Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

While the sidney opera house matches nearly perfect, there's again the same like Cam mentioned before: You can't draw the sidney opera house in another way, and there are only a few perspectives.
But still :cool:.

Would be nice if someone did it for the DLC.

If i have time, i'll maybe somewhen in the next time try the same for Civ4. Just to see a comparison, if anything has changed in between, or if this is the normal procedure.

Greek pottery - Pottery

The Thinker - Philosophy

The Pont du Gard - Engineering

radar - first google result for "radar dish"

Risk-free though since it's a NASA picture in the public domain (source). But good find. :)

Of course, using PD pictures has its own drawbacks ... while there's no risk of legal issues in this case, the artistic quality obviously suffered. The dishes in the fore- and background cast their shadows in opposite directions ...

Candidate for Biology - request confirmation please:

I don't have the time to check the image thoroughly (by rotating, scaling, and superimposing one on the other), but I'm confident that it's a match. Note how the last chamber of the nautilus is smaller than the previous ones (a peculiarity not found in many other nautilus pictures), and how the shadows in the original match with the dark areas in the icon. You may have to enlarge the icon to see the chambers of the nautilus. Still, I'll add a request for confirmation - what do you think?

I found the image at Wikimedia Commons. If this is a match, then it may actually be a legal hazard, since the the license permits use only under GNU and CC share-alike licenses, none of which applies to Civ5. Of course, it's also possible that the photographer also released the image elsewhere with another license, or has been contacted by Firaxis.

It should probably be a full shell
Are you sure? When you enlarge the icon, you can clearly see the segments (chambers) inside the shell. You wouldn't see these in a picture of a full shell. It'd also be hard to explain the way the shadows/dark areas inside the shell (in the icon) fall if we assumed a full shell there.

Probable matches:
Resources: Banana, Ivory, Fur, Cotton, Spices, Cow
Techs: Mass Media, Chemistry, Stealth, Pottery, Astronomy, Refrigeration
Wonders:
Units: Settler (Donkey only), Trebuchet

Possible matches:
Resources: Fish
Techs: Engineering, Biology
Wonders: UN*, Himjei Castle*, Sydney Opera House
Units: Brute

*Common angle, could have other source

Found Biology, it seems to match better, plus it's the first google result, matching their... ehem... M.O.

Odd, because when I compared the two (I had the Tolweb picture in my "list of candidates"), I decided on the one I displayed in my post. I based that on two features that are only present in the Wikimedia picture I displayed:

- the grey tint at the "exit/entrance" are of the shell
- the black shadow directly in front of the last chamber, stretching halfway to the exit
- also, the Tolweb picture shows dark "dots" on most of the "chamber walls", which don't appear on the Civ5 icon

Two further attributes are the same for both candidates:
- appear on the first Google images page (when searching for "Nautilus shell")
- Display the last chamber as smaller than the previous ones

I didn't see anything that spoke for the Tolweb picture except that its orientation matches better, which is why I suggested to rotate and superimpose the pictures. But I'm of course not infallible - which attributes of the Tolweb picture make the it a better match than the Wikimedia picture in your eyes?

Odd, because when I compared the two (I had the Tolweb picture in my "list of candidates"), I decided on the one I displayed in my post. I based that on two features that are only presnt in the Wikimedia picture I displayed:

- the grey tint at the "exit/entrance" are of the shell
- the black shadow directly in front of the last chamber, stretching halfway to the exit

Two further attributes are the same for both candidates:
- appear on the first Google images page (when searching for "Nautilus shell")
- Display the last chamber as smaller than the previous ones

I didn't see anything that spoke for the Tolweb picture except that its orientation matches better, which is why I suggested to rotate and superimpose the pictures. But I'm of course not infallible - which attributes of the Tolweb picture make the it a better match than the Wikimedia picture in your eyes?

Yep, yours matches perfectly.

The element that matches the most is that "dove head" shaped shadow at the center of both shells, after I made that one fit, the entire thing fitted perfectly. They must have altered the ending a bit.

Yep, yours matches perfectly.
Hah, strike! We got it! ;)

The element that matches the most is that "dove head" shaped shadow at the center of both shells
Yep, that was the feature that caught my eye the most when I compared the icon to my list of candidates. I tried to describe that in my first post (when I talked about the shadow), but probably failed due to lack of proper words. I should have thought of dove heads! :)

Thanks for doing the work of rotating/scaling etc. :)

Came up on Google searching for tuna. Image flipped.

Not sure if this is the exact picture since tuna are going to look alike, but it seems pretty close. The other two fish may just be resized versions of the main one.

Another match, I honestly didn't thought I would find this one... not because it was hard to find, but because I thought they just wouldn't do this with a picture of Ben Franklin.

http://www.8ninths.com/deepdive/2009/4/29/re-engineering-ben-franklins-kite-line.html

The picture in questions belongs to the Ben Frankling Tercentenary. It's not public domain (as far as I know, their website says Copyright 2008 all rights reserved), I have no idea if they asked every single of these odd sources for permision or not.

Btw, I'm still trying to find the original for Catherine, I know they used a stock photo for that one, but I just haven't been able to find it.

Top Bottom