Thank you guys

So after reading Civ Fanatics and a few restarts I can honestly say I owe my two Deity victories to you guys. I started playing Deity from day 1, and only through reading here did I manage to win my games.

I restarted a great many games I could have won probably, but I wanted to experiment with startup to get the hang of early game. My first victory was a Cultural one as Poland. Poland is OP for sure. At end game i had maxed Traditon, Aesthetics, Exploration, Freedom and had started gonig for Patronage because I had nothing else to do. I could have won much sooner but I wanted to fill Broadway in with GMs instead of popping them to take down the biggest cultural civ earlier.

Second victory was a space launch with Catherine. Very standard 4 city tall game but Moscow started tucked in a crescent of mountains, next to a river with 3 gems and marble (on grassland). I wanted to rush nukes but they ended up just basically scaring Wu Zetian from declaring and I launched without a single DoW on me.

I'll try to win an England Archipelago (low sea level ) domination game now. Then probably go for a Pangea Mongols game.

Here are some of the things I've found about Civ 5 Deity:

1. Not all games are winnable
2. Tradition is OP
3. Religion is not worth it on Standard size unless you get lucky or are a faith civ
4. Pre ideology wars generally slow you down and are too terrain dependant, barring some exceptional early war civs and a specific map setup
5. A lot depends on which civs end up as your neighbors

It reminds me, I'll upload a day one of this nightmare archipelago map. Where I was DoWed something like T60.

I wonder if not all games are really winnable.

Lol dude I'm sad now I didn't save the game wher Pedro carpet rushed me with cbows and swords.

All those deity challenges posted on this site (sometimes with crazy rules) proved that all maps (not handbuild in world builder :)) are winnable.
I understand that sometimes you can be by surprised by early rush, but wouldn't you be able defeat your enemy on replay?

4. Pre ideology wars generally slow you down and are too terrain dependant, barring some exceptional early war civs and a specific map setup

Again check those deity challenges you will be suprise how often XBs are all you need to win game (see posts made by good domination players like glory7)

^ I daresay CB upgrade rush is just as effective? But wiping out the continent takes XBs and trebs ideally.

I feel the forums are really nice in the build orders and SP discussions people have, makes me want to experiment around a bit more on deity instead of hardcore tradition. heck I don't even have liberty under my belt.

All those deity challenges posted on this site (sometimes with crazy rules) proved that all maps (not handbuild in world builder :)) are winnable.
I understand that sometimes you can be by surprised by early rush, but wouldn't you be able defeat your enemy on replay?

Sometimes you end up with such poor starting conditions or surrounded by lunatic warmongers while someone runs away on another continent. If you had to play whatever start you got no rerolling you won't be able to win every game on Deity I assure you.

Once I started with Babylon with Attila on my west, Genghis on my east and Harald to the south-west. There was a wonder monger on the other K, and I had one tile of lux and was landlocked. I daresay this one wasn't winnable.

Again check those deity challenges you will be suprise how often XBs are all you need to win game (see posts made by good domination players like glory7)

Yeah I can check them out. I can also check out the thread about clearing your own continent where everyone said it's not the norm to clear your own continent with cbows pre turn 120. Cbow rushing in my experience is very terrain dependant and civ dependant. Cbow rush Alex, his hoplites one shot your cbows. Go for Ghandi, he enters Medieval and rush buys Mughal Forts and upps his horses to knights. Yeah with infinite reloading perhaps you can get some perfect storm of circumstances, but I don't think early war is the answer with anything but Huns, Assyria and the likes.

I daresay this one wasn't winnable.

Well, fact that something is impossible for you doesn't mean it's impossible for all people on this forum. :)

So next time when you get this 'impossible' start you should post your starting save here (only make sure you have unchecked those scrambled map packs if you have it).

On Deity I once spawned next to Zulus and an especially bloodthirsty Assyria.

I was warred endlessly by both - honestly, you have no idea what a runaway Zulu will produce in impies.

I was friends with him and gave him three luxes to war someone else. Still, he turned around ~3 turns later to war me.

Meanwhile, russia in the background won space victory on turn *134*. Quick speed.

I am quite convinced that game was unwinnable.

And I can honestly say Deity games are usually cake walks for me.

Meanwhile, russia in the background won space victory on turn *134*. Quick speed.

134T on quick is about 200T on standard.

Sorry but I hardly believe that it could happend. Do you have save from this game?

Most are, but some are not. Playing a small continents high seas map, having maybe a 4 decent city island. Having the Mongols in the same landmass, and quick settling basically every location (Deity AI has no problem with settler spam). Then you get rushed by a bunch of archers and warriors, before comp bow tech. (I rushed it as soon as I met the Mongols and saw how close they were, but it didn't matter.)

Top Bottom