Not Settling Capital Immediately?

rover68

Chieftain
I really think having the capital on the coast (if within a handful of tiles) is much better, since you can send cargo ships from there with usually the best return.

However, I've heard you are really setting yourself back if you don't settle t1.
What do you think?

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions.

I've seen a lot of challenges where the fastest times were those who spent time to relocate their capital. I'd probably not want to spend more than 5 turns moving, but I've seen very successful games from people who spent as much as 12 turns for the best location.

It is a set back, but a good game is all about location, location, location.

Actually, several months back firaxis actually proved that if you moved to a significantly better tile that you'll more than make up that single lost turn. It's referenced in one of the old polycast episodes.

It depends on settings for me. On quick, I'd be hard pressed to move 2 space, or into rough terrain, and be forced to settle on turn 2. Longer games don't take as much of a hit.

I'd also be more likely to move with sparse resources, since starting spots aren't normally very good, and I normally end up with just 1 lux, but with some movement, I can sometimes get 3.

For me to delay settling in any case, there has to be something to suggest I might end up with a better location. Unless I get bad starting dirt, see a mountain, river, or coast nearby, or...whatever, I'll probably avoid moving for more than 1 turn. It's one thing to sacrifice to get better land. It's another to sacrifice and end up settling in place anyway, and if I end up moving for several turns, likely, I delayed my capital to move from a place I'll end up having a city anyway...capital locations normally aren't ideal, but they tend to be good enough.

I may delay for 1 or 2 turns if I see a mountain or river a few tiles away.

If I'm playing OCC, it's ok for me to delay up to 5 turns.

If I plan to go wide, I don't mind so much about finding the perfect spot for the capital.

I remember being shocked seeing the Venetian dude wandering over to the coast north of me once, a settler all on his lonesome - if only I'd've had a warrior!

Up to maybe three turns without settling will repay you in buckets, as long as you can see starting out that your eventual city site will be massively better than your start hex!

On marathon you can go an awfully long time without settling.

Top Bottom