Smart AI artillery usage suggestion

No new pictures, but only a short (more or less) report. ;)

I have not further altered the Peasant Milita/Pioneer/Combat Engineer family, as I am quite satisfied with them and how the KI is using them.

The Hussar family is back to normal (5/3/3, no salvage and slightly lower price tag compared to Cavalry).

I had then first added a new small wonder (Uhlan Academy) to autoproduce a Uhlan (5/2/2 and salvage), but I deleted it before even using it in its first game, as it would simply to much autoproduced units for my taste.

Instead I have moved the allready excisting Military School from Invention to Metallurgy and added the enslave... ehm... salvage ability for Horse Artillieries to its autoproduced Royal Horse Guard (4/4/2). Like all horse mounted units it went to the Late Cavalry (8/4/3, Replacable Parts) as final upgrade.

Both worked as intended in my current game for both me and the KI (who again actually used their foreign artilliery units for offensive both against me and other KI - on an island map! Since they loose more artillery than in an unmodded game, there seems to be no problem with too many of them. ;)

Salvaged artillery works fine so far.

But now I have found a slightly confusing piece:

The Dutch are using a veteran Howitzer against my troops near Amsterdam. It move out of Groningen to fire.

I assumed at first that it was formerly a captured catapult or cannon, but F3 shows that they have captured only one artillery unit from the Romans, and that is a Firaxis Artillery (stands in the upgrade path after Howitzer, so that it can not upgraded until Robotic).

So it seems that Willem uses also his own (non foreign) artilleries outside of his cities. :confused:

I was unable to place a Spy in his capital, so that my knowledge about the Dutch forces is only limited.

BTW the Dutch are using German Infantry only by accident. I somehow enabled them for the Dutch, but disabled them for the Germans, so that I have to do with Prussian Line Infantry (a type of flavor Rifleman) until I reached Computers to get Modern German Infantry. :blush:

I have seen similar artillery-usage where the artillery piece used offensively outside cities was'nt in the "captured units"-section in the military advisor screen. I can think of two possible explanations:
1. Not all captured units shows up as captured units in military advisor screen (would be strange, but lots of things are strange in Civ3).
2. The unit could have been captured by an enemy, and later re-captured by it's original owner (and thus considered "native", but retained the aggressive behaviour of captured "foreign" units).

You would need to be in debug-mode and constantly monitor every AI artillery units to find out what's happening. For what it's worth: I think explanation nr. 2 is more plausible than nr. 1.

Top Bottom