Does the AI ever make good use of 'The New World'?

I've never gotten a big rush to colonize the new world that I hope for. Even Spain never made good use of their UU. Part of it may be that I know the new world is out there so I make a point to get to it so I have the lead. In my last game Poland made some effort and the Shoshone eventually made several cities, but it was long after I passed on it myself, playing a 'tall' empire strategy and having already been ahead not wanting to manage too any cities while I wait out my win.

So has anyone seen a good new world competition from the AI?

I'll probably try a game with civs that have high expansion flavor and possibly high navel growth flavor since that might help too, put more civs than recommended for the map size to force them to expand to new continents. And play as Venice so I don't compete for new world city sites, and so it being crowded doesn't effect me. See if that works.

I was going to post something similar, although I wasn't able to come up with a succinct issue. I play at Emperor, on Continents, Standard/Standard, and I find the AI to be ridiculously passive, game after game. They frequently settle 3-4 cities, and then just sit. Most games, there is 1 war-monger who stirs up trouble, but that's usually all that happens. I tried increasing the number of Civs by 50%, but that didn't help. I may try tripling the number of AI Civs, just to see what happens.

p.s. In my last try, I had 16 Civs on a Large Continents map. There was 1 war-monger (Germany) and 1 expansionist/colonialist (Zulu). The Iroquois had an entire landmass all to themselves and couldn't be bothered to settle more than 4 cities before the Middle Ages, when I got bored and quit.

Part of it may be that I know the new world is out there so I make a point to get to it so I have the lead.

This is why, for a long time now, I've been advocating to have Terra included in the "Random" map option. That way, you won't know there is another virgin continent out there until you stumble upon it accidentally. It would be like the actual discovery of the New World by Europeans.

I was going to post something similar, although I wasn't able to come up with a succinct issue. I play at Emperor, on Continents, Standard/Standard, and I find the AI to be ridiculously passive, game after game. They frequently settle 3-4 cities, and then just sit. Most games, there is 1 war-monger who stirs up trouble, but that's usually all that happens. I tried increasing the number of Civs by 50%, but that didn't help. I may try tripling the number of AI Civs, just to see what happens.

p.s. In my last try, I had 16 Civs on a Large Continents map. There was 1 war-monger (Germany) and 1 expansionist/colonialist (Zulu). The Iroquois had an entire landmass all to themselves and couldn't be bothered to settle more than 4 cities before the Middle Ages, when I got bored and quit.

That's weird. I play on Emperor and there always comes a game when the AIs start tucking cities into EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE CITY SITE. Even annoying little frozen islands right on my damned border.

The ai will give a match in the higher difficulties usually. Like all the other scenarios and maps.

I'm genuinely surprised by your question. I've been playing Terra for the last 6 or 7 games, and there is always a scramble for land in the new world (granted I'm on G&K but I'd be surprised if that makes much difference). In the game before last I was a bit delayed in my naval exploring (due to getting dogpiled by Rameses, Izzy and Washington), and when I finally found the new world there was a full-scale war going on between Harun and Attila! It made for a great game actually. Although I often manage to find and settle there first, I usually have neighbours in no time. I can only think that you have had some odd results from the RNG...

It might be that I'm only playing on King. Emperor never goes well for me but maybe if I keep restarting until I get a great start location I'll make it through. My current game is on Emperor and it's going OK, but it's a highlands map so there isn't even an ocean, let alone a new world.

Top Bottom