Road maintenance won't change

oPunchDrunko

Prince
Ok, so I'm trying to reduce road maintenance from 1 GPT to 0. I know exactly how to do it, but for some reason it doesnt work in the game. Here is where the file is found:

Assets - Gameplay - XML - Misc - CIV5Routes

If you scroll down and look at the section for roads, you will find gold maintenance, which is set to 1. All I did was change that to 0, but the game still says it costs 1 GPT.

Could somebody help me out here?

Moderator Action: Moved to main C&C forum. The subforums are only for completed mods, not questions.

Have you tested it to see if it actually still costs maintenance? The text is handled differently, so you may have updated it and it may not actually cost any maintenance, but since you haven't changed the text that text will still show it as costing maintenance. If that makes any sense

Are you trying to edit Brave New World? That has a different install path than vanilla, so perhaps you're editing the wrong file.
If OP is directly-editing the base game's files, this is probably the most likely explanation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Vanilla files are at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML
  2. G&K files are at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML
  3. BNW files are at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML
The beginning portion of your file path might be slightly different depending on whether you have Win7, Win10, etc. (I have Win8.1)

I'm 100% positive that I only edited the base game file, which is vanilla. Besides, I just checked both Expansion and Expansion2 and they don't even have a CIV5Routes file. I'm guessing Pouakai was right and it has something to do with a text file.

Can anyone help?

You're right of course that "Routes" are one of those corner-cases that are only ever specified in the Vanilla folder, but are used by all 3.

Neither of the two text-keys referenced here:
Code:
<Row>
	<ID>0</ID>
	<Type>ROUTE_ROAD</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_ROUTE_ROAD</Description>
	<Value>1</Value>
	<AdvancedStartCost>12</AdvancedStartCost>
	<Movement>30</Movement>
	<FlatMovement>30</FlatMovement>
	<GoldMaintenance>1</GoldMaintenance>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_ROAD_TEXT</Civilopedia>
	<PortraitIndex>40</PortraitIndex>
	<IconAtlas>TERRAIN_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
</Row>
state anything about the amount of maintenance paid. The Civilopedia one in fact never mentioned gold maintenance as I recall, just how important roads have been to various empires.

File C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML\NewText\EN_US\CIV5GameTextInfos_Jon.xml has this, which is used by all 3 expansions:
Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILD_ROAD_HELP">
	<Text>[COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]Costs[ENDCOLOR] 1 [ICON_GOLD] Gold per turn to maintain.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]An unbroken chain of Roads allows Units to move more quickly across the map.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Connecting Cities to your capital will provide a large amount of [ICON_GOLD] Gold per turn.</Text>
</Row>

(also take note that the forum likes to insert spaces into long uninterrupted strings of text as a spam-defeat measure)

LeeS, I went into the file you directed me to and changed the gold per turn number ( which is right after [ENDCOLOR] ), started a new game and it still says the road is 1 GPT.

However, I did a test in the game and built a few roads and the roads didn't cost me anything. So, the change to CIV5Routes worked, but for some reason the text in game still won't change.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Can somebody help me out? I can change the maintenance to 0, but I can't figure out how to get the text to change in the game.

I threw this into an existing mod I was running in-game in order to make a quick test of being the correct TXT_KEY to alter for the tooltip:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Replace Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILD_ROAD_HELP">
			<Text>[COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]Costs[ENDCOLOR] 1-jillion [ICON_GOLD] Gold per turn to maintain.
			[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]An unbroken chain of Roads allows Units to move more quickly across the map.
			[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Connecting Cities to your capital will provide a large amount of [ICON_GOLD] Gold per turn.</Text>
		</Replace>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>
And this was what I got in-game:
Spoiler :
I have to think there is something you are not doing correctly.

I re-checked using AgentRansack. For the English language there is only the one file I specified that holds the info for TXT_KEY_BUILD_ROAD_HELP

Well I don't know what the heck im doing wrong. I did exactly what you told me to do and still no change in the text in the game.

Top Bottom