Webshops for Civilization V - List by country

Apparently The Special Edition is not available in brick-and-mortar Electronics Boutique stores only from the website (gamestop.ca) ....sigh, I have to go to EB and get my deposit back :(

I pre-ordered the standard edition a month ago because they said I could upgrade the pre-order when the SE became available. :mad:

I'm a little confused about how buying Steamworks games work on D2D. Does anyone have experience with it?

My main concern is if, in the long run, it's essentially the same as if I had bought it on Steam in the first place, meaning:
1) It'll be in my Steam library, so I can download it whenever and wherever I want.
2) If Civ V ever becomes a SteamPlay game, I will also be able to play it on Mac OS X without having to purchase anything again.

I'm a little confused about how it works. Do I just get an activation key, as if I had bought a hardcopy but sans all the physical media? Will I be able to pre-download on Sept. 21?

I've bought tons of games on Steam, and I have never used D2D. Personally, I'd rather keep my eggs in one basket, since it's less confusing and disorganized that way, but I'm interested in saving money on the upcoming DLC. Will the DLC rebate also function as if I had actually bought it through Steam?

I'm a little confused about how buying Steamworks games work on D2D. Does anyone have experience with it?

My main concern is if, in the long run, it's essentially the same as if I had bought it on Steam in the first place, meaning:
1) It'll be in my Steam library, so I can download it whenever and wherever I want.
2) If Civ V ever becomes a SteamPlay game, I will also be able to play it on Mac OS X without having to purchase anything again.

I'm a little confused about how it works. Do I just get an activation key, as if I had bought a hardcopy but sans all the physical media? Will I be able to pre-download on Sept. 21?

I've bought tons of games on Steam, and I have never used D2D. Personally, I'd rather keep my eggs in one basket, since it's less confusing and disorganized that way, but I'm interested in saving money on the upcoming DLC. Will the DLC rebate also function as if I had actually bought it through Steam?
1) That's is an easy one: Yes, it'll be in your steam library just as if you bought it from steam. You can download and play whenever etc.
2) While a Mac version has been suggested for the future, it's not confirmed that it'll be for free. That's what Valve does, but it's under 2K's control whether or not to give the Mac version for free with the Windows version.
3) From D2D you get an access code and you can download it from Steam just as if you bought a DVD without the DVD. It's not confirmed when D2D will send you this code, so it's not known if you can preload.
4) For the free DLC pack, you most likely get the access code e-mailed to you if and when it becomes available and then you can enter it into Steam to download.

D2D has the code PAX for $5 off, not as good as schoolsucks $10 off (should update 1st post as it's expired), but better than nothing. i don't see another $10 coupon coming before Civ5 is released so might as well use this code while we can.

Another that's not good in the UK. Why don't we get voucher codes? :dunno:

Relax. D2D doesn't sell Civ 5 at Russia at all. So no free DLC bonus for us.

Thanks for the overview :)

And wierd that D2D has so different prices - 50 euro (63 dollars) or 30 pounds (46 dollars) for the same version.

Well, I guess I'll preorder from the british site instead of the european, as a lot of european countries is accepted on the british site. Strange...

Thanks for the overview :)

And wierd that D2D has so different prices - 50 euro (63 dollars) or 30 pounds (46 dollars) for the same version.

Well, I guess I'll preorder from the british site instead of the european, as a lot of european countries is accepted on the british site. Strange...
The on-line shops are charging the suggested retail price in the respective countries. The UK market apparently is very competitive for games, so Civ5 is priced around GBP 25 in most retail (web)shops from a suggested price of GBP 30. Across Europe the retail price is 50 euro, and many shops have pricing around EUR 45, although there are a few (like BOL) that charge 50. On the US site of D2D the price is 50 USD, which is very much in line with the 50 USD charged by most (web)shops.

If as a consumer you can buy in a different market, you can often get it for a cheaper price. Some download stores use IP filtering to prevent this. Steam generally prevents people from outside US to buy for the US price. I've bought various games from play or cdwow and gotten the best available price world-wide. Civ5 I'll probably get from BOL anyway, even though they have the highest price on the continent, because I've got some free coupons for them.

Another cheap price from an Australian store - http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/sid-meiers-civilization-v-5-game-pc $39.99AU pre-order (postage free for AUS/NZ).

At first that price sounded way too good to be true. On further investigation, ozgamesshop is apparently distributing to Australia and NZ but stationed in the UK and there is operating as 365games. From what I can see of comments in forums of both company names, feedback is positive - but they are fairly new players on the market.

Another cheap price from an Australian store - http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/sid-meiers-civilization-v-5-game-pc $39.99AU pre-order (postage free for AUS/NZ).

At first that price sounded way too good to be true. On further investigation, ozgamesshop is apparently distributing to Australia and NZ but stationed in the UK and there is operating as 365games. From what I can see of comments in forums of both company names, feedback is positive - but they are fairly new players on the market.
Good catch. AUD 39.99 is an extremely good price for people who are prepared to wait a week for shipping.

Added 365games.co.uk too. They're the cheapest pre-order in UK and the only one below GBP 23.

Finally :) I trust this is the international DVD version? No Russification?

It's IP-restricted version with russification, but I believe it will allow otherlanguages too.
Anyway, 1C didn't confirm the digital version and igromaz is the only shop selling it, so I'd not trust them here yet.

Went to EB Games yesterday here in Australia to pre-order the special edition... they said they'd sold out :-(

I asked if that was across all stores and they said yes. Not even out till the 24th and they're sold out already? Guess that's what happens when the special edition is limited to one store only.

So looks like i'm just gonna have to settle for the standard edition. I was looking forward to the Art Book and Making Of DVD, too :-(

I'm just gonna go cry over in the corner now... :p

With the sys requirements and steam FAQ in the technical subforum, we now had some more space here, and i saw this thread during the big thread movement and thought it's one of the most worthy ones.

-------
If i had not seen it, you should have PMed a mod or reported the thread, so that we get a notice about it. With the indredibly increasing activity we can't watch everything and have to rely on the senior users around, that they also think about what is best for the forum.

Oh, when (if) the forum get's split up, then there'll be a bit more place at the top ;).
Actually you had already indicated the possibility on 12 August, so it's nice to see you had the same feeling now you actually split the forum ;-)

Hi, I am from the Czech Republic and I was thinking about ordering Special Edition of CivV, but is it even possible that the shop mentioned on this site offers Special Edition just around 4 EUR more expensive than normal edition? Shop offers it for 1119,- CZK, this is 45 EUR. I am afraid to order it and pay for it because the price is unbeliavable low.

Top Bottom