Civ 5 Mac; Menus dont load or display in game

bnaud

Chieftain
I have installed Civ 5 on my macbook pro with the CD, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, and uninstalling then downloading from Steam for installation. The startup video plays with the old man and everything, but when this finishes and I am in the game, the Menu is there but I am not able to read anything on it. I can select the choices (with no idea what they are or what i'm choosing) and can eventually get to the game, but even here the display doesn't show up. Why is this happening??

I have the newest macbook pro with 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache and 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory.
320GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive.

Please help.

You don't mention it, but if it's the lowest end of the new MacBook Pro line, then you've got an Intel HD 3000 graphics chip in there. That GPU is not supported for Civ V Mac. We're aware of the issue, and development is looking into possible fixes. For now, it's safe to assume that the game will work on that GPU.

I'm right there with you. Just got a new MacBook Pro 13", and although I did NOT get the bottom of the line (2.7 GHz, i7, 4GB memory) it does have the now infamous Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. I was very excited to load up the new Civ V for Mac and figured, as mentioned elsewhere, that because my card was newer than some of the other cards that meet the sys recs, I would be ok. AspyrRyan, are you saying that there is no workaround for this at the moment? So my $45 bought me a nice coaster with the Civ V logo? What's the ETA on a possible fix?

I just bought a new MCP 13 2.3 this week... and have Civ5 installed... I get the black screen with no visible menus and the music playing in the background...

please update with info when there is a fix!!!

I get the same thing. This is crazy considering it runs, all be it at 1 frame a second, on my girlfriends 3 year old macbook 13".

sigh. Good thing I have a PC too

The same thing happened on my MBP. There was an ini file that had to modify for the resolution. For the life of me, I can't remember which. I was then able to use Civ V options to change the resolution to the max available for the machine I was using.

Top Bottom