Nuclear Missiles don't destroy city based fighters?

gunslinger6792

Warlord
I went to war with japan and first off i couldn't see their fighter or bomber based squadrons in their city. in every other game i've played you may not be able to see their units in the fog of war but if a city has fighters,bomber, or nukes you see a number. this worked until i got to the information age and then that info vanished. i had to send in spies to see where their fighters where. once i knew where they where i launched nukes. the nukes took out half the cities health as usual. however the nukes did not destroy the cities aircraft. is this a glitch or something new? it was a none to pleasant surprise when my nuclear per-emptive strike failed to take out japans 20 air units.

You are right about the weakened effect of nuclear missiles on aircraft.

I just finished a G&K game after having launched a nuclear missile at three different enemy cities, and noticed that the number of aircraft stationed in those cities did not decrease like I was used to in vanilla Civ-5.

Cities seem to have more defense ability in G&K, so maybe we now need to drop an additional weapon (atomic bomb or nuclear missile) to wipe out stationed aircraft.

Has anyone been able yet to multiple nuke a city in G&K to see if that wipes out any stationed aircraft?

You are right about the weakened effect of nuclear missiles on aircraft.

I just finished a G&K game after having launched a nuclear missile at three different enemy cities, and noticed that the number of aircraft stationed in those cities did not decrease like I was used to in vanilla Civ-5.

Cities seem to have more defense ability in G&K, so maybe we now need to drop an additional weapon (atomic bomb or nuclear missile) to wipe out stationed aircraft.

Has anyone been able yet to multiple nuke a city in G&K to see if that wipes out any stationed aircraft?

I have.

I nuked 2 cities in a multiplayer game destroying multiple bombers in each.

Not sure if its just in multiplayer though.

AFAIK there have been no changes to Nuclear Missiles, so all units within their radius should be destroyed. Though it should destroy the units either way, were you targeting the city tile itself or an adjacent tile? Do you have a screenshot or save demonstrating this?

Moderator Action: Moved to Bug Reports.

I was targetting the city tile directly and for one of the cities it did take out all their aircraft but for the other 3 it did not. As for a save i do i have save in the game however i can't seem to find the save in my game files on desktop. As soon as i can figure out how to get my save to show up in the games folder i will upload it.

i also have pre steam workshop mods installed which now thinking about may make it impossible for the save to be used by anyone other than me. I can say though that i played an earlier game the day before with the same mods involved used, nukes and they worked as they're supposed to.

Attachments

• QuickSave.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Here is my saved game file from just before I ended the game with a science victory. (I think this was a few turns after I launched my nuclear missiles.)

I targeted three German cities dead on with one nuclear missile each. Two of the cities had aircraft stationed in them prior to my attack (not sure about the third city), and those two cities showed they still had aircraft stationed in them immediately after the missiles hit.

At least each city's populations got decimated. Not sure about the buildings, though, as I did not write down what my spies saw in one of the cities just before the attack, so when my spy survived the nuclear missile attack I wasn't able to compare the before and after results very well.

Hmm - would my spy have been able to tell whether those aircraft were damaged by my missiles?

Attachments

• AutoSave_0428 AD-2008.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Same situation here, except its with an atomic bomb

Me thinks those cities have Bomb Shelters (notice the -1 pop decrease instead of -2), but I'm not entirely certain.

Spoiler :

Same situation here, except its with an atomic bomb

Me thinks those cities have Bomb Shelters (notice the -1 pop decrease instead of -2), but I'm not entirely certain.

Spoiler :

that could be possible but when i launched my nuclear strike i had a massive tech lead no one should have been able to construct bomb shelters yet.

I tested it a bit more - even struck my own city with 32 stealth bombers innit (and bomb shelter) with a nuclear missile. The stacks survived.

Bomb Shelters do indeed protect your aircraft/missile stacks against a nuclear strike.

I have a similar problem. I'm in a BNW multiplayer hotseat game (information era start) and i nuke a city that have 6 planes in it (2 jets and 4 stealth bombers).
The spy does not report any bomb shelter.
I nuke city center with a nuclear missile. After the nuke is consumed the spy still report the aircraft there and the population goes from 8 to 3. I know that all units are dead if a nuclear missile hit them, the exception is when bomb shelters are present i think, not sure. But city have no bomb shelters.

I play Civilization V BNW.

Is this a bug?

Don't just say “nuke” but be clear: atom bomb or nuclear missile? The missile should indeed clear out all units stacked in the city if there is no bomb shelter. Atom bomb is much less lethal and results are highly variable.

I said I nuke city center with a nuclear missile.

The game is an information era start game. I had to lunch two nuclear missiles to destroy the city and with it the bombers.

I also tested this in single player and seems that planes in city survive. Maybe this is the way nuclear missile works. They don't kill planes.

I tested it a bit more - even struck my own city with 32 stealth bombers innit (and bomb shelter) with a nuclear missile. The stacks survived.

What are you playing? The stack limit in BNW is 6 air units, 10 with airport. That could also account for the different experience.

Maybe this is the way nuclear missile works. They don't kill planes.

Hmm, I have killed plenty of air stacks with nuclear missiles, but to my recollection that has always been atom bombs/fighters/bombers and not jets/stealth bombers.

Nuclear missiles taking cities off the map is fun, but always a surprise to me. The AIs like to build their cities too close to each other, and (unlike atom bombs) nuclear missiles do as much damage at 2 hex range to cities (and units) as when centered on target. One game I hit three cities with one nuclear missile.

Vanilla didn't have the aircraft stack limits that BNW does.

Top Bottom