Improved Diplomacy Texts!

redazncommieDXP

Warlord
I am embarking on a little project to replace the stupid silly diplomacy texts in Civ 4 to give the game a more serious, less childish tone. I am incorporating the RealQuotes mod (once I get permission from the maker), and also incorporating a lot of diplomacy texts from SMACX, which I feel are very appropriate. The goal is to completely remodel diplomacy so you actually feel like you're negotiating with a great and powerful leader from history, not casually chatting it up with one of your buddies.

Obviously, this project involves a lot of writing and creativity, which I do not have a limitless supply of. If anybody is willing to offer contributions, I would be extremely grateful and will mention you when this mod component is finished and published. For your convenience (if you'd like to help... please?) I've attached a list of quote categories and a sample quote. (this is pending. does anybody know how to create the little "spoiler" button?)

The goal is to make diplomacy text at the very least stately and diplomatic (like a statement a government would release to the press), or impressive ("There will be no glory in your sacrifice. I will erase even the memory of [CT_CIV_SHORT] from the histories. Every piece of greek parchment shall be burned. And every greek historian, and every scribe shall have their eyes put out, and their tongues cut from their mouth. Uttering the very name of [CT_CIV_SHORT], or [CT_NAME] will be punishable by death. The world will never know you existed at all.") There should be nothing like "I studied on killin' you" or "You are the wind beneath my wings, [CT_NAME]!"

I think they followed the very successful GalCiv approach to Diplomacy - which is humerous-almost-silly kind so as to appeal to as many people as possible.

But yes I agree a Authentic Diplo Text would be nice.

I have long wanted to do this myself, and time permitting, I would be happy to write up short statements for you. Even the diplomatic contacts from Civilization II were far more realistic and less cartoony than the Civ IV ones.

Great! First thing, I'd like to make the little spoiler buttons so I can post the diplo lines without cluttering up the whole page. Anybody know how to make those?

Easiest way to do that is to click "spoiler" under the full reply page, or you can use (spoiler)(/spoiler) but with brackets [] instead of parentheses.

A bit of the Civ II diplomacy text for war declarations:

Spoiler :
"We have decided to rid the world of your worthless civilization. Prepare for WAR!"

"You have insulted us for the last time. Now you shall taste our steel. Prepare for WAR!"

"We have had our fill of your impudence. It is time for our armies to teach you a lesson in manners. Prepare for WAR!"

"Our patience is exhausted. We can no longer tolerate your vile provocations. Prepare for WAR!"

Requests for war:

Spoiler :
"Our war with the hated %STRING1 is not going well for us, and we may not be able to hold out for much longer! Please send military help at once!"

Trade rejected:

Spoiler :
"No. Your weak civilization has nothing to offer us."

"Your offer is intriguing, but at present we do not have time to discuss it."

"Hah! We have no need of your pathetic %STRING1 'science.'"

Demand rejected:

Spoiler :
"We ignore your feeble threats."

Top Bottom