Civilization VI announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything in Civ6 looks larger then Civ5, so i don't think this is a worry. Cities take up multiple tiles, but each tile appears to have quite large buildings so it doesn't appear too sprawling.

I was talking about the spaces between cities becoming unnervingly narrow and cramped because of how districts will have to be spaced out. I like those endless rolling hills and fields of Civ 5, hope that will still be a viable landscape to achieve in Civ 6. But as I mentioned earlier - if on some occassions two cities become so large in later eras that they create a conurbation, I'd be pretty happy with that either. It's happening right now IRL, so having it in a Civ game could be really neat.

I think we now know one of the topics for Modcast next time we record!
I knew I'd seen this comment somewhere but I couldn't seem to find it :crazyeye:

I think it would make a good episode, but only if you waited a month or two two have more info, I think. Otherwise it would be speculation based on surmise based on hopes and dreams based on info-dribblets. And this assumes that Ed Beach and Co. are a little more forthcoming about the game mechanics, and/or address to some degree what modding in 6 will be like.

I sure hope they've commissioned somebody to do a 6 version of Kael's 5-guide.

I was talking about the spaces between cities becoming unnervingly narrow and cramped because of how districts will have to be spaced out. I like those endless rolling hills and fields of Civ 5, hope that will still be a viable landscape to achieve in Civ 6. But as I mentioned earlier - if on some occassions two cities become so large in later eras that they create a conurbation, I'd be pretty happy with that either. It's happening right now IRL, so having it in a Civ game could be really neat.

I guess it'll be based on map size, same as any civ game. Large maps will probably have larger gaps.

Now, I don't have a lot to build this on, but do you think we're going to get spherical maps in Civ6? If you look at the screenshots, it looks a little bit like the map tilts to the sides out near the borders of the visible map. I don't know if it's just wishful thinking on my part, but it would be pretty cool I think.

I think something that massive would be mentioned? Although they might be keeping it secret.

Some interesting points -
In a talk over 2 of the devs did of the trailer, they mentioned that 4 of the buildings that appear in the trailer will be ingame. 2 of them, a Unique Improvement, and 2 of them Wonders.
Now heres the fascinating thing. It was The Sphinx, The Forbidden Palace, The Colliseum and the Great Wall of China.
What do people think are the unique improvements of those 4, and what do people think will be the wonders.

More discussion here too, what new feature are you most excited for? I'd quite like to see a civilization with a focus on the districts, or perhaps one that focuses on the corps. New features = new UAs to play around with!

And mod tools will apparently be better, allowing for us to go crazy from day one. But we always here that.

A few options:

a) Sphinx and Collosseum as Wonders; China gets two improvements, but the Forbidden Palace is actually your capital city that claims nearby tiles as districts, and the Great Wall you build over time, and not as a single Wonder.

b) Forbidden Palace and Great Wall are Wonders as they used to be in former Civs; Sphinx and Collosseum are improvements. Makes more sense - Romans built those damn things everywhere, while a Sphinx looks cool so it'd be nice to have it everywhere. More likely option.

Now, there is an IGN video with Mr. Beach and Mr. Shirk talking about the teaser trailer and what it hints at. There was a notion of a dynamic technology system, in which you will research technologies faster, if you do things that are tied to them ("if you build a quarry you will research Masonry faster"). This sort of dynamic tech "tree" is right now in Stellaris, where you pick next research from a "card deck" of techs, and the chance of specific techs spawning increases when certain conditions are met. I wonder what would it mean for big overhaul mods? Would implementing new techs be easier, as you wouldn't have to define tech connections as rigidly? Would it be possible at all to interfere with it? How much of a tree it will be in the end? Lots of questions.

Now, there is an IGN video with Mr. Beach and Mr. Shirk talking about the teaser trailer and what it hints at. There was a notion of a dynamic technology system, in which you will research technologies faster, if you do things that are tied to them ("if you build a quarry you will research Masonry faster"). This sort of dynamic tech "tree" is right now in Stellaris, where you pick next research from a "card deck" of techs, and the chance of specific techs spawning increases when certain conditions are met. I wonder what would it mean for big overhaul mods? Would implementing new techs be easier, as you wouldn't have to define tech connections as rigidly? Would it be possible at all to interfere with it? How much of a tree it will be in the end? Lots of questions.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/0...building-science-and-diplomacy#prclt-s61pv5bB
Further info here. This article is a good read and seems to give the best info on the new features.

Technology bonuses (Eureka Moments, as they will be called) will be gained by doing actions on the map.
"Masonry, for instance, will be sped along by taking a builder unit and creating quarry terrain improvements to earn scientific credit. A nation with no stone to mine, however, will have to spend more time brute-forcing their way through that research. "
This also means Quarries will likely come before Masonry, which makes some sense. It also makes it much more realistic, in a sense. How does a nation discover something without first doing things? "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants." There needs to be an idea, and that idea is worked off of. So, if a civilization is by the ocean, they will look at that ocean and go "what's on the other side. We need to make a way across", and they will invent boats. People will look at those boats and go "I can improve this!".

"coastal cities that build lots of boats and harbors will get similar boosts toward naval advancements."
With this, i imagine being a coastal city will make Sailing easier to research. Then sailing allows you to make boats. these boats boost your way to the next naval science.

"Fighting barbarians in the early game will increase your military technology research – and so on"
We must fear whichever civilization gets the barbarian bonus this time. Perhaps Germany again, but unlikely.

And more insight into districts.

"Firaxis has created the concept of 12 different types of color-coded Districts (five or six of which will be available from the beginning) that exist on their own tiles on the map, outside the city center and will house specific building types. “A science district, which we’ve called a campus, once constructed will allow you to put a library and a university and a research lab out on that tile. And now your city is sort of specialized toward being a really good science city,”"

TWELVE?!

five or six available from the beginning is too vague. Do they mean the districts are available from Civ6's equivalent to Agriculture. Or does it mean DLC?

Civ6 appears to be playing out similiar to a board game. Placing your tiles smartly. And i love board games. and it's no surprise that Ed Beach is in charge of Civ6 and he's a board game designer!

I'd imagine that the Great Wall and the Forbidden Palace are wonders, while the Sphinx is Egypt's UI (there were more than one after all) and the colosseum is Rome's.

Hrm, I think the Great Wall and Coliseum will be the UI's mentioned, though the Forbidden Palace could also make sense as a unique District

The Forbidden Suburb.

The Forbidden Suburb.
:lol:

Also:
Having the option to create Corps (unlocked in the Napoleonic era), and then later add a third unit to create an Army (unlocked around 100 years later), is designed to open up new tactics and reduce overcrowding on the map.
A mistake by the article writer from ign perhaps? Seems a little way too specific for an era name :S

Hmm, I wonder if, given the new engine, Civvi will have built-in multiplayer mod support? I'm pessimistic because this is Firaxis we're talking about here. :p

Further insight into the possible levels of modding.

Theres a purely cosmetic day-night cycle. Read more about it in the article. But this is the most interesting part of the discussion.
Busatti says a feature like time-of-day lighting could find other purposes. “There are plenty of ways to tie it in for the modding community. I could see someone making a Gettysburg game where the time of the day actually indicates when the game’s going to be over. So you start your battle at sunrise, and it gets incrementally darker every turn until it’s night time, and that’s the end of the game.”

and about unit art. It's now "culturally diverse" to a certain level. Slight flares to the unit, while still keeping the recognisable shape.

But even the base units, like the Pikemen, all have a cultural flare to them.” Drawing from a collection of region-specific cosmetic pieces, Firaxis is creating variations to suit their home countries. “You still need to be able to read them as Pikemen – he still needs a long post, and it’s a very iconic shape. But we’ve gone a little further by changing up helmets, maybe the ends of the pike looks slightly different depending on the region the character is from. We’ve also got different skin tones, different ethnicity for the characters.” He adds that these cosmetic tweaks are the sort of thing modders will be able to put their own spin on very easily.

Accoding to how good the tools are, this could make modding a new civ with a whole seperate cultural appearance more difficult. Say Colonialist Legacies remade the Inuit for civ5, it wouldn't make sense to use whatever Firaxis has made for native americans since it wouldn't look right. So they would need to produce a new cultural appearance for every basic unit.
But he does say "very easily". So yay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom