Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

why is the word "******ed" without the last 2 letters on the censor list. its an actual condition

No it isn't. It was a term describing a certain conditions but it is no longer considered politically correct. Same as past terms for black people, disabled people etc..

I "think" the correct term is "mentally handicapped". Calling someone ******ed is now deemed offensive.

Yes it has other uses, like the reduced growth rate of a plant.. but thats the beauty of the English language that a filter cannot cope with. Same way a male chicken is also an offensive word, and a female dog can be!

No it isn't. It was a term describing a certain conditions but it is no longer considered politically correct. Same as past terms for black people, disabled people etc..

I "think" the correct term is "mentally handicapped". Calling someone ******ed is now deemed offensive.

Yes it has other uses, like the reduced growth rate of a plant.. but thats the beauty of the English language that a filter cannot cope with. Same way a male chicken is also an offensive word, and a female dog can be!

What he said.

Used to refer to a person, it is extremely offensive.

Certainly there are non-offensive uses of the word too. But somehow I think you can get by without it, as there are obvious alternatives for those contexts.

It is hard to see if someone is meaning to cause offence over a forum.. I think in speech it is easier to tell if someone is trying to cause offence or not.

I similarly work with children with learning difficulties.. in an agricultural setting.. so its hard to keep everyone from calling them all sorts! 0_o

what about it's use as a verb?

That said, its probably considered offensive in Europe.
... and its considered offensive in the US.

Mind you, there are different levels/meanings of offensive.

That said, it has come to be recognized as a pejorative.

... and its considered offensive in the US.

That said, it has come to be recognized as a pejorative.

I've never heard anyone be offended by it IRL (And mind you, this is from someone from a family where ANY profanity is considered offensive.)

Granted, CALLING someone that would be offensive, but so would calling someone an idiot. But I don't recall to anyone considering calling some THING ******ed to be offensive.

Example, if I said to you: You are ******ed. That would be offensive. But so would saying You are an idiot. I don't see how one is "Worse than the other."

Or maybe I'm just being ignorant...

^ That's the key to what I said.
Example, if I said to you: You are ******ed. That would be offensive. But so would saying You are an idiot. I don't see how one is "Worse than the other."
Now, if we were on the street and you had said this to me, I'd take about the same level of offense.

But, when you add the context that rword also applies to people with mental handicaps by using idiot and rword interchangably you are insulting the mentally handicapped, you are saying that they are, essentially, idiots. So, by using rward in that manner it is insulting to them and, so far that you and I are aware of this connection, perhaps insulting to either of us, as well.

Its similar to how they word "gay" is becoming seen more and more as offensive.

To me, they are equally rude. But, when you add the context that rword also applies to people with mental handicaps by using idiot and rword interchangably you are insulting the mentally handicapped, you are saying that they are, essentially, idiots.

Its similar to how they word "gay" is becoming seen more and more as offensive.

Well, I don't find the usage of the word "Gay" to be offensive either. I consider it to be a very low level of discourse, but not offensive.

Well, in my opinion its just people becoming oversensitive, but I am not the Law here. I'll let it go:)

Well, I don't find the usage of the word "Gay" to be offensive either. I consider it to be a very low level of discourse, but not offensive.
If you were gay, handicapped, or family/friend to either you might feel differently.

I've really changed, in recent years, how I see these words. Whenever I hear someone call someone else the rward I think how someone w/ a disability would feel if they over-heard the insult being made.
Well, in my opinion its just people becoming oversensitive, but I am not the Law here. I'll let it go:)
I'm not talking about the law in this forum. I'm talking about polite society. About learning how to live with others and play nicely. How to be a decent human being.

ymmw.

If you were gay, handicapped, or family/friend to either you might feel differently.

I will say that there is someone in my family who is gay.

I've really changed, in recent years, how I see these words. Whenever I hear someone call someone else the rward I think how someone w/ a disability would feel if they over-heard the insult being made.

I can see your point here. I personally feel it is a differnation in words. TECHNICALLY, "Idiot" is actually a term for someone of an IQ of 25 or lower, Imbecile for someone between 25 and 50, and Moron between 50 and 75. I've never heard of anyone claiming any of these words are offensive due to this.

That said, there may be a reason why ******ed is singled out and these words are not. But I'm not seeing it.

I'm not talking about the law in this forum. I'm talking about polite society. About learning how to live with others and play nicely. How to be a decent human being.

I do recall to some moderator saying that they were against the rules. My point was that I am going to respect those rules while I am here, but that I am not understanding the reason for it.

TECHNICALLY, "Idiot" is actually a term for someone of an IQ of 25 or lower, Imbecile for someone between 25 and 50, and Moron between 50 and 75. I've never heard of anyone claiming any of these words are offensive due to this.

I read somewhere that those are really archaic terms and not used so much anymore. But if you were making a thread about mental ******ation I suppose you could still use them to avoid constantly saying "people with an IQ between 25 and 50". Unless theres newer terms I dont know

question: how do invisible users appear to moderators in the list?

visible.

Are they specially marked, in italics maybe?

What happened to the "Chinese parenting" (I forget the title but that's roughly it) thread that was in OT? Did it just move somewhere else or was it one of those that got whisked off to the netherworld and posters who ever mention such a topic or any posts about it again are in for it? I mean I know I found better discussion at teamliquid anyway but still, threads disappearing rather than actual locking or other indications of what the moderators did is annoying, sorry if that's a hassle and if it just moved thanks to whoever can point that out.

Top Bottom