So how did you get into Civilization?

Zorro 695

Chieftain
For myself it was in 1996. I had just bought myself a computer (good old Windows 95) for university use. After a few months I wondered if there were any games this machine could play. Solitaire and FreeCell were getting to be a bore.
Most of the available games seemed to involve First Player Shoot-Em-Ups and Platform games.

"Have you got anything that involves strategy?" I asked. I was, and still am, very good at the strategy board game Diplomacy - came third in a State-wide tournament playing France.

The salesman at our local computer games store was very helpful. "Well, there's this game called Civilization. It's very popular."

I came away with Civilization II. Within days I was hooked. Within weeks I was addicted. 'One ... More ... Turn.'

Sid Meier has a lot to answer for! :D

In 2013 I had got my first computer (I'm 11) and was browsing through steam demos and got the civ V one. Within five minutes I had spent allmy pocket money on it (well it seemed like five minutes :D)

You play diplomacy? Big fan of it myself. Anyways, I discovered civ right here with civ 5. I find myself mainly playing strategy games as well, but only when I found civ 5 did I make the transition from board games to the pc. I just happened to notice it on a sale one day, that's all there is to it.

Yea, it was the `90s (maybe late `80-s) for me too, but I can`t remeber exactly when... A lot was happening at the time. I think I started on the Amiga, but definitely went on to PC.

I loved the idea of ruling an Empire and learning how the world basically worked. Games in those days tried to entertain as well as educate so a lot of stuff about inventions actually made historical sense and you could actually learn something - Unlike today with giant death robots and Xcom units.

It had great little touches like your army actually marching through a town you had defeated and their look changed to the technology - how I`d love to see an update of that!

It`s very interesting to note that you actually had Stalin in the game. I always found him exciting to play against, especially since the Soviet union was only just ending at the time.

Even though graphics are better, the game technically isn`t- and it`s almost too easy now. Also education has taken a big step back which is sad.

Good days when a game you bought wasn`t tied to Steam- It was YOURS to play anywhere any when. But Capitalism has really taken a hold since then and it`s all about tying people to accounts to make more money than sin.

My first play-thru was Civ II. My father bought it when I was 10 and played it maybe once or twice. I watched him and when I was allowed to use the computer I played it. I have bought every version since.

My cousin introduced it to me in the summer of 1993. I was visiting my aunt, and he was holed up in his room. She said no one had seen in in 2 days. She asked me to go and get him. That's when he introduced me to Civ I. Yea, they had to send in a search party after the both of us. My life has never been the same. I am glad that my wife understands my video gaming habits, as will my kids when they grow up. It's just part of life nowadays.

I overheard a guy complaining that he spends too much time playing Civilization and wasn't getting his school work done, back when I was a student.

So I thought that sounded like it must be a pretty good game, if he likes it that much!

In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid decision I made to try out the game, in light of what he said.

I started on Civ III (which was, in retrospect, the worst game to start on). My twin brother and I have always loved computer games, so Best Buy and the gaming section of Walmart were our favorite places to browse. He noticed the game when we were about six or seven, and we both agreed on it, so we bought it together.

We loved it, even though we were both absolutely terrible, and the game really wasn't that great, especially because we didn't know about Conquests and PtW. We started showing it to our friends and babysitters, most of whom really enjoyed it as well. After Civ III, we got SMAC (and then Alien Crossfire once we found a copy that wasn't horrendously expensive), which I think was actually the game that really sold us on the series, because we actually cared enough about the game to try and win it seriously.

Since then, we've both played all five major games in the series through emulators, although I have a feeling that they don't do Civs I and II justice, because something seemed a little hollow about it. Maybe it was just before my time, I dunno. IV used to be my favorite even after G&K, but I've been playing V much more often since BNW.

I came across it by chance a few years ago. I'm on a Mac and I was browsing the Apple Store and saw the game (the vanilla version of Civ V). It looked interesting, and I googled it and it had great reviews. So I ended up buying it (plus all the DLCs that were available).

I enjoy the game, so when G&K and BNW came out, I grabbed those as well.

My cousin introduced it to me in the summer of 1993. I was visiting my aunt, and he was holed up in his room. She said no one had seen in in 2 days. She asked me to go and get him. That's when he introduced me to Civ I. Yea, they had to send in a search party after the both of us. My life has never been the same. I am glad that my wife understands my video gaming habits, as will my kids when they grow up. It's just part of life nowadays.

My story is similar, except it was the Summer of '92. I was visiting my cousin in Boston and he had it on his computer and showed it to me. I went home and bought it immediately. I loved exploring and uncovering the world. I was such a noob that I refused to build any buildings in my 1 city because I didn't want to incur the maintenance costs. It was a few months before I realized that if I built a Marketplace and subsequent "gold" buildings, then my income would grow and I could build more buildings. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't understand my gaming habits, but hopefully I can enrich my daughter's life with "One more turn . . . "

Played the first game back in the days. Liked it. Forgot about it.

As an adult I wanted to play something adult and somewhat calm. Remembered this turned based wonderful game and googled it. Found Civ V and fell in love. One of the best games ever made and I keep play and enjoy it.

I got Civ IV the complete edition back in 2008 or 2009. Never really understood it. In 2011, I saw some CiV videos on youtube. Then I bought the game and got into it. I still don't understand Civ IV that well.

Civ II in the 90s. I spent way too much time because of the one more turn thing. The Carthaginians were my worst enemies back then.

I was looking at good games at the time and heard really good things about Civ V from IGN and Gamespot. So I looked it up on Youtube to see what it was about and I thought I'd really enjoy it. Then I bought it, and every dlc soon after.

Considering I had played game like AoE when I was young, I checked on our family IPad if there was a similar game in the strategy category and I found CIV Rev. After that I saw an announcement for CIV 5 so I checked it out :D

I started in on Civ III as well. My dad had a struggling renter that was out of work and couldn't pay the rent, the renter spent a lot of time at home playing video games and offered my dad civilization III to shave some off his rent. Dad accepted and we've been playing it ever since. My family has been stuck on IV for a long time but I recently bought the family V for my dad's birthday. There are about 4 regular players in my family and I just got the last 2 transitioned to civ V. Crossing my fingers they are good enough to play multiplayer with soon as I am getting tired of single player games but don't fancy a random potluck on steam--especially not with the trade-rape bug so prolific. I like to play with players I know and trust to not just quit, cheat, or be babies when they start losing.

A long time ago I was playing a new game from some guy named Sid Meier called Railroad Tycoon. Then I went to the computer store and they had a new game by the this guy called Civilization. Nobody had played it yet, but we all agreed it looked pretty cool, so I got it to try it out. And over 20 years later, there I was last night playing just one more turn.

Original Civilization I on the Amiga back in the early 90s. Bought a pc and my first software purchase for it was a Sid Meier pack which contained Civ 1, Colonization, Pirates and Railroad Tycoon. Bought Civ 2 when it first came out and since then have bought every iteration of the game available on pc on the day of release.

Top Bottom