The Expansion - Fairy Tale Heroes

It might be interesting to make the Great Selara River navigable, i.e. coast or fresh water lake, so boats could traverse it. Just a thought.

It actually is. Up to a point. I made a small slice of land where you can cross (a chokepoint, although I don't like that word), and ships can't get through there though. I'll make a screenshot of the map in-game and post here.

The Scenarios

These are the scenarios I've already finished for the Expansion. They will supply an odd, interesting and unusual game of Fairy Tale. I'm especially proud of the last one! I need to try it out myself properly when I get more heroes pasted for the three Andezean civs! i have six heroes each right now, but they need way more to make it interesting.

Time for Peace

Begins in the year 3050 as Marana has created Hellrise to conquer and lay waste to Andezea. All nations start out at peace and the book is still unwritten. Will there be war or will there be prosperous peace to reign over the realms inhabiting the new continent?

Time for War

The nations go to war in the year 3060 and Hellrise and Whitewatch are placed at permanent war with each other. Grayfort remains neutral, but has a persuasion towards Whitewatch. Conquer or defend the Free Paradise Continent!

Colonization

In the year 3070, after the Great Wars in the West, colonists from the Old World arrive on the shores of Andezea, and the Empire founds a successful colony on the islands in the south west of the Continent. Can a regular "old" Fairy Tale nation stand against those three super-nations that inhabit the continent and still make a thriving colony?

It actually is. Up to a point. I made a small slice of land where you can cross (a chokepoint, although I don't like that word), and ships can't get through there though. I'll make a screenshot of the map in-game and post here.

Darn, I hadn't thought about foot troops not being able to cross. Yes, the "chokepoint" is a must then. UNLESS: could you do a sort of zig-zag effect that would allow both ships to traverse and troops to traverse it? It probably wouldn't look very nice, but it might function correctly (unless you wanted ships to only go a certain way up the river, of course).

My idea is that someone will found a city on that very tile that separates land from sea and thereby control the whole river (getting their ships through that city) as well as the only land entrance into the western parts of the continent.

There's a tile like that to the very east too, in the area which separates the large southern Darkfield Peninsula from the rest of the continent. Founding a city on that one, will have your ships going fast between the two halves of the continent and not having to go around that peninsula at all.

Oh. and the zig-zag effect isn't possible in Civ4, unfortunately. It will still have land-units crossing, but keep ships from going through.

My idea is that someone will found a city on that very tile that separates land from sea and thereby control the whole river (getting their ships through that city) as well as the only land entrance into the western parts of the continent.

There's a tile like that to the very east too, in the area which separates the large southern Darkfield Peninsula from the rest of the continent. Founding a city on that one, will have your ships going fast between the two halves of the continent and not having to go around that peninsula at all.

Oh. and the zig-zag effect isn't possible in Civ4, unfortunately. It will still have land-units crossing, but keep ships from going through.

Cool. Seems you've thought this through much further than I have!:dunno:

LOL. Usually I think things through properly, but only playtesting can really show what works and what doesn't. Luckily I have many good playtesters around :)

The problem is AI isn't capable of considering to build city at chokepoints. It is possible, however, to "guide" the AI to that position, but this is guess work, and it's not 100% guaranteed. The way it works is to shape the terrains and resources around the chokepoints. Depending on what's around, it can increase the chance of AI build a city there. This will be a very tedious work as it will require a lot of testing for each change done.

Of course, you can always just have someone's capital start there as a dirty solution :)

I don't really consider it game-breaking if the AI doesn't use these strategic points. I will place resources and stuff to make the position ideal for settlement, but I really think it is mainly for the player to take advantage of. If the AI chooses to do so, it's a plus, and I think he will in some games.

I really don't like "chokepoints". I think they guide the game in a linear and intended direction and I like the more free style of play and nation building that you get on random maps for an expample. I once had a mapscript packaged with Fairy Tale that created a map with lots of these "chokepoints", but I never liked the idea of valleys and islands separated by small passes or Isthmuses (is that really the proper word in the Queen's English??), so I cut it out.

The Heroes

Heroes are steadily being added to the three nations' arsenals. These are the ones I have in there right now. Some graphics are based on already existing units in Fairy Tale; some of the very best and most impressive units will be used in the Expansion. Some heroes will have ranged attack powers, while others move faster, some have bonuses when fighting in certain terrain and one of them is Aquatic. They will all be different and have different powers and abilities. All of them will also be uniquely named.

I will also add a bunch of new leaders to the regular civs with the Expansion. Leaders are a good way of getting variation in the game. VeBear has already designed a new Dwarven leader which I'll include. If there are wishes for new leaders, or suggestions, go right ahead and write them down here.

Yes. I made them like that. It's a way to distinguish them from the other Fairy Tale Kingdoms' flags too. And I think it looks kind of cool.

Yes, it actually is quite cool... wonder why no-one have made a soviet flag who looks like that for Russia (hint, hint ;))

Unfortunately limiting the nations to only building hero units during the early phases of the game doesn't quite end up in an exciting game of expansion and land-grabbing, as I feared, but I think expansion goeas too slow. I will either have to add some early city guard type of units for all nations, or make the heroes substantially cheaper. I think the first solution is the most logical, since there is also a lot of barbarian fighting and I'd really want the player to stack his heroes and not leave them in the cities.

In later games all nations get late-game regular military units in combination with the heroes as well, so there's no problem there. The game will still be centered around the heroes although I now add guard units as well, due to the fact that there are so many of the heroes.

What about some guard-type units only good at defending cities (example: Guardian Archer: 2 :strength: +200% City Defense). Some of the heroes could then again be counter-guard Heroes

That's a pretty good idea. I have set up some heroes to have higher percentage when storming cities already, so I think that will do. But the Guard units will also have heightened percentages when defending cities and the proper AI package too!

Will hero be their own unit type? Like, you have Melee type units, Mounted type units, etc, so they'll be Hero type units? If that's the case, maybe make some non-Hero units with something like 20% vs Hero unit (or when attacking Hero unit). That'll be interesting. That way you can also give custom hero promotions that are available only to hero units.

Top Bottom