D&D 3.5 Play-by-post: discussion (and possibly recruitment)

...And there's the problem: I was about to comment on the wizard's age (before I even read his ability scores). Middle aged? He must suck to only be at level 4 in his mid-30s. :lol:

I'd prefer if characters stick to adult age.

I have to say I prefer HeroForge, because it includes the rules, so to speak. It only lets you level up if you have enough experience; it will tell you if you've chosen one feat too many or too many skills... And it has stats for every class, PrC, weapon, armour, shield, and almost every magic item.

Haha, but the save files are half a meg in size so you can just e-mail them around. Plus, it has AMAZING facilities for me to add in on-the-fly bonuses and buffs and shiz and not have to calculate their effects.

I'll stick with HeroForge, thank you very much. :p

(And one more point: I don't want my PCs to see each other's character sheets. Ever. If you want to know something about another PC, ask him. In character. You can't tell that your ally has a Wisdom of 14 simply by looking at him; neither can you ask him "You, sir, may I kindly ask your Wisdom score?" You can, however, infer this kind of thing from watching how he acts. Furthermore, if one of you is wearing a magic cloak, the others aren't necessarily going to know it unless you tell them; this is also important because that character may, at any point in the game, want to run away/betray the party/hide from them etc etc, and it would be to his advantage to be the only one to know of his cloak of elvenkind.)

EDIT: You probably read that in the DMG somewhere, I figure. Anyway, I would argue that "heroes" are born, so you wouldn't live out 40 years of your life as a level 2 commoner and then suddenly one day take a level in barbarian and tear orcs apart with your bare hands.

So you don't trust your players?
Some of them haven't played before. :) (And I'm sensing some slight powergaming/metagaming tendencies, though it may just be RF interference messing with my scanners.)
That is a totally plausible backstory. I myself hate young heroes (I'm looking at you, teenager-demographic-wanking stories).
:lol: Guessing you're not an anime fan then.
Anyway, an adventurer who was out adventuring for a year would be of a higher level than a wizard who's just been reading books for the past 20.
True that, but PC wizards are assumed to be adventuring types just as PC fighters are assumed to be the same. You're comparing adventuring to non-adventuring here, not fighter to wizard.

Besides, as the PHB states on page 109, a human (for instance) fighter would reach level 1 around 16-21, whereas a human wizard would reach level 1 only at 17-27.

...Actually, cancel what I said before: a (only barely) middle-aged level 4 PC who started as a level 1 cleric, druid, monk, or wizard is fine. Not the other classes though.

I notice that Seons character is very similar to legolas :hmm:
I didn't ask for a bow :p

But it's still nice

AND where the HECK did you find out that I carried a bow!!!!

True that, but PC wizards are assumed to be adventuring types just as PC fighters are assumed to be the same. You're comparing adventuring to non-adventuring here, not fighter to wizard.

Isn't that rather the R.P restriction? I object to that.

I'm DMing a narrative. If your idea of an entertaining, fun narrative is one where you RP everyday conversations and going to the bathroom, then you're playing the wrong game. I plan to make this cinematic.

Of course it's an RP restriction, but then the whole concept of a "Player Character" as opposed to a "Non-Player Character" is also an RP restriction.

I'm DMing a narrative. If your idea of an entertaining, fun narrative is one where you RP everyday conversations and going to the bathroom, then you're playing the wrong game. I plan to make this cinematic.

Of course it's an RP restriction, but then the whole concept of a "Player Character" as opposed to a "Non-Player Character" is also an RP restriction.

I agree we should focus on the interesting bits of a character's life, and by convention people try to play characters which aren't boring. However, I am not willing to abide by R.P restrictions when creating a non-cardboard character.

The concept of a PC v.s an NPC is NOT an R.P restriction- theoretically at least, any character whatsoever could be a PC or an NPC. Therefore, I give you the same threat I gave flyingchicken- desist or I make a cardboard character.

No. You make a real character, like everyone else is doing, or find yourself another game to play.

Then don't play, you quitter. :p

HEY EVERYBODY NEVERWONAGAME3 IS A MASSIVE QUITTER JUST CHECK OUT THE NES FORUMS IF YOU WANT PROOFS

BTW, that "threat" didn't work, nor did you decide to back it up with action.

edit: crosspost :lol:

Stop being an idiot- as you admit, you just posted a bit early. I'm quitting now.

It's also worth pointing out, CAPSLOCKING TO GET ATTENTION, that what I do in NESes and what I've done here are two very different things- one is quitting when I'm losing (which I'm growing out of), and the other is quitting because of unreasonable R.P restrictions.

Moderator Action: Flaming
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Wow. That was actually surprising.

One spot open in my game, folks. I'm going to change the admission requirements: out of the next three character descriptions I receive, the one with the highest capacity to heal others is getting the spot.

Seriously, a party of two fighters, a rogue and a warlock will have nothing but trouble. :lol:

Trouble is good Henrebotha. AS long as we don't have ailiens in our party, that is.

Hypothetically, anything by WotC, but ask me first if it's not from the corebooks.

I'm extremely new to D&D but should anyone be interested in showing me the ropes I'd love to get involved

Well, since my group is still lacking a healer: would you be interested in playing one?

No. I have no interest in playing games with children.

Top Bottom