What is a Succession Game?

Can anyone make a succession game? They just post a thread?

That's about it, although it's usually a good idea state what type of game you have in mind (Space Ship, 100k Culture, Always War, etc), the difficulty level, how many players you're looking for and what experience level they should have, and anything else you believe is important. It's also a good idea to post a link in the SG Registry pinned at the top of the forum so people know there's a new game starting.

In the screenies, the graphics look different than the ones I see in single player. Yes, I do have Civ 3, I got Civ 3 Complete (Windows). And yes, I was looking at games for civ3. Is there just later and earlier versions, or a patch, am I an idiot, or is it just something else?

May not be a big deal, I just want to make sure that If I join a game, I could play it.

Thanks, and for such a quick response

Not sure who will read this, if anyone, but I think we need another term for use besides Lurker. I say that as lurker implies one is following the game and reading much of what is posted.

That may not be the case as often you just drop by from time to time and are not really aware of exactly what is going on and are not following the game real close.

How about kibitzer for those types of post or something. I sometimes feel it is misleading for me to post lurker, when in fact I have not read any post in a few days.

Anyway just figured I would toss this out to see if anyone had a similar idea or another term or even if I spelled it correctly.

Kibitzer's note: Fine with me! I was never very fond of the word 'lurker'. I have to admit I had to grab the dictionary for 'kibitzer', but it seems to fit, and yes, spelling is alright.

I think it is a Yiddish word. I remember hearing it used in card games at the pool hall as a 13-14 year old and being told it was basically offering your .02 about what was going on.

Anyway I will start using lurker for when I actually am following the game most of the time and kibitzer when it is occasional.

Yiddish for sure!
This is what the online dictionary gives as explanation of the term:
1. a spectator at a card game who looks at the players' cards over their shoulders, esp. one who gives unsolicited advice.
2. a giver of uninvited or unwanted advice.
3. a person who jokes, chitchats, or makes wisecracks, esp. while others are trying to work or discuss something seriously.

Actually, all of this sounds a slight bit negative about the kibitzer, like you would rather not have him around with his comments!

I think lurker is adequate, and doesn't have the negative connotations that kibitzer has.

I have a question. How do you know who you are playing with?:confused:
If you're considering joining an SG you would first look at the difficulty level and what type of variant. This will also determine what other people will join.
Although there are some SG teams that have been together for quite a few games, I believe all SG's are open for anybody to join.

The standard thing to do when you start an SG is to list anyone that you already know will play. IOW you make a rooster and post it near the start.

It may look like this:

You
Him
Her
Open
Open

As you fill the rooster you edit that post and put in the new names. If you see open, they are looking for players. If not, you could still post to ask to join.

Top Bottom