Civ's telling you secrets: did ever one come true?

In my current game Maria Theresa gave me a tip that Harun was plotting against me. I contacted him (then Friendly) suggesting a DoF (refused) and, tellingly, a Defensive Pact (also refused no matter what, which is usually a giveaway of a plan to attack when the civ's friendly). He was friends with my eternal enemies the Ottomans, which explained his now not-so-secret plan.

Next turn I checked Harun's relationships. He was no fan of Egypt (something he shared with me - and they'd just denounced me themselves). So I denounced them myself; my regular friends were already anti-Egypt and my relations were solid, so I did so precisely to improve relations with Harun, who I didn't particularly want a war with (to be on the safe side I also signed defensive pacts with the game's two strongest civs - China and Austria).

It worked - he offered me a DoF a few turns later. All thanks to Austrian intrigue.

When your spies tell you someone is plotting vs AI, go to that AI - discuss - share intrigue and get nice diplomatic bonus ; )

"Plotting against X" almost never turns into anything
"Marching an army to city X" almost always does

At least in my experience.

Can't remember if Harun was plotting or "planning an attack", but as I noted his refusals to enter defensive pacts etc. were consistent with him planning to do exactly that.

Montezuma told me Napoleon was attacking...on the same turn Napoleon launched his attack. To be fair, he was my neighbour and the army was already on the borders. It seems the Intrigue pops up as soon as an AI makes the decision. Monty did say he was plotting some turns before though.

Yes.

I didn't heed the warning, and then 40 turns later after I had long forgot about it like 10 destroyers and 10 battleships come and take my costal cities.

I haven't played Civ V in multiplayer yet so... essentially in multiplayer the spies don't warn players for incoming armies?

Can I pass on secrets? I haven't tried hard to, but I did look for that option in diplomacy and espionage. There should should be a little share button beside the secret in the espionage overview, assuming you have embassies set up.

Can I pass on secrets? I haven't tried hard to, but I did look for that option in diplomacy and espionage. There should should be a little share button beside the secret in the espionage overview, assuming you have embassies set up.

Go talk to the civ being plotted against, and in the 'Discuss' section, at the very bottom, there will be a 'share espionage secrets' button, or something like that.

Go talk to the civ being plotted against, and in the 'Discuss' section, at the very bottom, there will be a 'share espionage secrets' button, or something like that.

Your spies must have found some espionage before the share secrets button appears, however. You can't just fabricate secrets;)

I'd still like to be able to tell Civ A that Civ X just visited and tried to talk me into going to war with them (Civ X) vs Civ A.

And I'd like for me and the AI to be able to make stuff up and pass it along.

Finally an intrigue came out! I was warned by Hiawatha that Isabella was going for my city Huamanga. and this came true a few turns later. That's great!

I like the ability to pass secrets you`ve learned to other Civs. I once told Haile selassie that Washington was plotting again him just to try it out.

It makes sense though that some messages don`t happen since there`s so much going on that one plan a Civ has might have can be cancelled in favour of another plan. X might plan to go to war with Y, but at the last moment Z declares war on X, forcing X to cancel or maybe Y makes a last minute deal that X can`t pass up.

I like the ability to pass secrets you`ve learned to other Civs. I once told Haile selassie that Washington was plotting again him just to try it out.

It makes sense though that some messages don`t happen since there`s so much going on that one plan a Civ has might have can be cancelled in favour of another plan. X might plan to go to war with Y, but at the last moment Z declares war on X, forcing X to cancel or maybe Y makes a last minute deal that X can`t pass up.

Or the fact that the AI will change it's strategy almost every turn sometimes. Start on wonder A, start on a Jet Fighter, begin wonder B, then go back to wonder A, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if the AI did that in diplomacy, too.

Or the fact that the AI will change it's strategy almost every turn sometimes. Start on wonder A, start on a Jet Fighter, begin wonder B, then go back to wonder A, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if the AI did that in diplomacy, too.

They also don't consider how likely a plan is to ever get done. They plot against someone who they can never catch up to, but still they plot.

I'd still like to be able to tell Civ A that Civ X just visited and tried to talk me into going to war with them (Civ X) vs Civ A.

Yes, I'd like this ability. It would add an interesting element of risk.

And I'd like for me and the AI to be able to make stuff up and pass it along.

No, that would just make it too easy to set AIs up against each other, and be another area where a human could reliably outperform an AI.

Well, I`ve agreed with a couple of Civs to go to war with another Civ in 10 turns. They went to war in 10 turns right on time. So they can keep to a schedule.

AIs do change their diplo targets every other turn, depending on changed circumstances.

Here's a really nice guide:

Spoiler :

Russia targets me

Spoiler :

Russia wants my capital for sweet domination

Spoiler :

Change of plans - Korean Valletta is so much more simpler to take!

Spoiler :

Again changing? Huh

Yeah then she DOWed

Spoiler :

I think that "plotting against you" doesn't always have to mean that they will attack you. I think the AI will be considered plotting against you also if they plan to buy out one of your City States or if they have a Spy placed in one of your cities. I may be wrong on this, but there does seem to be a correlation between these events and warnings from what I've experienced. But obviously, sometimes the AI just changes plans for whatever reasons.

Top Bottom