Civilization VI announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant about the colors was not that it wasn't Japan - that's already quite clear. What I'm saying is that if Japan is now red and white, then England could be white and red, and it would still fit.
I wouldn't be surprised if America used native architecture - they did give it to Brazil, after all, even though Mediterranean was much more fitting.

I imagine the game will come with mostly the same civs as V (some different leader choices though), but with the Iroquois being replaced with another native civ, Siam with Khmer, Burma or Vietnam and Songhai with Mali, Ghana or Kanem-Bornu. Maybe a couple more as well, like Sumer.

One guess of mine is that Australia or Canada will be a strong contender for one of the possible civs. I remember they were the other choices alongside Brazil for the colonial civ in BNW - but we know which one they went with.

One guess of mine is that Australia or Canada will be a strong contender for one of the possible civs. I remember they were the other choices alongside Brazil for the colonial civ in BNW - but we know which one they went with.
The best one.

Graphic style aside, from these screenshots it looks like they'll do something that was in CIV but missing in CiV: every building having a unique model. I wonder how will aqueducts work.
While we're at that, I hope roads become paved after Industrial (or Modern) era.

Just saw this thread. OH DEAR those graphics... was it Jan that said he was confident that Civ6 wouldn't end up with cartoony graphics like CivRev?

I just

what

why Firaxis

WHY

I can't even

...I'll be honest guys, I hate those graphics so much that I can barely consider even buying the game. I was hoping for something less... straight out of a Disney movie, or League of Legends or something, like a game I would be embarrassed if anyone saw me playing. I wouldn't even care if the graphics were "downgraded" to, say, Civ4 style. I'm sure the gameplay is fine, but if I have to look at that the whole time while I play...

That said, no, I know ahead of time I won't be getting into civ6 modding. My future plans don't allow for it and they're currently demanding that finish up with civ5 modding as quickly as possible. (NOTE: That doesn't mean I'm leaving anytime soon, but I will be in the foreseeable future) I will support, though, any voluntary community efforts to port 16NP to civ6, if anyone wants to. Just leave Civ5 16NP to me.

It looks like Wonders will now occupy entire tiles - the Emancipation Gate/Exodus Gate (Mind Flower also? I've never won a Transcendence victory) from BE are, I assume, the predecessors to this - which I fully do not support either. Those are tiles that could be used for something useful instead and it kind of seems like another excuse to show off the new civ6 graphics... and you know how I feel about that...

A bit surprised that they didn't remove the hex grid in favor of a square one. I thought many players coming from older iterations to civ5 were extremely displeased with the feature, and it seems from a coding and modeling perspective that square grids are easier to work with anyway. Why no change?

Still, pleased at the reintroduction of building graphics in cities from cvi4, although that will make modding much harder for anyone making a civ with a UB.

And those are my $0.02.

A bit surprised that they didn't remove the hex grid in favor of a square one. I thought many players coming from older iterations to civ5 were extremely displeased with the feature, and it seems from a coding and modeling perspective that square grids are easier to work with anyway. Why no change?

Because they are keeping 1-UPT, thankfully.

Presumably wonders take a whole tile so you need to be more strategic about them instead of just spamming what you can - and on lower difficulties, that's quite a lot.
I'm glad they're keeping hexes though, it looks much prettier.

Because they are keeping 1-UPT, thankfully.

Oh yes, thank heavens, wouldn't want my soldiers to march into enemy territory without tripping over each other. :p

On the plus side, the removal of SoDs was probably a good choice for lower level players like me, who are mostly the victims of them rather than actually making effective use of them. On the down side, Civ5 is easier than civ4, so maybe I could've made good use of SoDs. Guess we'll never know now :p

BTW, just read what Jan said on the first page:
...the overall focus on exaggerated, cartoonish proportions along with the pictures being so saturated and bright is a terrible decision in my opinion. I was hoping for a graphical upgrade that newer mid-tier PCs can handle, and not for a downgrade to mobile-game level aesthetics... I think I can safely say that I prefer the more grandiose, realistic art style of Civ 5 so far.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like
(Graham's number * ((planck length)^-1)) / 10
A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-++++ would A+ again

Also, not sure where Jan got the whole "city districts" thing from, but that would be interesting, as long as it didn't end up like Civ4's Final Frontier (is that the name? the BTS built-in space mod) building system where you build buildings on planets on a solar system... and then no other planet in that solar system has access to the buildings, so you either have to build every building too many times or just have a bunch of dysfunctional planets, I don't remember. Other than that, I would be interested to see what the function of city districts actually is.

Oooh, the art style will change. I can tell.
Jan (if he decides to move to Civ VI) will most definetley need to do something new.

Also, 1UPT is staying, but in a new way. you can combine units into more powerful 'Corps', with unique graphics once combined. so Anti-Tank and Infantry will look like anti-tank combined with infantry. Rather then just infantry with an anti-tank icon hovering above it or something.

Obviously it's early, but what are modders currently thinking about doing for civ 6 in terms of civs? Are you guys planning on "updating" your existing mods for civ 6 and reusing art assets if the icon style doesn't change too much?

Hard to say, the leaders might be cartoony too, sadly.
I definitely want to make a Bosnia for it though, the Stecak would be great for districts and such.
Unless Bosnia is already in

If the leaders are cartoony, I'd gladly replace them with static images from Civ V or Jan.
The icons will probably be very different though. I wonder if they'll just take images from Google again.

Oh yes, thank heavens, wouldn't want my soldiers to march into enemy territory without tripping over each other.

On the plus side, the removal of SoDs was probably a good choice for lower level players like me, who are mostly the victims of them rather than actually making effective use of them. On the down side, Civ5 is easier than civ4, so maybe I could've made good use of SoDs. Guess we'll never know now
I don't know if you've read it, but it'll be possible to combine multiple units of the same kind into a stronger one. For example, 5 Infantry makes an Infantry Corps. Also, more specific kinds of units will be removed, and instead become attachments for normal ones. For example, anti-tank and AA guns will be attachments for infantry, and if I recall correctly I saw an article mentioning battering rams as well.

Unless Bosnia is already in

Don't worry, it'll be there right alongside Chile. :p

I have a hunch leaders will look a lot more like Civ IV ones than Civ V ones, if the art style is any indication.

Personally I don't have much problem with it, if you look at the Samurai from that screenshot, it doesn't look too different from a Samurai from Civ5, odds are if we import units from this game onto that they won't stand out much actually.

I think that it seems to be a lot more like that because of lightning and the camera angle. Frankly, given that I do play with a pretty high saturation and consider Civ to fit in more with a game-esque style of design rather than something like Paradox's simulation-esque style of design, I'm actually quite pleased with it, looks fairly nice on my end.

That said, I might just be an absolute scrublord.

I just noticed something:
"Expand your empire with Civilization VI Digital Deluxe, which includes the complete game, the 25th anniversary soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs, which add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders at a discount".
This seems to heavily imply that there will be more than one leader per civilization, which is excellent. On the other hand, it also implies a lot of DLC, which is bad.

On the other hand, it also implies a lot of DLC, which is bad.
*Coming from Paradox*

You merely adopted the dlc. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a finished game until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but boring!

I'm also extremely disappointed in the way Firaxis decided to handle the aesthetics of the game. I was really hoping for a continuation on the previous improvements they've shown between the 4th and 5th installations but now it seems much more akin to mobile games or Civilization Revolution.

I'm also somewhat skeptical of how they handle alternate leaders and the new mechanic of forming unit corps. I simply don't want to see two or three corps simply rapidly wipe out an entire standing army.

Jan (if he decides to move to Civ VI) will most definetley need to do something new

Replacing Civ 6 leaders with static Civ 5 leaders will suffice. :p After that cutting and pasting modded leaders from Civ 5 will be cakewalk.

Unless some talented 3D person comes in and ruins saves the day.

Or if there's a leader editor released, so we not so gifted in 3D graphics can make new leaders easily! *dreams* But that would mean leaderheads will be as simple as Civ 4/Civ 3 ones *dreads*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom