G-Minor XXVIII

That IS awsome!!! I'm having trouble finishing one opponent off in less than 62t in an Emperor Duel at the moment. Three is.....well......astounding! I'll put the scout-warrior start to work in my duels.

Good! :D It didn't make any sense to me. I guess it was just pop up delay.

I want to thank you and curse you. This stuff is highly addictive. :) And I have pressing dead lines in RL. Damn that work...

Expected low 60's finish from you. Good job! :king:
Did you start with scout for early upgrade or just ruins?
I've got scarcher once but no camps luck at all. Then switched to warrior start, assuming two warriors will recruit more barbs than one plus a scout who's running around desperately looking for ruins.

The only way I could conceive of getting anywhere near such an amazing finnish would be to open a ruins giving me archery, turn two find Eldorado and purchase an archer, turn three take the archer to a ruins and become a crossbowman, even then I would still struggle!
Have to share something...
Spoiler :

:cool:
Too bad that upgrade came on turn 50 after I've failed to convert a single barb and still was 3 capitals away from winning. But I just had to finish that game, couldn't let it go. Mostly fooling around obviously. Also AI is so different in each game. The biggest force any AI ever had. Tried to match my overkilling force probably. :D

given 3 opponents, i think you want to build / recruit a sufficient army just going one direction, and only then start on 2nd army for other direction. basically you want to time it so the first army takes out its second opponent while the second army takes out final opponent.
I came to the same conclusion and split my army after taking first capital. Had I not waited for it to be merged again would have finished at 68-69. Wasn't able to replicate the same camp luck though.

Attachments

• defense.jpg
    defense.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 142
Too bad that upgrade came on turn 50 after I've failed to convert a single barb and still was 3 capitals away from winning. But I just had to finish that game, couldn't let it go. Mostly fooling around obviously. Also AI is so different in each game. The biggest force any AI ever had. Tried to match my overkilling force probably. :D

Thanks for sharing, you make a good point about the size of the force you encountered, I am not very confident about my fighting abilities, so I would always form a large army and in my attempts it was not unusual to encounter four warriors, one archer and two stuborn scouts positioned perfectly like imovable statues! Encountering this at the first capital was definately my downfall on many occasions because I would approach the next one devoid of any possible promotions!

Thanks for sharing, you make a good point about the size of the force you encountered, I am not very confident about my fighting abilities, so I would always form a large army and in my attempts it was not unusual to encounter four warriors, one archer and two stuborn scouts positioned perfectly like imovable statues! Encountering this at the first capital was definately my downfall on many occasions because I would approach the next one devoid of any possible promotions!
It was the only time I've seen force that can be considered as such. Usually there were only 3-4 warriors and 1-2 archers at last capital. In my game I was lucky to recruit huge army very fast. On turn 36 I had 4 warriors, spearman and two archers positioned next to arabian border, when all of a sudden I saw 5 green warriors heading in Berlin's direction. :lol: Speaking of giving credit to AI. I let them move away and took completely undefended Mecca.

It was the only time I've seen force that can be considered as such. Usually there were only 3-4 warriors and 1-2 archers at last capital. In my game I was lucky to recruit huge army very fast. On turn 36 I had 4 warriors, spearman and two archers positioned next to arabian border, when all of a sudden I saw 5 green warriors heading in Berlin's direction. :lol: Speaking of giving credit to AI. I let them move away and took completely undefended Mecca.

I must have spent 100 hours attempting this challenge, but I am a novice at this type of game and I too came across alot of unusual circumstances. I missed a golden opportunity of which you have spoken, I had taken Mecca and decided to split my remaing four warriors in both directions, three turns later I came across undefended Paris (size 10), it seems their army had gone off on a crusade to conquer India. I recalled my other two warriors and GG, six turns later I had a captured archer two damaged warriors and two fully healed warriors which would have been enough but for the returning French Imperial Guard! I guess to match vexing's score we need a combination of these events to fall into place.

Here is a list of some of the frustrating things I came across.

1 - Going into the fog and finding a mountain range flanked by a City State, so totally impassable.

2 - Finding Delhi with City Walls, several times.

3 - 75 gold time after time, first of all I consoled myself with the thoughts that the law of averages will come to my rescue, but the truth of the matter is what has gone has gone and your next barb camp is still a 50 50 chance!

4 - Being attacked by barbarians that come out of the fog just as you are about to take a City, this can often turn the tide in the defenders favour. I have to say though, sometimes these barbarian invaders can work to our favour.

5 - Running round a barb camp with your first warrior trying to entice them to come and attack, but they stay put. This was my main reason for a quick restart.

This particular G - Minor is over but I havn't given up on this game yet, I enjoy learning from my own experiences and shall endevour to get there in the end!

Good gaming, The Pilgrim, and thanks once again for sharing.

i was building monument. tried vexing suggestion of scout first. pushing initial warrior deep towards the AI meant I could nick a few of their ruins. scout swept up close to home.

I still can't get the hang of luring units out of the city without losing a unit of my own. any tips on that anyone?

managed a turn of 76 trying above. think i discovered honor on my last turn :)

(also, how do you turn off the DLC civs to make your game compatible? I just hoped that I didnt get any in this challenge!)

I must have spent 100 hours attempting this challenge, but I am a novice at this type of game and I too came across alot of unusual circumstances. I missed a golden opportunity of which you have spoken, I had taken Mecca and decided to split my remaing four warriors in both directions, three turns later I came across undefended Paris (size 10), it seems their army had gone off on a crusade to conquer India. I recalled my other two warriors and GG, six turns later I had a captured archer two damaged warriors and two fully healed warriors which would have been enough but for the returning French Imperial Guard! I guess to match vexing's score we need a combination of these events to fall into place.
What needed is ruin love (popping Archery and culture) and camps luck. And enough tactics skill to take down a capital with no more than 5 units. In this case sub 60 is possible. I think... :rolleyes:

1 - Going into the fog and finding a mountain range flanked by a City State, so totally impassable.
Reroll! :D
You can set 5 billion years world, but tbh, I didn't notice any difference on this particular map script.

2 - Finding Delhi with City Walls, several times.
Choosing opponents with high defensive orientation is a big mistake. Gandhi is probably the worst possible pick.

3 - 75 gold time after time, first of all I consoled myself with the thoughts that the law of averages will come to my rescue, but the truth of the matter is what has gone has gone and your next barb camp is still a 50 50 chance!
Yeah. It's annoying. Very. :(

5 - Running round a barb camp with your first warrior trying to entice them to come and attack, but they stay put. This was my main reason for a quick restart.
Or you can attack from forested adjacent tile and hope your warrior doesn't die the next turn. If it does, then you can reroll. :lol:

This particular G - Minor is over but I havn't given up on this game yet, I enjoy learning from my own experiences and shall endevour to get there in the end!
Me too. :) Don't know why, but this is incredibly fun scenario. I usually get bored very fast, not with this one. Finally I'll have more time over the weekend, so dear barbs here I come! :cool:

Choosing opponents with high defensive orientation is a big mistake. Gandhi is probably the worst possible pick.

Speaking of which, I have been scouring the S&T forum looking for a good summary of the strategic tenancies of the various AI Civs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Me too. :) Don't know why, but this is incredibly fun scenario. I usually get bored very fast, not with this one. Finally I'll have more time over the weekend, so dear barbs here I come! :cool:

This one really is a most educational and habituating challenge. After this challenge and studying FeiLing's legendary 41t Bismark v Egypt duel, I have started developing a new approach to short conquests:

1) Settle on a gold/silver/gems hill.

2) Research mining, sell resource to the AI and buy a warrior/archer. Since I get one free, can always build one in a maximum of 30 turns, and I can buy one, the worse case I face is flipping 2 barbarian camps to get 5 units in less than 40 turns.

3) Lure defenders away from their capital(s). I'm still working on this one, although bribed AI DoWs is starting to look promising.

Speaking of which, I have been scouring the S&T forum looking for a good summary of the strategic tenancies of the various AI Civs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's in the sticky. :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062

This one really is a most educational and habituating challenge. After this challenge and studying FeiLing's legendary 41t Bismark v Egypt duel, I have started developing a new approach to short conquests:

1) Settle on a gold/silver/gems hill.

2) Research mining, sell resource to the AI and buy a warrior/archer. Since I get one free, can always build one in a maximum of 30 turns, and I can buy one, the worse case I face is flipping 2 barbarian camps to get 5 units in less than 40 turns.
You don't have to wait for Mining, you can start selling gpt immediately. On marathon this is especially wicked due to relatively lower units purchasing costs.

3) Lure defenders away from their capital(s). I'm still working on this one, although bribed AI DoWs is starting to look promising.
It's not as much about luring them out from capitals as forcing into unfavorable position using flanking, ZOC and terrain while staying out of cities range and avoiding being shot.

It's in the sticky. :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062

You don't have to wait for Mining, you can start selling gpt immediately. On marathon this is especially wicked due to relatively lower units purchasing costs.

It's not as much about luring them out from capitals as forcing into unfavorable position using flanking, ZOC and terrain while staying out of cities range and avoiding being shot.

Nice spreadsheet!!!! I'll be up all night studying that and Understanding the Zone Of Control from the War Academy! I'll experiment with GPT vs LS for the resources too.

Edit: If I read the spreadsheet correctly, I should be playing my early conquests against Elizabeth or Napoleon.
Spoiler :
[/IMG]

elizabeth's ocean start bias can be a hindrance.

I played (and lost) one where I disabled the start bias, and she was several tiles inland. She had at least three scouts, but only three warriors and one archer. If she had been closer, and I had had better barb luck, I could have won.

Top Bottom