Hall of Fame Rules/FAQ

Vegasgustan said:
Mac players are welcome, right?
Yes, Mac players are welcome, so long as you're using the 1.29f patch. Good luck Vegasgustan!

I assume this would be outlawed, but it's not covered in the list, and since it can help both expansion & conquering speed a lot, probably should be explicitly banned. If you retire rather than quit at the end of a play session, you can see all the details of the map. Best place to send boats exploring, exactly which way the weak civs are, etc, etc.

sanabas said:
I assume this would be outlawed, but it's not covered in the list, and since it can help both expansion & conquering speed a lot, probably should be explicitly banned. If you retire rather than quit at the end of a play session, you can see all the details of the map. Best place to send boats exploring, exactly which way the weak civs are, etc, etc.
This particular cheat isn't explicitly listed, no, but it is illegal. It completely defies the purpose of randomly generated maps and violates the spoiler rules, so it's ban is implied.

There's more than one way to get around the map FOW, but I'm not going to specifically ban all of them because some aren't common knowledge. I don't intend to share my education in illegal tactics. ;)

Bartleby said:
Surely retitring is covered under the reloading rule?
Yes, it is (and quite explicitly). Bartleby has now passed the Emergency Ruling Coherence Test. This was only a test. :scan: :satan: :dubious: :wow:

superslug said:
Yes, it is (and quite explicitly). Bartleby has now passed the Emergency Ruling Coherence Test. This was only a test. :scan: :satan: :dubious: :wow:

Reloading - Reloading a save to try and change game events is not allowed. You may reload if the game crashes, you have started a new playsession, or to avoid Domination victory.

[irrelevant pedant]If I end a playsession by saving & retiring rather than saving & quitting, there's no in game events after the save to try and change. And then I reload to start a new playsession, as per what's stated. Nothing explicitly against it I can see. Just common sense that says it's illegal.[/pedant]

The other ways I can think of off the top of my head to get around FOW involve actually doing things in-game.

sanabas said:
If I end a playsession by saving & retiring rather than saving & quitting, there's no in game events after the save to try and change.
Retiring triggers "Conquest Loss". It's not an in-game event, but more of a game-end event. ;)

Let's say computer crashes during IT and reload to autosave is necessary. Is it okay to reload again if something goes differently. For example, the first time workers are ordered correctly. On the reload, I misclick and the workers go to the wrong tile. Normally, I deal with it, but if I did it right the first time, is it okay to reload again and play it as it originally happened?

No. The crash exception to the reload rule makes the reload the "first time" not in actuality, but in spirit. Mistakes are either to be avoided or lived with.

Stupid question the 3rd or 4th: I just logged into the submission pages for the first time, and noticed the intermediate save slots are at set years. Didn't realise that, so my intermediate saves are at whenever I stopped play for that session. 1030AD, 1380AD, which is the turn before I could have had a diplomatic victory, and 1610AD. Next session should finish the game, a 20k victory by turn 379, whatever that equates to in years. Should I just put those saves in the intermediate slots anyway? Next game I'l save at the specified times.

Yes. The intermediate slots will decidedly vary depending on finish time, but the important thing is that the first and last slots are the 4000bc and the turn after the win.

Are you still accepting games for Vanilla? It's gonna be at least 6 months before I pay off some debts and can actually buy conquests, and I don't want to be left out.

Also: Any plans to include a "by version" listing of the tables?

QwertySoft said:
It's gonna be at least 6 months before I pay off some debts and can actually buy conquests, and I don't want to be left out.
If you don't want to be "left out", start saving for Civ 4 Now!......'cos there'll be a Civ 4 HOF!! ;)

QwertySoft said:
Also: Any plans to include a "by version" listing of the tables?
No, I don't think that's ever been requested.

If 2 or more players tie on date AND score, is the Ranking tied? (i.e. Chieftain, Tiny, Conquest?) :)

I would go by submission date to make it easier on database
thats probably what they do by default
:)

EMan said:
If 2 or more players tie on date AND score, is the Ranking tied? (i.e. Chieftain, Tiny, Conquest?) :)
No, there are no ties. The first one is obviously score, which can be witnessed several times on the Tiny/Conquest page.

If fastest finish date and score are tied, the second tiebreaker is LulThyme's correct guess of submission date. This can also be witnessed on the Tiny/Conquest table.

Now, if for some reason, submission date were to be tied, then the tiebreaker would be each player's total HoF Firaxis points accumulated. This is an extremely unlikely scenario however, given that the server automatically records the hour and minute of the submission. Having done a statistical analysis of the current distribution and rate of submissions, this occurence is not likely to happen until August 15th, 3147 when the majority of humanity will likely have either moved on to Civilization 389 or be enslaved in the putkaputka mines of the Centauri-Zorbian Uberconglomerate.

If for some reason the total accumulated Firaxis points are tied under those conditions, it would come down to a coin flip.

If the coin flip ties, I will quit.

Top Bottom