Self-government is better than good government

RedRalph

Deity
... or something like that. somone once said it, I think it may have been Churchill referring to India. anyway, you get the gist of it. Any thoughts?

I would agree, to an extent. It's easier to govern when you are directly effected by that region. That's why states are more pleasantly run than countries. The EU is following this move too... smart.

I completely disagree. My sole piece of evidence that is needed to explain this is Africa.

This depends on your definition of good. But if good means, "Good for all people in the society, in terms of social and economic development" then good government is better than self government.

Unfortunately governments have a nasty tendency to become centralized if not created that way.

I would agree, to an extent. It's easier to govern when you are directly effected by that region. That's why states are more pleasantly run than countries.

Obviously, sir, you've never spent any time in Australia.

What are we defining as self-government? Independence, or can devolution count?

... or something like that. somone once said it, I think it may have been Churchill referring to India. anyway, you get the gist of it. Any thoughts?

No... because while the responsible and moral might be able to achieve Self-Government to an extent, their are so many people simply not capable of self-government. Plus, it seems that most people coalesce around a central power, whether it be a leader, or a government.

Yup

...ten char

good government is liberal-democracy acting for the greatest good while preserving individual liberty, thus good government is probably a superior incarnation of self government. That's reading the terms differently than expressed by the Churchill quote in RRW's OP

Any thoughts?
I agree.

I completely disagree. My sole piece of evidence that is needed to explain this is Africa.
If a girl was repeatedly raped during a major developmental stage in her life you wouldn't expect her to be very good at self-governance (i.e. : having good control over her life) right away. Such is the case w/ much of Africa (and just as in the case of child abuse, some nations recovering are better from the colonial violations than others).

Here, Hear! (which is it?) I lived there for 14 years, can't tell you how glad I am to be out. :)

Like I said, I'm going to move to the capitalist haven known as New Hampshire, live free or die baby!!! I mean, I could probably go to Wyoming, Texas, or Florida, but at least I am closer to NYC, Boston.

It depends. Being a Cornishman, I think some autonomy from England is a good idea (like a regional assembly). London has shown time and time again that it just doesn't understand the problems we face here. However, I think true independance would be idiotic. Our economy would suffer greatly for one thing.

A regional assembly would help protect us though. For instance, lots of people retire here, putting strain on our social services. Other people have second homes here, which sit empty most of the year. This puts a strain on the local economy, and on young people looking for housing.

I disagree, bad self government is inferior to good government.

OK, well, (I know this is totaslly unrealistic, I'm just trying to establish your thoughts on the principle), if for some reason your home country found itself unable to govern, would you rather a neighbouring nation took control of the machinery of govt, or would you rather let your own people hammer out a state, however painful the process may be?

Here, Hear! (which is it?) I lived there for 14 years, can't tell you how glad I am to be out. :)

I thought you liked the Capitalist Paradise. By all definitions New York and it's Wall Street is the apex of capitalism.

Of course it is. Who gets to define what's good? It's clearly a choice between democracy and imperialism.

Because Africa is full of countries blessed with self-determination. Not. Dictatorship, oligarchy, or any other form of tyranny is not self-rule. In the cases where Africa does enjoy self-determination, yes it's much better than in colonial days.

Are you proposing the re-subjugation of Africa? Just what the continent needs :rolleyes:

Top Bottom