Civ V on tablets

lindsay40k

Emperor
Anyone having a good time with CiV on a mini device of some stripe? I guess this could include Android or iPad users mucking around with total disregard for their warranties, but the real gist of the question is can one get a playable, portable CiV game without having to lug a laptop around?

I play Multiplayer Civ all the time on my ipad.

I use an app called Splashtop for streaming and controlling my monster desktop PC remotely.

I have won NQ FFA games using this set up.

Does not cause DC/high ping/crashes or problems for other players. Needs to be played in windowed mode.

Sometimes loss of connection to computer occurs. This will appear to other players as if being AFK for 30 or so seconds while restarting the app.

All in all it's a fun and flexible way to play Civ that holds up even in MP.

Make sure you're charging your ipad.

I am looking to play on the train, so Splashtop would not do it for me. Seats are too cramped for laptop really.

Does the tablet have with (or support) a stylus for the touch screen?
If not and you have to use your fingers, it may get uncomfortable after an hour or two.
(There's a lot more stress involved in using fingers directly than with a stylus or for that matter standard mouse and keyboard)

Basically, a new tablet is a lot like an underpowered notebook with a tiny monitor that's a touchscreen and doesn't come with mouse or keyboard. You'd have to check to see if has USB ports to support those. (But if you wouldn't have space for a normal size notebook, you probably don't have space for a separate mouse or keyboard anyway.)
By now the underpowered by todays standards will be pretty much what average was back when Civ V first came out.

I think some powerful tablets with Windows 8 should do the job. Hmm... Razer is going to make/made tablet for players but I have no idea about price and how long battery will last.

I just preordered a MSoft SP3 with i7, 8 gigs of ram and 256 HD and Civ V is the first thing I will try to play.

If it doesn't work well, back to the msoft store it goes!!

Thx
jonpfl

I play Multiplayer Civ all the time on my ipad.

I use an app called Splashtop for streaming and controlling my monster desktop PC remotely.

I have won NQ FFA games using this set up.

Does not cause DC/high ping/crashes or problems for other players. Needs to be played in windowed mode.

Sometimes loss of connection to computer occurs. This will appear to other players as if being AFK for 30 or so seconds while restarting the app.

All in all it's a fun and flexible way to play Civ that holds up even in MP.

Make sure you're charging your ipad.

Interesting, is Splashtop an App Store thing or does it need a jailbreak?

The Surface Pro 2 can play Civ5 reasonably well (just don't get the Pro 3, it has a limiting factor built in on its processor to reduce heat which makes running Civ5 impossible).

The Surface Pro 2 can play Civ5 reasonably well (just don't get the Pro 3, it has a limiting factor built in on its processor to reduce heat which makes running Civ5 impossible).

I have read that it throttles down but supposedly with firmware updates it should get better (I hope). Do you have experience or an article saying it doesn't run Civ V?

Plus I ordered an i7 with 8 gigs so I am guessing that should run it decently. When I get it, if it does not, I will probably just return it to the msoft store (30 day return policy).

Thx
jonpfl

Civilization 5 has touch screen capabilities abd using it in a laptop is also possible.

Top Bottom