I swear, Enrico! Those were barbs that mangled your merchant, not me!

Autoclave

Warlord
Friday night Civ 5 session. Running Siam for the first time. Just a few turns at the beginning i meet Dandolo, dude seems to be an honest man, offers his friendship. I accept.

Barbarians invade all over the place, a little to the north, between Sukhotai and Venice lies Kuala Lumpur, a cultural City-state. Since my 1st anti-barbarian special forces unit happens to be in vicinity, i aid the Kuala Lumpur, clear the encapment and make good friends with the city-state. I few turns i manage to allocate 250 gold from my lowly budged to make allies with them. I am drowning in tons of culture, breezing through Tradition policies at the speed of light.

Enrico suddenly moans about how I got too close to Kuala-Lumpur. I tell him to go away. A few turns later i manage to eliberate a worker of Kuala-Lumpur, getting extra 45 reputation.

Guess what the sneaky bastard decides to do, he sends in a merchant of Venice to Kuala Lumpur planning to rid me of a city i had 115 reputation on. What a bastard, you are Enrico!! Planning to puppet MY city state, while you liar are pretending to be my friend!!!

On the next day, the entire Venice was mourning :cry: the death under mysterious circumstances of one fo their richest merchants. My heroic scout intercepted the city-state thief just one tile away from the Kuala Lumpur. :goodjob:

Naturally our diplomatic relationship went to hell since then, but hey, the batard was trying to backstab me under the guise of being my friend. Oh and guess what, he is now making this whole incident look like I was the aggressor here, not him. Now everybody thinks that Siam backstabs their friends. :lol:

-----
I hope you enjoyed the story. Personally I was laughing my butt off when I turned Enrico's plan against himself. Loosing a great merchant of venice he got from optics is a quite a big blow. I think i should keep an eye for his future merchants, wondering out alone. You know, the jungles are a dangerous place.

Personally I consider Enrico Dandolo one of the most evil men in the history. To instigate the crusaders against a city of their own religion, Christianity, it takes a real bastard to do that. The sacking of Constatinopole left the city into a horrible state unable to defend itself, this ultimately led to the fall of the great city to Ottomans in 1457.

Great story, indeed! Losing a Merchant of Venice is a headache, that's for sure!

That's some escalation from killing prophets coming in to wipe out your religion.

Nice tactics, but did your relationship with Venice ever recover? Did it have consequences later on?

I have no idea how many times "barbarians" have captured Celtic Great Prophets in my lands either. :king:

Even though my current game I am playing Venice, in every other games I play with him in it, I make a horse and trireme to patrol his borders. Any merchants that step out of his borders gets the sharp end of my spear :D

That's some escalation from killing prophets coming in to wipe out your religion.

Nice tactics, but did your relationship with Venice ever recover? Did it have consequences later on?

I got immediatelly DOWed by Shaka and Suleiman. Attacking someone you made delcaration of friendship is huge casus belli even for a peaceful game like BNW. Luckily both civs were way too far away to threaten me.

I am beginning to think that Shaka and Suleiman are on Dandolo's payroll.

Personally I consider Enrico Dandolo one of the most evil men in the history. To instigate the crusaders against a city of their own religion, Christianity, it takes a real bastard to do that. The sacking of Constatinopole left the city into a horrible state unable to defend itself, this ultimately led to the fall of the great city to Ottomans in 1457.

Yes, the Fourth Crusade was a tremendous tragedy, but Enrico's physical role in the event was quite amazing considering his age and blindness.
Additionally, the year of the final fall was 1453.

Top Bottom