citizen management doesn't work???

syswei

Chieftain
In the first screenshot (civ5 default), citizen management is at default and I it will take 18 turns to build a settler.

In the second screenshot (civ5 manual) I have manually selected the marble tile and the forest tile (to the right of my capital). This means the 2 floodplain tiles are no longer selected. I should be getting 2 more hammers as a result (as well as 1 more gold and 2 less food)...but that isn't happening. I am still getting the identical 6 total production (upper left of screenshot) and it is still going to take 18 turns to produce the settler.

What is going on, please?

EDIT screenshots in next post

screenshots...

Attachments

• civ5 default sm.jpg
    civ5 default sm.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 264
  • civ5 manual sm.jpg
    civ5 manual sm.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 252
The second screenshot has a total of 6 production. 3 from the land tiles and 3 more from the palace.

Very simple answer:

You are building a Settler.

Some of the excess food gets turned into production when creating a Settler. So the 2 extra hammers you should be getting are balanced by the 2 surplus food you lose (which are otherwise converted into Settler production).

Too bad about your capital.

I personally would have settled on the incense. It is coastal in addition to being river. And you keep the Marble in your third ring, while also getting Whales in your third ring. Being on a desert means you could build a Stoneworks (which you can't in your current location which is on plains).

And though you'd have more plain desert tiles, it does set you up for Desert Folklore and/or Petra.

Too bad about your capital.

I personally would have settled on the incense. It is coastal in addition to being river. And you keep the Marble in your third ring, while also getting Whales in your third ring. Being on a desert means you could build a Stoneworks (which you can't in your current location which is on plains).

And though you'd have more plain desert tiles, it does set you up for Desert Folklore and/or Petra.

Is it important for resources to be in the 'third ring'? I thought if you assigned a worker to them you got the resource.

The excess food used to get turned into hammers in civ 4 but now in civ 5 it doesnt do that anymore..

excess food becomes hammers at a diminishing rate the more food there is

The resource is the resource. It doesn't matter which 'ring' the resource is located on for it to function as a resource, or to give benefit to the city for being, forex, marble. All that matters is that it be within your cultural borders and within three tiles of a given city for that city to be able to get any benefit (such as marble does in the early game) to the city. The key to it is (a) within three tiles, (b) within cultural borders, and (c) a worker (or workboat) has to go out to the tile in question and build the required improvement.

But Halcyan2's point is still valid. It would have been a much better position on the incense. Plus by settling on a luxury you get the luxury and its happiness without needing to spend time building the usual tile improvement. Cities built on resources or luxuries act as their own 'improvement' for that tile.

Is it important for resources to be in the 'third ring'? I thought if you assigned a worker to them you got the resource.

The resource may be obtained, but the yields from the tile are unreachable. Specifically, the extra yields over a generic tile. Without some sort of bonus yields, your cities will have mediocre output, placing you comparatively behind in development.

It's difficult to tell if you know this, but tile yields are distinct from resource acquisition. Strategic and luxury resources are possessed by the empire if and only if there is an improved tile of them inside the cultural borders of your civilization. Cultural Borders may be purchased out to the third ring, but will continue to grow as a result of local culture output out to the fifth ring.

The yields of a tile are only obtained if a citizen from some city works the tile. Yields are :c5food:, :c5production:, :c5gold:, as well as science, faith, culture, and the other quantities.

The resource may be obtained, but the yields from the tile are unreachable. Specifically, the extra yields over a generic tile. Without some sort of bonus yields, your cities will have mediocre output, placing you comparatively behind in development.

It's difficult to tell if you know this, but tile yields are distinct from resource acquisition. Strategic and luxury resources are possessed by the empire if and only if there is an improved tile of them inside the cultural borders of your civilization. Cultural Borders may be purchased out to the third ring, but will continue to grow as a result of local culture output out to the fifth ring.

The yields of a tile are only obtained if a citizen from some city works the tile. Yields are :c5food:, :c5production:, :c5gold:, as well as science, faith, culture, and the other quantities.

THIS!

The empire gets the benefit from a luxury or strategic resource so long as the tile is within cultural borders and the tile has been improved, but the city only gets a yield benefit from the tile and its improvement if the tile is within three of its location, and a citizen of the city is working the tile. The only exception is the effect marble has on early wonders. As I recall, the marble has to be improved with a quarry and be within three tiles of the city, but a citizen is not required to work the marble tile in order for the wonder production effect to kick in.

By removing the worker from the incense you might squeeze out another turn. Or you could buy a hill and move the worker from the incense to that hill for additional production.

Thanks for the replies. A general question...if I settle on top of a 'bonus' resource such as stone, do I get the production bonus of 1 extra hammer (once I research the masonry tech)?

THIS!

The empire gets the benefit from a luxury or strategic resource so long as the tile is within cultural borders and the tile has been improved, but the city only gets a yield benefit from the tile and its improvement if the tile is within three of its location, and a citizen of the city is working the tile. The only exception is the effect marble has on early wonders. As I recall, the marble has to be improved with a quarry and be within three tiles of the city, but a citizen is not required to work the marble tile in order for the wonder production effect to kick in.

There is a cool mod called 'City Limits' that shows you the boundary of the workable tiles.

The extra hammer comes from building on ground hills for sure. Some strategic resources could also sometimes add an extra hammer such as iron...

Thanks for the replies. A general question...if I settle on top of a 'bonus' resource such as stone, do I get the production bonus of 1 extra hammer (once I research the masonry tech)?

That bonus comes from the improvement - a quarry (or mine, or plantation, or whatever). Your city isn't a quarry. There is no definition of what "improving" a resource does to yields, only what specific improvements do, and also what specific improvements do to certain resources.
I've had a look at the XML. Mines and farms are base 1 hammer and 1 food. But quarries have no base yield, instead it is specified: a quarry stone is +1 hammer, and a quarry marble is +1 hammer. In the same way, Salt mines are +1 food (plus the fact all mines are +1 hammer).

Your city doesn't count as any improvement category, so you get no extra yields when improving a resource with it. Despite this loss, settling on the Incense is a viable plan because , as with most Plantation luxuries, it's only 1 :c5old: you're missing.

The only way that a city increases the yield of a tile is, the settings in the database are checked, which say that City Food is Two and City Production is One. Before any per-city modifiers are applied, such as with Maritime City States, or Social Policies, if the [FOOD] yield would be less than [TWO], instead it is Two, and if the [PRODUCTION] yield would be less than [ONE], instead it is One. To really explain the full rules would almost require just showing you the code, more correct than which I can't possibly be.

Top Bottom