First time builder

guy07

Chieftain
Hi i just wanted to say thanks in advance. A couple months ago i ruined my laptop and i now have to use my old pc, but i cant play civ v on it. So my question is can anyone out there help me build my own pc? I'm looking for an 8 out of 10 pc. Thanks.

We would need to know a couple of things beforehand ... :)

For what are you using your computer, besides CiV?
What's your display resolution?
You are plannning to assemble the PC yourself, so no pre-build system?
Are you planning to overclock the system?
Do you have a preferred online shop/in which country so you live?

1) just your basic use
2) im going to use my tv
3) yes im going to try an put it together myself
4) i dont think so
5) i usually get things from amazon, U.S. California,

So CiV will be your only performance critical application? Then you would probably want a fast CPU and a nVidia GPU. Using a "8 out of 10" guideline for those parts, and using no-frills basic but functional stuff for everything else, you would come up with a list like the one in the attachment. Those are all "Ships from and sold by amazon.com" parts.

The PSU is overkill for that selection, but compared to this one nothing in the 400-450W range (which would be about what you would need) appears to make much sense.

Attachments

• shopping_list.jpg
    shopping_list.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 81
Thanks again tokala. I have another question what's the difference between a pc3 10600 and a pc3 12800,Can they both work with the motherboard I'm getting?

DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) will provide a slightly higher memory bandwidth (+20%).
Unfortunately this has almost no effect in real life applications, as the fast and big caches of the CPU will buffer most memory access. Performance gains will be between 0 and 1%, in most cases closer to 0%.

It will most likely work in this board, although the memory controller of the processor officially only supports DDR3-1333. So there is a slight possibility that DDR3-1600 modules will work only when set to DDR3-1333 speeds.

Top Bottom