Civ3 App for Android/Apple/...

Bengal Tiger

Emperor
Does anyone know if it is even possible to make something like this? I mean, one that can use the same mods/scenarios as a PC. It would be really useful if you don't have a laptop and are going on a trip or something. I simply wonder how much skill/effort it would take to make this. Of course, it might be really annoying setting up controls and such, but it would probably be extremely popular. I for one would be willing to pay 5-10$ if it were to appear on android market one day.

Fascinating question. I remember reading about a port of a Civ game (I think it was Civ3) to the N-gage portable gaming platform. I also saw where someone had gotten Call To Power ( a Civ wannabe game from the Civ2 era) to work under Linux. IIRC, both Android and iOS are closer relatives to Unix and Linux than Windows7 or even the upcoming Windows 8.

A more relevant example would be the console versions of CivRev (Civilization Revolution), which is a streamlined version of Civ4. By using Python and XML in Civ4 and CivRev for implementing key parts of the game, the port to Android or iOS would be easier. The guts of Civ3 are architected for Windows, back in the early 2000s, and I'm not sure how eager Firaxis/2K would be to refurbish those modules.

Does anyone know if it is even possible to make something like this?

I simply wonder how much skill/effort it would take to make this.

I'm sure it's possible, but with the source code of Civ 3 supposedly lost, this would mean to reengineer and recreate the whole game from scratch on the new platform. If you can do that you could also just program your own civilization game. So I don't think this is anything that will ever happen...

Too bad. Although, Jimmyh is making a new version of civ3 minus the limits and some extra features(the thread is in the main part of Creation and Customization). This is more speculative than anything else, but if anyone knows how to replicate a program for a different platform...

Top Bottom