Vokarya's Workshop: Buildings

Is it possible to display the latitude of a particular tile?

That would be it, then. :)

You can also turn it on and off in BUG options.

Actually there settings for lattitude that should be easy to add. For example Apiary would restricted to +/- 80* lattitude. This should preclude most of the terrain I mentioned.

Adding grassland plots would be overly restrictive as bees just don't live on grassland.

JosEPh

Plus there's a mapscript that is pretty much 100% Tundra and Ice. Would be fully impossible to build an Apiary on that map then :lol:

Actually there settings for lattitude that should be easy to add. For example Apiary would restricted to +/- 80* lattitude. This should preclude most of the terrain I mentioned.

Adding grassland plots would be overly restrictive as bees just don't live on grassland.

JosEPh

Okay, I didn't meen "grassland ONLY'.
I don't think latitude restriction is the best solution. Reason:
-much of the Antarctica is outside the 80˙ circle, but is full ice
-the same latitude can be tundra at one place, and continental at the other (see Greenland vs. Skandinavia)
-I doubt bees live in the Sahara or on Mount Everest

So I think the solution for appiary is to make it require any landplot that is not ice or dessert, or forrest/jungle, or food plains.

Okay, I didn't meen "grassland ONLY'.
I don't think latitude restriction is the best solution. Reason:
-much of the Antarctica is outside the 80˙ circle, but is full ice
-the same latitude can be tundra at one place, and continental at the other (see Greenland vs. Skandinavia)
-I doubt bees live in the Sahara or on Mount Everest

So I think the solution for appiary is to make it require any landplot that is not ice or dessert, or forrest/jungle, or food plains.

Actually latitude setting can work very well. I threw 80* out as an example setting. And as for the Sahara or Mt Everest, pretty poor examples. If a flowering plant can bloom on or in either bees can be found there. Same for forests, jungles, and flood plains. Besides it's much more work to make a terrain specific building than adding just a latitude.

So I have to disagree with your assessment, sorry.

JosEPh

Actually latitude setting can work very well. I threw 80* out as an example setting. And as for the Sahara or Mt Everest, pretty poor examples. If a flowering plant can bloom on or in either bees can be found there. Same for forests, jungles, and flood plains. Besides it's much more work to make a terrain specific building than adding just a latitude.

So I have to disagree with your assessment, sorry.

JosEPh

I see your point and know that 80˙ was just a random number. My point was raher this: Climate is not equal to latitude. Let me show you 2 screenshots from my current game:

Civ4ScreenShot0053.JPG
My city: Selusa is a mining colony. I settled it for the gems in the NW (forgot to show icons). I has no vegetation in 2 tiles. Bees won't live here.
Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG
Budapest: AI city. Same latitude as Selusa above, just on the southern hemisphere.
It is surrounded with graslands. Bees will live here.

Further: Not every mapscript generates earth like maps. E.g. some mapscrips have the choise of artcic in the centre. I know it is extreme example, but quite possible to produce very absurd results :)

To summarize it all:
Adding a latitude prerequesit can couse absurdities, while adding tile requirements looks ugly (no, not even me wants to see 11 OR requirements :D ).
So I think it's best to leave it as it is.

Again I have to disagree.

I for one don't use Earth type maps any more. Played them a lot years ago but got tired of "Historical simulations". And Maps that has Arctic in the center are very rare and not widely used. No need to cater to the extremes. But Earth type maps are used by many players and latitude would work better than terrain manipulation. I think you fail to see the extensive amount of work that using terrain to restrict Apiary would cause. While, on the other hand, latitude would be a 1 or 2 line change. Simple vs complicated, and complicated Always produces bugs And more work for little improvement.

JosEPh

I think you fail to see the extensive amount of work that using terrain to restrict Apiary would cause.

No. Compare:
To summarize it all:
Adding a latitude prerequesit can couse absurdities, while adding tile requirements looks ugly (no, not even me wants to see 11 OR requirements ).
I don't want a complicated sollution, but...
Neither a "latitude" one. I think there is no good sollution at all, so I would leave it as the way it is.

I'd just leave the apiary as it is. It is a minor building, helpful in the beginning but easily overshadowed from the medieval era onwards. I don't see the need to use anyone's time to do anything to it. In this case, simplicity and gameplay > realism.

@Sogroon,

You "may" have to adapt then.

JosEPh

@Sogroon,

You "may" have to adapt then.

JosEPh

I know and ready to adapt :borg:
I have expressed my thoughts and ideas and that's all :)

A new topic to discuss? :)

Any thoughts on using Colonization's "Town Hall" icon for some of the buildings in the Village Hall chain? I like the Longhouse as the Village Hall button, but I'm not completely sure whether to use this for only the Town Hall or all the upper buildings in the chain.

It looks rather too modern for use as a mediaeval building, but I'm sure it would be fine for an Industrial one.

Any thoughts on using Colonization's "Town Hall" icon for some of the buildings in the Village Hall chain? I like the Longhouse as the Village Hall button, but I'm not completely sure whether to use this for only the Town Hall or all the upper buildings in the chain.

I have to admit that having 2 buildings with the same icon (Longhouse and Village Hall) is a lot confusing (it's happening on my Iroquois game a lot)

Yes, it would be nice to have different icons for every building.
A few ideas:

Village hall

Town hall

City hall

Metropolitan Administration

Capital Administration

There's also the Reichstag, the Riksdag, the Althing and so on. I'm all for European or Asian examples, where possible. :)

I am afraid that Potter's hut became a new "Steelmill". Abundant pottery resource results since the hut doesn't obsolete so early. I have one in every 3 or 4 cities, which feels too many.

Top Bottom