Best Map For 14 Civ PBEM Game

Petrodollaz

Chieftain
I know...this is going to take years. I admit the invites got out of hand, but I'm going to do my best to make it work. Which map size and script do you guys recommend? I'm playing with experienced and new players, so there's a variety of skill levels. Thanks.

Make sure there's a equal land + resource distribution.
Example :
I play Hemispheres, 6 main continents, 12 players, low sea level, massive landmass, huge map
With less continents you risk the creation of a monstrous civ.
Shaka with 90 cities at another continent isn't fun anymore.
I had also to throw away a game where Julius Caesar had already 50 cities close to Astronomy.
The competition was dead, because the handful of civs which survived the barbarians had 30 or less cities.

I tend to use my not_too_big_or_small script for every game (which is why it's included in K-Mod). But the real strength of that script is its variety between games; and variety probably isn't particularly important if you're going to play an epic game which lasts for years. Nevertheless, that's probably what I'd try first.

Whatever script you use, I suggest that you generate a few test maps in single player with the settings you want to use, so that you can see if the maps that it makes are suitable before you do the real one.

A "huge" map will probably be big enough, but if the test maps look a bit cramped, then it might be worth tweaking the xml so that you can have a slightly bigger map. (I think the default number of players on Huge is less than 14.)

Default on huge maps is 12. In single player, you and 11 AIs. However, if you do a custom start, you can add two more.

Pfft, my very first PBEM had 18 players.

Anyway welcome to the forums and I'd recommend Hemispheres actually.

Top Bottom