Civilization III: Worldwide

Game error...

File not found Dassault MD.452 Mystére IV.INI

please help...thanks.

That's from the old version of the game. In an alcoholic stupor I accidentally used the Israeli Mystére. In the new version, the French Dewoitine upgrades to 'MystereCamo' in the Modern Era, which you can find in the Worldwide>Art>Units folder.

To fix in your existing game, you'll have to rename the MystereCamo folder to Dassault MD.452 Mystére IV. You'll also have to change the INI inside that folder to the same name.

If you're going to play again, you'll want to upgrade to the most recent version in Post 1. Hope this made a modicum of sense.

Hey!
Uh... I had your old mod before and I installed your new patch just now....:D the only thing that seems to be missing is a bunch of (letter)(letter)_all.pcx files missing from the art/advisors folder.
I think it's like NP_all, KW_all, MM_all, HS_all, RA_all etc....
Will i have to download the whole one again? I remember that took a long time XD

Hey!
Uh... I had your old mod before and I installed your new patch just now....:D the only thing that seems to be missing is a bunch of (letter)(letter)_all.pcx files missing from the art/advisors folder.
I think it's like NP_all, KW_all, MM_all, HS_all, RA_all etc....
Will i have to download the whole one again? I remember that took a long time XD

You'll need the expansion in post #3 as well as the patch that you got from the end of post # 1. Although Ramses was in the original version as well, so he shouldn't be missing. Try the expansion first, but depending on what's missing you might have to redo the whole thing. All my copies of the original version have either been purged or overwritten. :)

I started playing this on the difficulty after Monarch (forgot what it was called :p), and it's really fun. Before I played this, I have been playing CCM a lot, which is very different from un-modded Civ. Your mod seems to be a bit closer to un-modded Civ, but it still has many radically different concepts. I find this very fun. I also enjoy the extensive interface graphics modding and the colorful variety of unit graphics. Superb job! :)

Thanks a lot, Underpaid! The game was definitely designed to stay close to the original (with all its discontents), starting with graphics and stat changes and evolving into its current form. I was playing a game of CCM as the Austrians. It's a real modder's mod; you can tell that Civinator's changes come from a deliberate, thorough understanding of how the game works.

I say was 'cause my computer's mind was erased this week and everything on it was obliterated from existence. :) So if I want to play my mod again, I'll have to wait on the atomicgamer download like everybody else. I lost tons of stuff, especially music, but I didn't lose much progress on my new scenario. I had the biq and key files stored on a thumb drive. :devil:

Great Mod. However ran into some more bugs.

Played as the French and noticed two issues.

1. When I got to the late Medieval period and wanted to build dragoons and other cavalry the game would make the cities change the unit from cavalry to irregulars. I tried this in different cities and the same thing happened. I don't know if there is an issue with the upgrade path of other French units but I would look in to those.

2. The silk attribute building, caravansary, was treated as a normal building throughout the game so I could build it along with other attribute buildings in the same city even though you say it is an attribute building.

Also I played this on your most recent update.

Otherwise great mod.

1. When I got to the late Medieval period and wanted to build dragoons and other cavalry the game would make the cities change the unit from cavalry to irregulars. I tried this in different cities and the same thing happened. I don't know if there is an issue with the upgrade path of other French units but I would look in to those.

Thanks, Scott. My last test game was with the French and I had no problems with the cavalry units. I checked the upgrade paths and they are correct. The Gendarme units should uprgade to Cuirassiers, and the Mounted Crossbowmen should upgrade to Dragoons. The Irregular should be an unbuildable upgrade to your mercenary units. I'm not sure what is causing this issue...perhaps other players have seen this in another context?

2. The silk attribute building, caravansary, was treated as a normal building throughout the game so I could build it along with other attribute buildings in the same city even though you say it is an attribute building.

Yes, the Caravanserai is listed with the Attributes, but its individual civilopedia entry correctly identifies it as an improvement. Thanks for spotting this; I must have changed it at some point. This improvement is deliberately different from the other luxury-related buildings. Whereas most of them have several benefits but can only be built with the luxury in the city radius, the caravanserai can be built anywhere in your empire, essentially as a trade stop for the silk road that increases local revenue and luxury trade. Be sure to sell them off for some extra cash when they become obsolete with the discovery of Railroad!

Annoyingly the game says missing text pediaicons powerplant. I'll try and get a screenie up. But this looks really good!

I need help to get the game into my Scenarios folder. Exactly what do I have to do - step by step; word for word after I have unzipped the two program sets? Are they ever combined? how does the program read the two different batches?

Remember that I am a techno-peasant and answer accordingly please.

Darski:

The two folders that you need are the main file from Atomicgamer, and the update from Post 1 of this thread. I hope those are the two you have downloaded and unzipped. Basically, what you'll do is set up the big folder, and then drop the little one inside.

First, the big folder should be directly inside your scenario folder. The name of it should be 'Worldwide'. Look inside this folder and it should have two folders called Art and Text, as well as a couple pictures. If you look inside it and see another folder called 'Worldwide', it won't work. In that case, you have to pull up that folder into the Scenarios folder. It will ask you if you wish to replace the existing Worldwide folder, which you do. It's kind of like opening a present and finding another wrapped box inside. :) You have to take contents of the inside box and move them up to the big box.

Second, you'll want to set up the update, which is called Worldwide v2.1. Inside, you'll see another 'Worldwide' folder. This update is set up so that you can drop it right on top of the big folder and it will integrate itself. Like filling up an ice cube tray; you don't need to dump out the ice cubes in it to fill up the empty holes with water. Cut and paste this Worldwide folder into the Scenarios folder. Again, it will ask you if you want to replace the existing folder, which you do. The update will then fill in to the main folder.

Finally, you need the scenario biq file. You'll use the one from the update, with the preposterous name of 'Prestige Worldwide'. This biq file needs to go right into the Scenarios folder. So, at the end of the day you should have one Worldwide folder and one Prestige Worldwide biq inside your scenario folder.

Hope this was of some help. I don't have the ability to post screenshots right now, but just let me know if that doesn't help and I can post some a little later. Thanks for downloading and I hope you enjoy! Any specific comments or suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you - I have pasted the info to wordpad and will use it to install. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me. :goodjob:

In the list of improvements and wonders, I noticed an UNUSED BLDG and an UNSUED BLDG 2! What's up with those? Just a couple of plans that never came together? Are they place holders for something? And can I rename UNSUED BLDG 2 to UNUSED BLDG 2? Not that the change would affect anything but the spelling bothers me!! ;)

In the list of improvements and wonders, I noticed an UNUSED BLDG and an UNSUED BLDG 2! What's up with those? Just a couple of plans that never came together? Are they place holders for something? And can I rename UNSUED BLDG 2 to UNUSED BLDG 2? Not that the change would affect anything but the spelling bothers me!! ;)

There were a number of buildings that either didn't work well in game or just became redundant and unnecessary. If you ever get bored and prod around the art folders, you'll see a bunch of extra buildings and wonder splashes. :) If you delete them in the editor, it screws the structure up of the building list, so it was better to make them unbuildable. If I add on civs in the future, I'll use those slots for new improvements and wonders.

Please feel free to rename them, correct them, or make any changes you like to the game.

Hello, Anton! ("Anton" is a russian equivalent of "Anthony" name, sounds with strong "o", my younger brother's name, as well) :)

Downloaded Worldwide Prestige yesterday, spent an evening and a half of the night playing it. :) I have some things to share, probably, things of minor importance but still I hope they'll be interesting to you. :)

First of all, I have to say "THANK YOU!" for a mod. I had hours of interest and pleasure playing it. :) It brings fun - and it's the most important thing for any entertaining work, so you did it, congrats! You really kept Civ3 spirit alive as someone said in the thread, so the mod is a good work. :) I didn't check a 1st version of the mod, so I'm talking about the latest version only.

OK, some feelings, details & impressions.
Initial conditions:
I started a game playing as the Spain (love this country very much), continents, 3 billions years, normal AI aggression, warlord difficulty - I'm not the coolest player on the planet + I wanted to feel all the flavour being not destroyed in era 1. :)
Progress:
Played for ~150 turns, passed through era 1 & a half of era 2, destroyed 2 neighbour civs, left with the single city 3 civs more, explored the 2nd huge continent, met all the rest civs, got ~1800 of gold.

Minor troubles with Civilopedia:
1) in description of Ghat attribute there's Masjid building link - it's broken (wrong entry);
2) in "Cannot hurry production" message box the link is broken as well.
I didn't look in the labels & civpedia, so I can't say what exactly went wrong.

Interface graphics: I don't like it, it's just not my style, but it's cool anyway to see a new gfx. This impression depends on the artistic taste of the concrete person, so it doesn't go for me, but definitely does to someone else.

Arrows on the scientific screen: I would be glad to see them. :) Developing my own mod, I went into the same trouble - a lot of techs means a lot of arrows, so it's necessary to create a readable screen with less as possible crossings - a task of graphs theory. I did it, but then downloaded an Aeon mod & found a most brilliant (IMHO) decision of the problem. :) So, possibly, it'll be suitable for you too.

In-game gfx: good choice, the only notable issue with the terrain - when it's a tundra, it's difficult to see a white "Active unit" mark on it because of the white over the white. City gfx could be updated with latest works from Kyriakos but still looks good. Some icons/splashes I saw for the 1st time - must say a very well done! :)

Slaves used from the Conquests. :) Seems like we need to pray Plotinus to create slaves pack. I use in my mod headless worker from him as a slave and it fits the rest of units gfx well.

Gameplay: the toughest part to describe, so a lot of words. :)
Didn't met naval barbarians, ground ones act well. Pillaged my terraform improvements some number of times, visited me often enough. You noticed I didn't say about their setup - just don't remember. :)

Some opponent civs were too peaceful/lazy. I played in a normal mode (not a debug), so I don't know what they built all the amount of time, but destroying the Scandinavians at ~900 AD I found 2 defenders (spearman) + 1 attacker (javelineer) in big cities, 2(or1) defenders in smaller towns. It was a big surprise for me since I expected more resistance.
So it left as a question for me. This thing seems to be a (cultural?) depending on something - it happened with european civs (Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia) + Aztecs, while Arabs & Turks were powerful enough and I even lost a highly damaged stack to Arabs because of their horsemen blitz attack. I read yesterday someone said British civ is weak and I suppose I can understand why this impression could happeneven if British unit line is one of most powerful - they just don't build units.

A Call-to-arms + Statue of Zeus (IIRC, that autoproduces catapracts) - a deadly combination. I didn't feel a need to build an army since these 2 wonders gave me a huge amount of mounted attackers with the retreat option. So I lost only a few of them attacking footmen. Turning to Kingship was not really necessary & tempting - I just waited for Feudalism killing europeans & biting with Arabs with autoproduced horsemen. So there's no real choice of what you talked earlier in the thread - +15 gpt & amount of horsemen with Chiefdom doesn't tempt me to change a regime to have +37 & no new horsemen.
And one more problem. The wonder autoproduced units should assist player's army, but shouldn't be the player's army itself (at one moment of time 80% of my army consisted of autorpoduced horsemen & cataphracts) IMHO. It seems like a gameplay flaw to me - and I can recall someone already said "buildings, buildings, buildings".

Flavour buildings/attributes: I read about all of them carefully since I do like very much the idea of cities specialization, but I had no need to build any of them. It's a pity, but going well without them I don't see any reason to build them. It's a gameplay flaw IMHO - I expected a lot from them, but received much less. Well, OK it's just a high level of expectation problem. :) So that moment I remembered words from Nihtantuel and understood his "no any new". I felt something very close.

Artillery action: I saw no artillery used offensively against me or someone else so cannot tell anything about it. I'm gonna finish the game and possibly later I'll have a chance to check it. :)

Mercenaries: I didn't see any reason to build them. When I at war with someone, I can take their workers & minor forces in a regular way, and a minor filth... I have to reach Middle Ages just to crash a couple of Arabian hen houses? No, thank you. So the idea doesn't seem cool to me. I had the same realization of pirates-mercenaries in my mod - but they aren't able to attack cities, so I threw it out.

Government-based city improvement: a very good and interesting idea. I read about it earlier, but you converted words into action and it's really interesting. :)

So that's all for now, if you interested - I will post the rest later.
An overall mark - 3-3.5 of 5, IMHO. Possibly, it's my own problem - I expected it to be closer to my own mod since I read a lot of the same ideas into the mod's description in the post #1. I expected more new game mechanics. :) But as I said, you kept a Civ3 spirit alive - and I'm, downloading a mod, always looking for something new. :)

Many words. :)
So, again, thank you for bringing a fun and interest into our lives and I wish you a success with your new projects! :)

Thanks for the nice comments, Wolfshade. I like long posts, since they are very specific in providing insights into the game.

Minor troubles with Civilopedia:
1) in description of Ghat attribute there's Masjid building link - it's broken (wrong entry);
2) in "Cannot hurry production" message box the link is broken as well.
I didn't look in the labels & civpedia, so I can't say what exactly went wrong.

I will check these soon. There's always a few hiding in the civilopedia.

Arrows on the scientific screen: I would be glad to see them. :)

I agree. It's a big project that someday in the future it would be good to finish. It won't be any time soon, though.

Slaves used from the Conquests. :) Seems like we need to pray Plotinus to create slaves pack. I use in my mod headless worker from him as a slave and it fits the rest of units gfx well.

There are Firaxis units that I really like and those that I don't. I think the slave unit is pretty bad, but didn't find anything specifric that I wanted to replace it with. Headless workers...even in death they must serve you!

Some opponent civs were too peaceful/lazy...So it left as a question for me. This thing seems to be a (cultural?) depending on something - it happened with european civs (Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia) + Aztecs, while Arabs & Turks were powerful enough and I even lost a highly damaged stack to Arabs because of their horsemen blitz attack.

There are some AI civs that consistently have become powerhouses in every test game I played (Mesoamerica, Russia), and some civs that consistently suck every time I play (United States, Japan). Most vary from game to game. As an example, I've seen Germany as a backward and weak nation, a monster civ that overran a dozen enemies and conquered a continent, and as a compact country with limited land but high industry and led the game in technology.

One thing I was aiming for was unpredictability, and I've been satisfied for the most part with how the civs perform differently in separate games. Of course, I've had to play lots of test games in the last year and a half. :)

A Call-to-arms + Statue of Zeus - a deadly combination. I didn't feel a need to build an army since these 2 wonders gave me a huge amount of mounted attackers with the retreat option. So I lost only a few of them attacking footmen. Turning to Kingship was not really necessary & tempting - I just waited for Feudalism killing europeans & biting with Arabs with autoproduced horsemen. So there's no real choice of what you talked earlier in the thread - +15 gpt & amount of horsemen with Chiefdom doesn't tempt me to change a regime to have +37 & no new horsemen.
And one more problem. The wonder autoproduced units should assist player's army, but shouldn't be the player's army itself (at one moment of time 80% of my army consisted of autorpoduced horsemen & cataphracts) IMHO.

You've hit on something that's been a real issue for me. When you have ideas that you want to implement, you have to spend a lot of time creating them before you can even test them properly. Then you spend many hours playing so that you can see how that new adjustment fits into the overall picture.

The Call-to-Arms went through many changes before its current form. It has been an improvement, an attribute, a small wonder, required and not required resources, etc. It is a great asset to the early warmonger, especially on harder difficulty settings. Furthermore, the AI has used or ignored it very randomly. They seem to prefer the switch to kingship as soon as possible. Sometimes a technologically backwards civ will become disproportionally strong from this. I saw a Mongol civ unleash a veritable horde of horseman in the late Ancient Era once.

The same applies to things like the manor and bimaristan. The AI doesn't make the manor because it never seems to create defensive attributes (castles and fortresses). In any future edition of the game, I plan to revisit this area and try to come up with some solutions.

I happen to agree with your comment about armies not being made of autoproduced units, but I also think that's a personal preference. Some prefer a carefully regulated production of units that relies heavily on autoproduction. In the future, this will be reassessed.

Flavour buildings/attributes: I read about all of them carefully since I do like very much the idea of cities specialization, but I had no need to build any of them. It's a pity, but going well without them I don't see any reason to build them. It's a gameplay flaw IMHO - I expected a lot from them, but received much less. Well, OK it's just a high level of expectation problem. :) So that moment I remembered words from Nihtantuel and understood his "no any new". I felt something very close.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure what you were expecting. There's only a limited amount of things that improvements can do in the editor, as you know. There are times that I also neglect to build them because I feel I'm doing fine without them. But little bonuses like +50% science, +50% trade, or +25% production can make a real difference in some places. Overall, they are meant to add additional options, depending on your gameplay style.

Artillery action: I saw no artillery used offensively against me or someone else so cannot tell anything about it. I'm gonna finish the game and possibly later I'll have a chance to check it.

Catapults and trebuchets operate the same as in a regular game. Later, you'll see the AI using artillery as an offensive unit, and a defensive bombarder. I've actually seen the computer use the artillery for bombardment offensively on rare occasions; it's awesome to watch them redline units in a city before attacking. Hopefully one day this problem can be fixed so we can see the AI bombard in its full glory.

Mercenaries: I didn't see any reason to build them. When I at war with someone, I can take their workers & minor forces in a regular way, and a minor filth... I have to reach Middle Ages just to crash a couple of Arabian hen houses? No, thank you. So the idea doesn't seem cool to me. I had the same realization of pirates-mercenaries in my mod - but they aren't able to attack cities, so I threw it out.

Yes, mercenaries were a disappointment to me. Though they do help on tougher difficulty levels. I use them to eliminate enemy units parked in my territory, or to capture workers, or to even the odds if a strong nation is beating up a weaker one. I'd like to find a way to employ these so the AI doesn't go crazy with them. If you make small wonder that produces them, the AI will squander their guys piecemeal.

I expected it to be closer to my own mod since I read a lot of the same ideas into the mod's description in the post #1.

Ultimately, my goal was to create my own version of the game suited to my tastes. That's why I didn't want to change too many of the fundamentals of gameplay. Plus, I think there's still enough options to suit different kinds of play, and different set-ups and maps. The main focus has always been the unique, so-called 'flavor' graphics to differentiate the civs visually.

Thanks very much for the feedback and feel free to post more!

I redownloaded the game (This is the 3rd time) and tried to open with the zip file provided by windows:

So I tried to open it with WinRar, but it was missing the text file:

What can I do? This looks like something really good!

I redownloaded the game (This is the 3rd time) and tried to open with the zip file provided by windows: What can I do?

Banefire,

Which download did you get? Was that the main atomicgamer one from Post 1? I'm not savvy enough with computers to know why it won't unzip, but I have downloaded and used it twice myself so far for testing. I can try to do so again to make sure it is not corrputed at the site. If not, I hope someone can give you a hand with this.

If the text file missing, which I don't know why it would be, you can get that from the update at the end of Post 1. Sorry I can't be of more help yet, but keep me posted if you find any other developments.

Yes, I tried the 5 part first, but that didn't work (I deleted it, so I won't do all that rubbish of downloading it and it not working). This time it was the main. It was (2) so this is the 3rd time. Thanks for that though!

BaneFire, I read in the topic people have some problems with downloading when use a Internet Explorer. I use Mozilla Firefox and had no problems with downloading 1,489,589KB file (it's a hint what the size of the current release .zip file should be). MS Windows is a big project and it includes a Paint program as well, but Adobe Photoshop is just better - it's not a question to discuss. The same thing with IE & other browsers such as Firefox or Opera.

Top Bottom