How to Add/Use These New Units

Macarov said:
For me, everything worked fine and i am able to use all these units in the game..I still have one little problem..There is still some units that are not included in Zulu9812's (or whatever the numbers are :p , just kidding) units-32.pcx files. For those units, the creater often supplies a small pcx file containing only this unit..it's name always looks like this: "theunitsname_units_32.pcx" and its size is always 2 Kb. My question is: how to use this file?
The little units32.pcx pics that often come with units are ment to be pasted into an empty slot in your big units32.pcx pic

You need a graphics program that can open and save .pcx format (MS paint can't do that) so if you're not lucky enough to have PSP there should be free progs out there that can do the job (I'm told that GIMP can do it - or you could try poking around freeware.com for a prog that can do it)

The big units32 that you paste the small units32 into depends on what version of Civ3 you have and whether or not you have made a scenario for the extra downloaded units. Civ3 Vanilla is Art/units. PTW is PTW/art/units. Conquests is Conquests/art/units. If you have made a scenario for your downloaded units then the units32 to edit is the one in your scenarios/YourScenario/art/units folder (assuming you already copied one there :) )

Once you've pasted the small units32 into the big one you can set what units32 pic a particular unit uses in-game in Civ3Edit.

Say I want to replace a standard unit with a custom made unit, but without creating a new scenario, how would I go about this? Bear in mind that I only want to replace the appearance of the unit, not any of the stats. But I do want to be able to have these changes in any standard game I play.

Hey peoples. Ah im having a slight problem when im adding units...I have Civ 3 complete. Ive done things correctly i think cos i can use the unit (just used debug mode). But when i build a city, and the unit/building/wonder list comes up, the game just crashes... Can anyone help?????

(sorry pretty much the same question as DaveyDave- but no one has put an answer on here :( )

Wait, can you only add so many additional units to the game? My units32 file only has a handful of open slots available...

Level said:
Just make the units32 file bigger (taller by increments of the height of the icon) or get the one by zulu9812.

Aye, that's what I ended up doing. I just grabbed Zulu's and added the ones that I needed into the blank spaces.

I need to install the new units in to a obsolete version of civ3 how would i do this? Pleaseee Help me!

Help! i have a obsolete version of civ3 version 1.07f do i have to upgrade the version or is there a way to get the new units in civ3 v1.07f? :sad:

Moderator Action: You can use the edit button to add something to your post.

well i'm new here and registered for the sole purpose of trying to get some help.

I, like many of the people here am having a problem.

i've followed all the steps from the tutorials on how to add units and i get so far as to get into the game, shift+f1 to place the unit, that all works fine.

the problem comes afterwards, as soon as i build a city, boom, game crashes, no warning just crashes.

i've tried taking out the entry i put in and completely removing the files from the civ folder but this didnt help and even if i play the game on normal [non-scenario], it still crashes.

i dont get it, what am i doing wrong?

i've noticed there are a few people with the same issue here as me and they've all gone unanswered... i have faith tho that someone will be able to help me, aswell as the others out, c'mon guys someone here has to have had this problem and hopefully have a solution...

anyone care to try and help?

//EDIT: I've just discovered that the only way for me to get this working again is to reinstall conquests... what a hastle...

//EDIT2: Well, after many hours of mulling over the posts on this forum [holy hell you guys have quite the archive] i finally figured out what the problem was. the issue at hand was the fact that i was saving the pcx files through adobe imageready and they were not 256 colors. for anyone with this issue, i suggest downloading paint shop pro and redoing your units_32 file so it's in proper format.

dam thing keeps saying something about ini when I try to load . I used the guide but it didn't seem to answer the question. I don't even know what or where an ini is. also what does this mean when he says "Now download and unzip or move ALL the files of this new unit into this new folder"
What do I download and from where? Where do these files come from? Where do I get the files of the new unit when it is just created?

I know the downloading part. He means when you get it of the net (here or somwhere else).

It is like this:
the folders Art/Units/Spearman/Spearmanattack.flic, spearmendeath.flic, and all the moves he makes ie. fortify. In the Spearman folder (were spearmen is the unit you are adding), there is a text file, (for spearman it would be spearmen.ini. That is were the ini is. It has to have the exactly same name as the folder. So folder name =spearman, so ini file must be named spearman. And then, in the editor, you add or rename a unit, again exactly spearman and then save. In that scenario you now will have a spearman.
The ini tells what files to use for each acton and sound for each action.

Ok all I know is this go to the editor create a unit rename it etc. Go to art and create a folder name superwarrior(my unit). Then I am lost.

Hi there,

Long timeplayer, first time modder. I downlaoded a bunch of new units for this scenario I;m trying to build for Conquests. I followed the instructions in the guide written by Colonel Kraken. However, when I tried to start the mod, I get the following message: Error Reading File, Missing Entry in text "text\Pedialcons.txt" ANIMENAME_PRTO_Knight_of_Anubis

I downloaded the Knight of Anubis file, and the relevant entry is in the ANIMENAME section of the Pedialcon file, as well as the ICON section. Is there something I am missing?

i don't want to download units just modify the one already in there

my question is if you want the unit to be wheel and ranged animation how do you get both of the highlighted without highlighting all the rest???

i need help!!!!

If you want a unit to be wheeled and have ranged animation, click on them both while holding down Ctrl.

Bump means to revive an old thread... do not do that here... most people get mad when you do.

Yeah, but I'm talking about those hooligans who bump 3 year old PTW mod threads just to say 'its great!'

:)

i have civ 3 gold, and i have been trying to add a few units to my scenerio, but it just doesnt quite work out for me, i get to the point where i can build them and the game crashes with a missing entry error (Pediaicons.txt: animename_)

could someone point me in the right direction

I don't remember if this has been covered yet.. but when i went to civ3.com to try to load that version 1.29f patch it wasn't there. what should i do??

juggalostatix said:
i have civ 3 gold, and i have been trying to add a few units to my scenerio, but it just doesnt quite work out for me, i get to the point where i can build them and the game crashes with a missing entry error (Pediaicons.txt: animename_)

could someone point me in the right direction

Moderator Action: I've moved your question to the main C&C forum. Please use that thread for help.

Have Prob' , need some help.
Civ3,PTW v1.27f
Trying to add units. Have used approprite tutorials from threads. ( I find the tutorials neither clear nor concise. Often missing info' such as the compleat file path.) When I have fallowed all the steps and double checked my work this is what happens;
any time I try to go to the city view screen the game crashes. No error messages.

All other mod's I have tried, such as terain and border changes, have worked.

To fear Death is to fear living

Top Bottom