldn't result in their removal, but IIRC there was a balancing issue regarding production so in A New Dawn it reverted back to the old way with only a few improvements requiring forest removal upon completion.

Three questions:

1. <iRealCorporationMaintenanceModifier> Can anyone tell me what this does exactly?

2. <iInflation> How exactly does this value alter the inflation costs on the finance screen? Is the value additive or a percentage or something else?

3. The hurry inflation modifier, what does it doe exactly? It seems to somehow alter the inflation rate, but I would to know to what extent and is modifying it on each hurry production?

1. Can't tell you exactly off hand, but in general an aggregate modifier that drops below minus 100 tends to cause issues ( under statement). I have recoded SOME modifiers (like science percentage bonuses) to be multiplicative, so that -50 twice winds up as half times half, so a quarter, or the same as -75 once. However, most are still additive, and do unintended things when they go below -100 net, so avoid it.

2. It determines the rate at which prices increase per turn (in units of 100th of a percent as I recall). In previous versions of AND it caused a recalculation of prices as if the new inflation rate had been in effect since the start of the game ( so a change in inflation caused an immediate, and often large, change in prices). In the current version it just changes the rate, so prices won't immediately change, but the rate at which they do so over is modified.

3. Not sure on the precise details off hand, but it modifies the (separate) inflation rate which is applied to hurry costs (gold to complete buildings or units, or population if you are in slavery)

It's not a critical thing, but I noticed that noone has ever bothered to add the voices for the new technologies. I'd like to do that, but there's a catch: I've never modded Civ, or any other game for that matter. :)

I looked through the repository, but couldn't find a place to get started. I'm assuming technology voice is just using the game defaults that are there. So if anyone could point me in the right direction for ...

- Finding all technologies in the mod
- Location and format of technology voice files
- Place to configure/link a tech and a voice.
- Who to send the results.

Cheers! :)

Not entirely sure why to ask this but...

I have been playing "A New Dawn Unit" recently and Ive been interested in working with unit art and such. I just wanted to ask for some help if possible.

With the ingame unit, the ACV I wanted to replace and change its ingame model for either of these models...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10937

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4794

I dont know where to find the unit art files to rename and replace or the art directory files to change the unit art or however it works and whatever their paths are. Can you possibly help if possible?

Thanks.

/]rchon;11365098 said:
Not entirely sure why to ask this but...
I dont know where to find the unit art files to rename and replace or the art directory files to change the unit art or however it works and whatever their paths are. Can you possibly help if possible?

While looking around for the voice files I found this:

Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

... files and paths are in there and those definitions are linked in here:

Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml

The actual image/3d files should be in the art folder, but it looks pretty unused. I'm assuming they are in the .FPK files. Maybe an actual modder can shed more light on this?

While looking around for the voice files I found this:

Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

... files and paths are in there and those definitions are linked in here:

Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml

The actual image/3d files should be in the art folder, but it looks pretty unused. I'm assuming they are in the .FPK files. Maybe an actual modder can shed more light on this?

Yeah its all a mystery to me still :p

looking through some of the model choices Im definetly wanting to do some swaps. Also probably add a little more flavor like I noticed theres factional models for tanks and some planes. I also wanna get the Hind gunships model in for factional gunships ect.

Also as a mod suggestion I noticed in the new game menu with the options theres a option for preventing Transhuman/Future era from being reached. I think there should be ones for modern, post modern, industrial ect. Like if people wanted to play exclusive WW1 or WW2 games ect.

never tried to mod before, and I just want to adjust the tech diffusion upward. Any tips on how to do that.

Top Bottom