Do we all agree? Arabia's UB is utterly ridiculous.

SureYouCan

Warlord
The Bazaar - Provides 1 extra copy of each improved luxury resource near this City. Each source of oil Oil and each Oasis provides +2 gold Gold. Trade routes other players make to a city with a Bazaar will generate an extra 2 gold Gold for the city owner and the trade route owner gains an additional 1 gold Gold for the trade route.

what...the...hell! This thing is better than most other civs UA and UU combined. :lol:

A lot of things are powerful.

Keshiks, Battering Rams, and Siege Towers, and I think Cho-Ku-Nus are one of the most powerful units in the game (especially Batterin Rams, and Siege Towers, (especially, Battering Rams is you have Ancient Ruins on).

There are some stuff that are "powerful", but it is made up by underpowering other parts. i.e Mongolian UA, and in a way, even the Arabian UA (I honestly don't think the double pressure via routes has much point, I don't think anybody, with strong religious pressure, is making much use of that).

Still have to research the tech, still have to build it, still have to improve the luxury, you can only trade as many copies of a luxury as there are players you have met, not at war with, and don't already have it (on small maps the bonus from Bazaars vanishes quickly).

It's powerful, but nowhere near absurdly powerful.

I don't find it that great. It's good, but not amazing. The duplicate luxury can be nice at times but is generally unneeded; if you're playing tall, it's fairly easy to generate happiness in other ways, and if you're playing wide, you have access to all the luxuries you need. Oil is irrelevant, the +2/+1 is the standard Market bonus, and while the other gold is nice, it's hardly overpowered. It's a solid building for a civ that is very powerful thanks to other benefits.

Is there any advantage the Dutch UA has over the Bazaar, besides being able to use it right away?

You get to use it straight away and you don't have to use hammers to build anything I suppose. Then again, to get all the benefits of the Bazaar from the Dutch UA you have to build markets anyway, and you still don't get the gold from oases - BUT you do get Polders...

I still think the Dutch should get Tulips as a unique luxury from Polders.

Discussing just one isolated unique trait for a civilization is pointless. You have to see the whole picture, and Camel Archers are incredible powerfull.

Yeah, the Arabs are the best (in C5).

So what? Should firaxis nerf it in some patch, or would rather buff lacking civs or policy tries prefered by oddperforming civs?

Is there any advantage the Dutch UA has over the Bazaar, besides being able to use it right away?

No but the first 100 turns are when games are won. The Durch were pretty powerful in GNK but not so much now that you cant lump sum for gold. I'd like to see the Dutch UA be buffed up a bit to compensate.

I don't really agree with those 100 first turns anymore in BNW. You can mess around a lot and still be ok later on.

The unique building improving trade routes is only the same as a regular market. Double the luxuries is fine if you can trade them away, but that requires good relations. They can get you 4 extra happiness some of the time.

The Dutch special ability gets you 6 extra happiness earlier and under more circumstances.

The double oil is important but it's game dependant, sometimes you don't need any, sometimes you don't have any, sometimes you are Autocracy and will just have more surplus.

All in all, I think the Dutch are a bit too weak, Arabia is just fine.

Arabia is now the best SP civilization. It's not just the bazaars, which have been inexplicably buffed. The camel archer is awesome, and their UA has been beefed up considerably. An extra 50% range plus more religious pressure is pretty darn good, or at least much better than their old UA. Why was an already really good civ seriously buffed? I have no idea.

1 extra copy isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. I often don't even bother trading resources past medieval or so anymore.

1 extra copy isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. I often don't even bother trading resources past medieval or so anymore.

Yeah who cares about +8gpt per luxury traded. I also purposefully run less trade routes than the max allowed most of the game, and I don't build any banks/stock markets. Why bother with free gold past Medieval?

This raises the question: On your standard game of BNW, which 'Resource Civ' gets the most bang for their buck?

ARABIA: UB Bazaar provides 1 extra copy of each improved Luxury Resource near this city

-Effective upon unlocking Currency, so fairly early on, and with a lot of cities provides high potential ceiling for a lot of gold

INDONESIA: First 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (Nutmeg, Cloves, and Pepper)

-Effective upon settling at least 1 city, so not immediate, but provides a base of +2 :c5gold: gold and +4 :c5happy: happiness

NETHERLANDS: Retains 50% of the Happiness from a Luxury Resource if your last copy of it is traded away

-Effective immediately

PORTUGAL: UI Feitoria is built in City-States and allows you to take a copy of their Luxury Resources - You get 2 if you are allied with the City-State

-Effective upon Navigation, so takes a while, but arguably the highest ceiling for gold and happiness if you are really pushing the city-states

Top Bottom