Research URLs For Mod Makers

I'm going to make "announcement" posts -- really based almost entirely upon whim ;) whenever I come across anything either really spectacular and or, um, "out of the ordinary". These URLs will be posted in the main "library" as well as these separate posts.

Here's the first:

Modern Naval .WAVs from the DOD - scroll down to "Navy" for gunfire, engines, klaxons, etc.

... and the second:

The Strange Mechanism Museum - "This page recommends Experimental projects, Prototypes, Paper plans ,Canceled projects, and many interesting mechanisms."

-- MUCH serious weirdness here (the US AAAV-7 experimental laser vehicle platform; an Australian Navy catamaran; an XB-70 prototype that looks like it came from the old TV puppet show "Thunderbirds"; etc) , yet I was only able to ID one practical joke (an SU-25 crossed with a T-34/85 :rolleyes: )*

Seriously, many intriguing historical oddities; well worth checking out.

-Oz

* ... But, perversely intrigued, I found the real-life basis for the joke --

"An original idea came from A. N. Tupolev Bureau: a T-60 light tank was fitted with wings and control surfaces, so that body of the tank was a backbone of the resulting glider.Amazingly, this project advanced beyond paper and was flown in 1940. "

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/KT-40.html

Go figure.

... And, of course, a photograph for the skeptics in the next post (the "edit" function evidently doesn't allow for adding attachments) -- you know who you are ...

You should add a link to the BMP to BIC download. It is useful for mapmakers and is often hard to find at CFC. It is in a thread on page one of the C and C forum right now.

Originally posted by Drewcifer
You should add a link to the BMP to BIC download. It is useful for mapmakers and is often hard to find at CFC. It is in a thread on page one of the C and C forum right now.

Good idea! -- consider it done; I'm adding it to the top of the map page now.

Thanks,

Oz

I've added two, new, History Sub-categories: "Economic History" and "Historiography".

Thanks go to Plexus for his contributions!

-- And we're at about 170 links and counting ...

QUESTION: There are obviously quite a few gaps -- I mean, I trust and hope we're not out to rival the Library of Congress here :crazyeye: -- but does anyone feel that any particular category / categories which you'd find exceptionally useful are either way too thin or altogether lacking?

Best,

Oz

Thanks to a posting by Wolfhart I've added yet another "History" category:"Obscure" -- and I know that's saying a lot around here :D

-- Honestly, how many of you who aren't Swedish knew about the Swedish colonization of the Delaware River area in the 17th and 18th centuries??

As Always,

Oz

Originally posted by ozymandias
-- Honestly, how many of you who aren't Swedish knew about the Swedish colonization of the Delaware River area in the 17th and 18th centuries??
I did:p, they founded Wilmington and Gloucester.

This is really more of an "eyecandy" type of site...

a collection of naval art prints

It does have alot of great battle scenes showing many typical ships, such as the USS Constitution (a frigate), the USS Monitor (an ironclad), the HMS Victory (a ship-of-the-line), etc...

Just thought I'd share this with you because I think military art is really nice.:D

This site here has alot of useful and interesting info about the Middle Ages:

Medieval History

Enjoy! :D

This cool site covers pretty much everything "military equipment" during WWII.

Thought I'd share it with you guys...

WWII military equipment

20 or so new links scattered here and there throughout the Library -- I'm doing "on request" sub-sections; see the new sub-section on Renaissance Land Warfare.

I've got another 20-30 URLs still backlogged; then I'll probably try to do some further sorting / organizing -- any input on this will be welcomed!

-Oz

Top Bottom