where will my units be moved to when I DOW?

PattonTwo

Warlord
I've spent about a half hour searching for the answer to this so apologies as I'm sure it's been asked/answered.

I currently have open borders with a civ on a different island than me. I have units on their island. A few of my units are in neutral territory and many more are inside their borders. I'm trying to figure out where my units inside their borders will be moved to if I DOW.

My units inside their borders are 2-3 spaces away from the neutral territory. I have no territory of my own on this island. The nearest neutral territory off this island is 8 spaces away (4-5 water spaces in there) and my nearest territory is 9 spaces away (again 4-5 water spaces included).

Is there any chance my units are moved off this island? I'm assuming they would be moved the 2-3 spaces to neutral territory.
If it matters I'm playing vanilla not BTS.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answer!

You could test the situation by saving the game, DOW and seeing where your units end up. Then reloading the game playing like normal. Though some players may consider that as cheating.

You shouldn't DoW when you are the target's territory. Move to a tactically advantageous location and DoW afterwards. If it is an emergency or you forgot to DoW and you need to attack before your rival gets some military tech, then you can close borders before the DoW and see where your units end up.

I DoW all the time with a unit in enemy territory. That unit is usually next to their SOD so I know where it is when I DoW. Why waste the movement point to move out of his territory when the DoW will move you out and still leave you with those movement points? (unless you're going to be teleported to a spot you don't want to be. )

A single scout unit being next to the enemy SoD is probably not the situation we are talking about here. The loss of such a unit is inconsequential. I think that we are talking about multiple offensive units in the target's territory. In that case, you are better off wasting a couple movements to tactically position your units instead of chancing their loss or auto-redirection to a terrible location. In my earlier CIV days, I've made this mistake and gotten my units relocated behind another civ I didn't have open borders with because my target's borders pressed up against theirs.

I know the OP of this thread never mentioned it, but the reverse is just as important. When your enemy has a stack or mini SoD in your territory where will those units be moved. In my current game I was preparing to DoW on Darius for his espionage against me but had to wait till I knew where his stack of units would be moved, and I had units of my own in position to deal with his forces.

Top Bottom