Shogun Tokugawa and the Japanese (56K beware - image heavy)

Greek Plunder

Civvidy-doo.
Below you will find my recordings of my game as Tokugawa as the Japanese. I am playing an island map, on Noble (which, compared to Civ3, isn't as hard as Monarch). I hope you enjoy it. I will be updating it as I go along.

The Beginning: The Japanese people's recorded history begins by our choosing to settle along the coastal area of the sea we have lived beside for generations. It is a fertile spot, with a fresh water river flowing beside it. We send out a group of young, eager warriors to scout out the near-by in-lands, to look for further spots for settlement, and to meet with the foreign tribes within our area. We choose the name Kyoto for our new capital.

A Tribal Gift: Apparently the group of Japanese warriors made an impression on at least one local tribe, for after meeting with them, a messenger sent word that they were gifted with much precious gold. This will do well to help our settlement grow.

News from Abroad: We have heard back again from our, by now, middle-aged warriors. To the east lies a tropical jungle, ending in the sea, and to the north, more forest. The discussion with the other leaders was an easy one. If we are to expand, and expand we will, we will want to do it southwards, toward the plains. Also, our warriors mentioned the existence of two settled tribes, one to the north and one to the east. The Chinese, led by Qin Shi Huang, similiar to us in language and writing, and a strange culture off the coast of the jungle peninsula, the English, led by a woman named Victoria. These people are led by a woman?

Kyoto Expands: Our settlement of Kyoto has grown in size over the years, reaching a land-mark 6000 people. We are plentiful, and the civilization is happy. Another group of young men have decided to strike out, and explore. It seems it's in our blood. All is well.

A World to Discover:As we explore, more and more of the world has opened up to us. More of our young warriors wish to strike out and make a name for themselves. We do not hold them back. It has been determined that to the north, the Chinese and ourselves are seperated by a small straight, while to the west, we are connected by land, as some of their emissaries have visited our borders. As well, our people have established trade routes with both the Chinese, and the strange English

Hinduism Founded:Our warriors have explored the borders of China, determining that, in fact, we are connected by land in a round about fashion. We don't know whether the Chinese will be upset that the sea is named after us, and all they have is a single straight, but we don't really care, either.
We have also heard news that a religion called Hinduism has been founded in a far off land..

2840BC: Our citizens have founded the religion Buddhism and it is spreading rapidly amongst our populace. The elders and myself have all decided to convert to this new religion, as it will only serve to strengthen our hold on power.

2480BC: We have founded a new settlement, named Osaka, to the west of Kyoto. We hope to turn it into a thriving, ocean-going town. We have sent our best ship-builders there, and they are already hard at working building a war galley for exploration.

Slaves in China: We have been informed by defectors that Qin Shi Huang has adopted the use of slavery. We do not approve, as we feel no person should be a slave to another, unless they are willing, and are not born into it. On a happier note, we have begun our first great architectural project in Kyoto - a towering obelisk.

Most Cultured Civilizations: We have been told by Gibbon, a foreign traveller that we are considered one of the most cultured civilizations in the world!

2090BC: We have completed the obelisk in Kyoto! It towers over all of the other buildings...

Fight 1640BC Style: Our warriors have had their first hostile encounter! They were attacked by a group of club-wielding barbarians, but defeated them soundly.

The Navy Expands: Our ship builders in Osaka have completed work on their galley, and it has been sent across the sea to an area where land was spotted. We have decided to work on city infrastructure, and to improve the lives of our towns folk before expanding further. For now.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3,544
1520BC: What appears to be a massive, unsettled land-mass off the coast of Osaka has been discovered! I've brought the matter forth to the other leaders, to determine whether to move on this land before someone else does. Many of them believe there is no need to expand so aggresivelly, that it would corrupt our cities, and that we are fine with a small amount of land. I, on the other hand, believe we should expand onto this land-mass as soon as possible, before Qin Shi Huang discovers it, or, just as worse, someone else does.

1400BC:Buddhism has spread to the hill-top Chinese town of Shanghai! This can only serve to strengthen our relations.

Conversion of the Chinese:Qin Shi Huang himself has converted to Buddhism. Our two great civilizations are now connected by bonds of religion. I hope these bonds last throughout the course of history.

Judaism Founded: Judaism, another religion, has reportedly been founded in a far off land. Will this new religion clash with our own?

1220BC: Another Galley has been built in Osaka, and has set off to sea. In this world of many unclaimed, and uncharted islands and water-ways, I believe a large naval presence is important for Japan to be taken serious on the world scene. Whether the council agrees or not, this is the path Japan will take.

975BC: Far, far to the west we have come across the civilization known as France, led by Louis the 14th. They are far from our borders, and at the this moment, aren't of any concern to us, but without my choice in naval expansion, we wouldn't have even known of their existence. Kyoto has completed its walls, protecting the thousands of citizens who live there, and is now preparing to send out a group of settlers. Although this particular group won't be sent to the newly discovered island, the next one very well may. This particular group of settlers will be sent near Shanghai, to claim the dye and corn resources near-by. Although we don't know of a way to use the dye yet, we will eventually determine its uses.

Nice pics and I love the story and the use of the signs, never thought of them that way. I will use them more often now ;)
Keep it up! :D

nice i love the screenshots

One Upped: Before we had a chance to send our settlers on their way, the Chinese founded the city of Nanjing on our desired spot. So much for discovering the secrets of the dyes.
But, with this development, my plan to settle on the newly discovered isle has come to the fore. It looks like we will be going ahead with this idea.

750BC: We have adopted Organized Religion in our country. This will enable us to spread Buddhism quicker and easier, as well as help us build buildings in our cities faster.

The Wonders of Sea Borne Trade: Buddhism has spread all the way over to the French port city of Lyons, thanks to our trade routes. With this, Louis XIV has converted to our religion. Good news, indeed!

Open Borders? No Thank You: The Chinese have requested an open borders agreement. While we are flattered by the offer, we do not feel the time is right for that, just yet. Not with the way they are expanding.

375BC: We have finally settled the island off our coast, claiming it under the name of 'Tokyo Island.' Tokyo itself has been established in the far eastern corner of it, and we are sure to eventually expand further north from there. We must establish infrstructure, and bring in much needed commerce before we can do that, though. We are currently in the red, losing -4 gold per turn.

350BC: We are the third largest civilization in the world after the establishment of Tokyo! Only our friends the Chinese and French rate ahead of us in total land-mass.

300BC: With thr discovery of Iron, we have entered the [n]Classical Age[/n]. Things look good for the great Japanese people. We are expanding, we are becoming more powerful militarily, and we are the centre of one of the world's largest religions; Buddhism. The only negative up to this point would be our economy, as we are losing money at a great pace. Hopefully, that will turn around soon.

275BC: Confucianism has been founded in a far off land this year, and just the following one, we hear news that Victoria of the English has converted to it! A heathen religion just off of our coast, within trading distance!

25AD: In 25AD the world looks as follows. I have expanded to the island, and will hopefully expand even more, although at the moment it is impossible, as the maintenance costs are too much. To the west there are the French, although I am unable to tell how much land they have. To the east, much the same story with the English. The Chinese have expanded rapidly, and are now leading the game in score. There are two more civilizations as well, someplace, most likely near England, as they adopted the new religion Confucianism shortly after it was discovered by this unknown civ.

50AD: A glorious day for the Japanese has arrived. All over the world, word has travelled that we have completed the Great Lighthouse in Osaka. This grants us another two trade routes for coastal cities. We are now not only trading domestically, but have begun trading internationally, with France. These extra trade routes can not be underestimated, for if you want to expand, you will be needing this extra bit of commerce.

Open Borders? Again, No Thank You: The English invited us to an open borders agreement, but we declined this one, as well. I don't like the idea of having a heathen religion just off of my coast, and even less having their missionaries entering my land. At the same time, we have created an alphabet for ourselves (or, for the sake of realism, a syllabary chart ;) ), and are now able to trade technological advances openly.

275BC: Japan now holds over half a million citizens within its borders. Our country is growing quickly. Within Kyoto alone, 469`000 of these people live.

325AD: We have concluded a trade deal with the French. The Japanese people will send him corn, in exchange for fish, from the French waters. At this same time, Christinity has been discovered by the Chinese!

425AD: In very unfortunate news this year, Qin Shi Huang has converted to Christianity. Although his cities and peoples remain faithful to Buddhism, it is only a matter of time before they convert, as well. I have heard rumours about the violence of Christianity...

A Town named Edo: We've finally settled another village on Tokyo Island, named Edo. There are beautiful deposits of gems at the farthest part north of the island, and eventually, that will be where our last settlers will go. Near Tokyo, there are iron deposits, the only ones we have been able to locate anywheres in our explorations of the mainland. The only other deposit of iron we have been able to find is in French territory. To the west of Edo, there is stone, perfect for a Quarry.

English Deals: We have finally come to an agreement with the English. Their offer of clams for cows was satisfactory, and so the deal was made. We also discovered crabs off the coast of Tokyo.

725AD: the world in 725 AD is a peaceful place. No wars have broken out, no one has demanded anything... everything is growing. Civilizations are still expanding, and exploring new island-continents. The French have recently just settled a town on the island to my south-east. It is Christian. The Chinese are powerful, and expansive. They have adopted Christianity, and although their cities all practise Buddhism, it's only a matter of time before they flip. These religious strains have already made a hit on our relations. Although, if worse were to come to worse, I would have the upper hand. With my recent expansion to Tokyo Island, I now have the powerful resource Iron under my control, while they do not. I also have access to stone, something that will assuredly help me in building wonders quickly during the Medieval Age. I also just recently finished researching the calendar, and can now take advantage of the multitude of resources that require this technology to use. The game, score wise, remains very close.

A Big World: I have been informed that the Japanese realm is the fourth largest in the world. Although not small, it can not compare to the larger civilizations out there. The Chinese are the largest in territory.

1080AD: Our attempt to spread Buddhism to the tiny island city of Marseilles, failed. The missionary was consumed in the process. But, on a happier note, a great merchant Harkuf was born in Osaka! I plan on sending him through the lands of the English, to see if he can't discover a new civilization to bring trade to.

1100AD: In this year the Japanese civilization has entered the Medeival Age. Kyoto, by itself, is one of the populated cities in the entire world.

Defenestrator said:
How did you do the labels?

Go into globe view, and there are little icons along the top of the mini-map. They're called 'signs' and 'lines' in the game. Thanks for commenting on the story, BTW. :/

Greek Plunder said:
Go into globe view, and there are little icons along the top of the mini-map. They're called 'signs' and 'lines' in the game. Thanks for commenting on the story, BTW. :/

Thanks!

And I'll comment when you put the next update up, this makes me want to play it now!

Defenestrator said:
Thanks!

And I'll comment when you put the next update up, this makes me want to play it now!

You should always want to play it. :lol: It's hard for me to take breaks.

Greek Plunder said:
You should always want to play it. :lol: It's hard for me to take breaks.

Aye, it is. Especially once you get the hang of it. I've been played a Hindu-spreading French Empire under Louis XIV who's got a bone to pick with Mali but can't do anything because he set up 'Always Peace'.

Awesome Story so far, can't wait to read the next part :)
Living in England, we have to wait til Nov 4th before we can buy the game, so stories like these are the fuel to keep me going until then.. more more more pls :)

Lord_Iggy said:
Aren't Tokyo and Edo the same place?
Yeah, that always bugged me to an irrational degree in Civ III's city list. I'd always rename Tokyo to Edo when I had a chance to name the city (in fact if it was plausible I'd put Edo in a good spot, and switch my capitol there at the dawn of the industrial age and rename it Tokyo...)

Oh well, everything else I'm seeing looks wonderful- I can't wait to get the game, or, short of that, to read more of this particular account.

This is very cool. Thank you very much for encouraging me to play some more on these short breaks where I read forums. You have really dedicated yourself to posting excellent additions, especially with the screenies. :D

Keep up the great work!

Top Bottom