I can't stop starting new games!

I suffer from this disease too, my therapy was playing TSG's and Deity maps posted on the forums. Before I started doing this, a friend of mine made fun of me for never having actually completed a game. Why Steam would let him know this and not me, I do not know, but I started a duel skirmish game as the Huns that night and trounced Shaka really good just to prove him wrong.

It isn't because the late game is boring that you want to restart, it's more the fact that you A) Saw what you did wrong and want to try to do it better and B) Are tired of seeing the same things over and over again and just want something new. Learning to play as quick as possible and getting Sub-200 wins on Deity is the cure for this. You won't have "n00bish regret" as I like to think of it, where even though you aren't a n00b you feel like you played like one and want to start over. Also, the game will end before you are stuck slogging through end-turn end-turn end-turn.

Also, as fun as the animations are, turning them off doubles the speed of your game. I am not joking here, try it out.

maybe it's time for some mods?
Also, it sounds like building the empire is the fun part for you, and the victory is not a big deal once you've done the same one a few times. Trying to do a domination on a huge map might be a challenge, or as others have said, up the difficulty.

Dunno, do you think its a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

The early game is fun admittedly but if the game is too easy it rather loses its appeal quickly

Do you have an objective for the game? At what point do you decide which VC to pursue, and how to do it? In my personal experience if I find myself late in the game without a clear objective, I will most likely abandon the game. This also happens when the game is too easy.
If none of this is the case, maybe you just need some extra incentive to finish the game. Try some of the challenges from the Strategy and Tips section there are games for Immortal and Deity difficulty, and you can compare your experience with other players experience. This way you tend to finish the game to see how you managed compared to other players.

Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but in my current game, where I increased the number of Civs to eat up excess space, I had two early wars with Rome. Their military was far, far superior to mine and by all rights they should have annihilated my civilisation (I neglected military getting early science/culture wonders), I still managed to defeat and hobble them because of how poorly they used their army vs. my tactical play.

Is there a mod which makes the AI better at warfare? I don;t want to further increase the difficulty because it feels like AI just gets better because of bonuses, but I was wondering if there is a mod which actually increases their tactical ability. Especially in the late game, the way to AI deploys their forces is just idiotic.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=550671

My problem is similar - I just lose interest in playing. I got to turn 295 on an immortal game before Christmas and have played another 12 turns in nearly a month. The trouble is that it's almost certain I'm going to win a cultural victory, but I just don't want to slog out another 50+ turns making it happen. I've never played deity in Civ V, but I'm not keen on the idea, since that limits your options - you most probably won't get a religion, no wonders for thousands of years, be forced into war..... I do hope Civ VI prioritises addressing this issue of late game fatigue.

As others have suggested, you might want to play the challenge games or the Game of the Month. Seeing how quickly you can win a victory and comparing it to others performance with the same start has provided me with an extra challenge and incentive to complete games.

Top Bottom