if i get Warlords can i still play vanilla?

KMadCandy

giggling permanoob
i'm interested in warlords since some parts sound very cool. but, i tend to enjoy the builder type of play more than the warmongering, and it seems to me that warlords is even more leaning toward warmonging than vanilla.

i know that if i don't like warlords i can uninstall the whole thing and just install vanilla back. but, in SMAC there was a choice when you started the game, you could play vanilla SMAC or SMAX, you weren't locked into expansion play once you installed it. is that the case for Warlords?

i'm sure i'll try it anyway, and my husband is intrigued by warlords. we play by LAN sometimes, always cooperatively since i'd be stressed if he tried to beat me into the ground. if he does like warlords and i don't, could we still play multiplayer that way, or would he have to have two installs, one vanilla for us to MP and one vanilla+warlords for when he wants to play single player?

thanks for any help you can give me. gosh i love this civfanatics!!! the other night i wasn't tired and stayed up *all* night, didn't even start the game, just reading here, and following various links. it's a bad addiction for sure.

yep, when you install warlords, it creates another icon, so u can select either warlords or vanilla when ever you like.

You can play both Warlords and Vanilla Civ IV games on the same computer. They have two different executables and two different shortcuts.

You can still be a builder in Warlords, though the AI civs themselves (and the mix of them you tend to get) may make it a little harder than vanilla, as will the improved AI in the 2.08 patch. Remember, though, that there are two new wonders, and every civ now has a spiffy unique building.

The Great Wall wonder in particular seems ideal for builders, since it means those annoying barbs will leave you alone forever, and its GP points count towards a Great Engineer.

awesome!!!

some ideas in warlords really intrigue me. the unique buildings seem really cool. i saw a bunch of posts about unique buildings before i'd read too much about warlords and thought it was just people coming up with ideas. then i found out it was real and so i do want to try it!

and gosh even sisiutil answered me! i haven't posted on your ALC threads but i really do enjoy them, keep it up as long as it doesn't bore you! entertaining as all get out, and i learn so much :)

i was so hoping it was like smac in that you could choose. thanks guys!!!

Keep in mind that you need to have the right CD in the drive to play. Vanilla requires the original cIV disc, and WL requires the new one.

Both still work fine, though, and they create separate directories in your My Documents folder, so you can have different mods/scenarios/whatever for vanilla and WL play.

and gosh even sisiutil answered me! i haven't posted on your ALC threads but i really do enjoy them, keep it up as long as it doesn't bore you! entertaining as all get out, and i learn so much :)
Aw shucks. :blush: Your post made my day... :D

Top Bottom