Hotseat is coming soon

Very cool. Any comment I would have on this would just be praise, since it's unquestionably a good thing.

So, rather than that, I'll ask a question (meant to provoke thought, although if you have an answer, great). Is there any chance hotseat could be converted into Play by Email? It seems a similar mechanic, just allow the game to be saved between turns so you can email it to the next person in line.

Just as I feared, no PBEM

this is lost on me, as I don't see how playing a TBS with other people, on the SAME pc is any fun. I mean you see what they're doing, what they're planning, unless your playing a team game. Still, this just isn't the kind of game I play multiplayer on, but to each his own.

Actually, like Louis said, if it can be saved between turns and/or password locked, you have PBEM without officially saying you have PBEM.

That would be nice. Granted, a favorable interface would be nice, but I'd take that as a stop gap while they work on other stuff.

Actually, like Louis said, if it can be saved between turns and/or password locked, you have PBEM without officially saying you have PBEM.

Yes and if I put a VNC server on my PC and start a hotseat game you don't need multiplayer.

That would be nice. Granted, a favorable interface would be nice, but I'd take that as a stop gap while they work on other stuff.

Of course all players are honorable and, after they save the game and sent you the file, they will not go and see everything about your armies, cities, buildings, ecc.

They wouldn't have your password.

If you meant they'd reload their turn and play it differently, that's been the case for every single Civ game. I only play against people I know for that reason. And, even if they cheated, I don't care about the game enough for it to matter.

Of course all players are honorable and, after they save the game and sent you the file, they will not go and see everything about your armies, cities, buildings, ecc.

Allow me to direct you here...

They wouldn't have your password.

Welp
You don't know yet if there will be password protection.
You don't even know if you will be able to save between turns.

In fact let me quote you 2K Greg official answer:
It's possible that hotseat will be possible to be used as an "unofficial PBEM" but I am not sure about that quite yet.

Neat. Now I can play with my siblings. :goodjob:

Awesome. Hotseat means I can test faster than normal by playing against myself. :lol:

You know there's a better place to post this. ;)

He has been asking for many of those items both here in the forums and on polycasts since last september. Maybe he figured that Greg would actually see it/pay attention to it if it was in one of Greg's own threads. I'm just glad that some of the more experienced civ4 players are actually paying attention to civ5 again.

He has been asking for many of those items both here in the forums and on polycasts since last september. Maybe he figured that Greg would actually see it/pay attention to it if it was in one of Greg's own threads. I'm just glad that some of the more experienced civ4 players are actually paying attention to civ5 again.

He has a place where he is able to post the above requests straight to the devs, according to the game credits.

So let me reiterate: There is a better place for him to post that. ;)

Yes and if I put a VNC server on my PC and start a hotseat game you don't need multiplayer.

:lol: hey, in other gaming communities they've ranted to get something like this (eh, resembles a dedicated server a little bit, doesn't it?).

He has been asking for many of those items both here in the forums and on polycasts since last september. Maybe he figured that Greg would actually see it/pay attention to it if it was in one of Greg's own threads.

You have to know that TMIT is beta tester, and they have somewhere at 2K/Firaxis their own forum ;).

Edit: muah, beaten by the hamster.

Welp
You don't know yet if there will be password protection.

No, you're right. However, the same flaw could apply to hotseat. What's to stop someone from logging on when you're not playing and playing ahead 10 turns of both his and your turns (without saving) so, next time you play, he has the advantage? There's a level of trust that you have to accept when playing a casual multiplayer game among friends.

You don't even know if you will be able to save between turns.

That's why all my posts were phrased in the conditional. I used "if" for a reason.

It's funny, Greg had to say

For those of you that do not know

despite it being a "much requested feature". Maybe it was the same group of people bugging 2K over and over because I had never heard of such request, nor did I know that it was missing.

Top Bottom