You Mean Warmonger You!!!

Zaldrizes

Warlord
So, the only game I've played has pretty much been centered around a peaceful empire that actually plays by the AI's diplo rules and tries not to cause too many ripples. I did this with Civ IV a lot, too. But I think it's time for the gloves to come off. They will in this game, but...

Who do you just LOVE to kick some AI tail with? I don't have any specific strategy in mind, so feel free to just lay it out any way you please. Favorite combo of UA, UU, UB, Religious beliefs (if at all), SP, and whatever else you can add. I can handle this myself, but I'd much rather hear what crazy havoc you've been able to sow and reap and how best to do so!

I haven't yet played with all the Civilizations or the UUs, but I definitely enjoy going to war as Japan with a horde of highly-promoted Samurai against whoever is opposing me. I also love early wars as Montezuma with massive swathes of Jaguar warriors, even if just against rampaging barbarians. It makes the honor tree exceptionally viable to start out with. Pretty much any swordsman/longswordsman or ancient/classical UU is fantastic to use.

Medieval warfare is the most interesting since you get a wide array of units to play with. Industrial warfare is also fun as the first modern gunpowder units start to form and are accompanied by cavalry and cannons. Modern warfare is also interesting when you get armored and flying units, but it tends to wind down once the nukes start flying everywhere. Naval warfare is something that I've yet to try with wide success, but it's much better after you get navigation for frigates and privateers.

What it comes down to is siege warfare, particularly in conquest. My military tends to be comprised heavily of melee units backed up by siege weapons and a few ranged or mobile units to soften up contenders. That said, I rarely ever build mobile or air units; horses and fighters may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. In approaching plans for war, my goal is not to fight unnecessarily but to carry the big stick and speak softly for as long as I can. Unless of course, the other guy is going to reach a VC before me or is going to gun for me no matter what. Sometimes you have to keep other civs in check from time to time so there's that too.

I particularly like to build up my units very early in the game and continue to upgrade and promote them throughout the ages, especially if they become or are a unique unit that keeps their abilities when upgraded. Jaguar riflemen and Cho-ku-nu gatling guns are nothing to scoff at. The only problem with this is that if you don't take them out to bust heads regularly, you will end up with a bunch of under-experienced units that you could both replace easily and have with more promotions.

This is G&K specific, yes?

Well The Huns are so good it almost feels like cheating.

England is good for war on archipelagos.

Russia are very competent warmongers, great with synergy to get Iron Working from the library(which gives you the super-production strategic resource you need), and maybe a cheeky heroic epic.

Warring is also viable with the Iroquois, a civ that doesn't need iron for an early rush and gets a lot of hammers.

Most people consider China a top-tier civ for warring, and I agree.

Are you doing a mixed war strategy or just aiming for total catharsis? If you war for the sake of it, use one of the above civs. But if you plan to combine war with some other strategy or objective(i.e. gaining wonders, territory, resources, eliminating a rival), then civs like the Aztecs, the Celts, the Greeks, and Romans can all pull off really good early wars to put them in a better position for the later game.

@Ximixanga: Quite funny that you mentioned horsemen and fighters because I am very much like you in that regard. I tend to find myself using a lot of longswordsmen and only a knight or two for cleaning up archers and siege units. Currently, I am Rome, as I am, as you say carrying the big stick and speaking softly, although I'm speaking softly more than not. I just wish the Legion's UA carried over like the Jaguars and such you mention. That'd be cool.

@MantaRevan: I actually am Rome and I find them to be an excellent civ for combining war with wonders and, of course, infrastructure. I do tend to go for "total catharsis" next time though, so I'm thinking maybe the Huns. But I almost started with Russia before I chose Rome. Maybe that's a sign. Hah.

Thanks guys!

Btw, I know I pre-fixed this post with G&K, but I'm open to BNW suggestions as well, since I will get it soon, I'm sure.

Top Bottom