National Wonders, what gives

Cromagnus

Deity
I don't know how I didn't notice this before, so maybe it only applies to Venice, but the time it takes to build National College is not (as I had thought) based on # of founded/annexed cities, but total # of cities. So if you puppet a city with 1 turn remaining on NC, suddenly it's 3 turns remaining... I found this out the hard way puppeting two cities in one turn with GMOV.

Is this Venice only, NC only, or has this always been the case with all National Wonders?

Maybe my confusion on this is based on the fact that National College only requires Libraries in annexed/founded cities...

if I remember correctly it says in the description that the cost goes up the more cities you have.

It has always been the case, and applies to all national wonders, not just NC (though it is arguably most painful for NC).

if I remember correctly it says in the description that the cost goes up the more cities you have.

"The more cities you have" is exactly the ambiguous part IMHO, since culture is based on # of non-puppeted cities, and the ability to *build* it is based on having a library in each non-puppeted city. I thought only science penalty was based on total cities.

Oh well, live in learn.

"The more cities you have" is exactly the ambiguous part IMHO, since culture is based on # of non-puppeted cities, and the ability to *build* it is based on having a library in each non-puppeted city. I thought only science penalty was based on total cities.

Oh well, live in learn.

National Wonders do get obscenely expensive (hammer wise) during long game domination games if you like to puppet half the known world ... Build them early or prepare to pay the price ..

On standard speed, each additional city you have (including puppets) increases the cost of remaining national wonders by 30 hammers.

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ V: General Discussions

On standard speed, each additional city you have (including puppets) increases the cost of remaining national wonders by 30 hammers.

What about if you capture and raze a city? Does the price go back down or does it stay the increased price? I've never actually checked to see.

I didn't realize it was fixed. That explains why the jump is so painful from 1->2 cities, and relatively painless from 100->101 cities. :p

That's a 20% increase, 155 -> 185.

What about if you capture and raze a city? Does the price go back down or does it stay the increased price? I've never actually checked to see.

I believe it stays at your <max number of cities ever owned>, so if you had one city, and captured 1, then razed it, then captured another, it would be 185. But if you capture, then captured 2, then razed 1, it would be 215.

However, I swear I've seen turns-remaining-to-next tech go down when trading a city to an AI, so maybe I'm wrong on that.

If you instantly raze, you may be exempt from the increased price (as long as you don't stop razing) just like the science per city increase.

It is not too uncommon to have a build on National Wonder paused because you conquered a new city and are razing it. After the razing, you have to manually resume the NW, but it will continue right where you left off (in terms of turns required).

In all my games, I had not realized puppetted cities adding to NW cost, so that is a helpful tip! I tend to procrastinate building the National Epic, so it seemed to me that it and NIA were highly variable in cost. Thinking back, warmongering after Hermitage explains that!

Top Bottom