Wow, Indonesia...

in the now

Chieftain
The fact that the Indonesian ability requires cities to be built on continents OTHER than their own...it sucks, and i think may make them the worst Civ in game, easily.

Worst civ in the game? I doubt it. Worst new civ in BNW? Maybe.

I heard off-hand that the Kris Swordsman can get negative random promotions, can anyone confirm or disprove this?

What did you expect? It's been known you have to settle on foreign continents since they were first announced.

I agree. The civ looks like it needs serious balancing issues on non-archipelago maps.

Obviously Indonesia will have a better time on a Archipelagio / small continents type of map. Don't expect them to shine on Pangea or Continents.

I heard off-hand that the Kris Swordsman can get negative random promotions, can anyone confirm or disprove this?
We already knew this, there was a full list of their promotions in the datamining thread. I always thought this was a really bad move and were surprised nobody were discussing it.

The fact that the Indonesian ability requires cities to be built on continents OTHER than their own...it sucks, and i think may make them the worst Civ in game, easily.
Try them on an archipelago or other maps with a lot of water. Admittedly their UA doesn't work as well on pangea.

I don't understand how this civ power works. I mean wouldn't that make them pretty much unplayable on maps like Pangaea? This kinda reminds me of the Polynesian unique ability although that one isn't restrictive like the Indonesian ability. I'm of the opinion that civs should be able to do well no matter what type of map it is. Having civs tailored to specific maps types kinda makes you want to avoid those civs especially if you're going to randomly generate your map and you have no guarantee that the map will fit your civ's ability.

Don't forget a 1 tile island is a continent in the weird computer rules of civ.

It's not that hard to find "another continent" on most maps.

I don't understand how this civ power works. I mean wouldn't that make them pretty much unplayable on maps like Pangaea? This kinda reminds me of the Polynesian unique ability although that one isn't restrictive like the Indonesian ability. I'm of the opinion that civs should be able to do well no matter what type of map it is. Having civs tailored to specific maps types kinda makes you want to avoid those civs especially if you're going to randomly generate your map and you have no guarantee that the map will fit your civ's ability.
I agree that it would be nice if civs with a very strong affinity for certain kind of maps had a higher/lower probability of showing up, depending on what type of maps you chose. Indonesia and Polynesia would favour Archipelagio/Small Continents types of maps, whereas for instance Huns would favor Continents/Pangea types of maps.

Btw. here's the full list of Kriss swordsman promotions:
Spoiler :
MYSTIC BLADE Promotion is replaced with a randomly chosen new promotion after the unit completes its first combat. (I believe this is the one represented with the "?" logo)
INVULNERABIILITY +30% Combat Bonus when defending. +20 Hit Points when healing
SNEAK ATTACK Flank attack bonus increased by 50%
HEROISM Unit awards combat bonus to nearby units as if it is a Great General
AMBITION +50% Combat Bonus when attacking. -20% penalty when defending
RESTLESSNESS May Attack Twice. 1 Extra Movement
RECRUITMENT Heals All Damage If Kills Non-Barbarian Unit
ENEMY BLADE Takes 20 Damage If Ends Turn in Enemy Territory
EVIL SPIRITS -10% penalty when attacking. -30% penalty when defending

I remember when the first few promotions were revealed (one of them being Ambition) I thought cool, some of them combine a good and a bad thing, to tone the unit in a specific direction - but the fact that some of them are all bad while others seem overpowered (Restlessness? Invulnerability?) is a very bad move imo.

Civs are always balanced around a map similar to the real world, continents or similar with normal amount of city states. Its not really interesting to have civs abilities that suit all different maps and would be quite hard to not make them all redundant.

Polynesia and Indonesia are naval type civs, it wouldn't make sense for them to do well on a Pangea.

Im currently playing as Shoshone, and seriously, harvested 5 ruins by turn 13 and im just...shocked that the shoshone can be so quickly powerful and indonesia suck

Civs are always balanced around a map similar to the real world, continents or similar with normal amount of city states. Its not really interesting to have civs abilities that suit all different maps and would be quite hard to not make them all redundant.

Agreed. I like the variety. If this was Civ I where you only had a select number of civs it would be a problem, but we have 43 different civs with a bunch of different maps to go along with it

So as a player it's not a problem

As an AI? That's another story

Hemispheres is the best map to play, allways!

Maybe, with 43 civilizations, it is about time to introduce a "negative selection" in the game setup. So, if you decided to play a pangea map, you may chose Indonesians and Polynesia not to be part of the random civ selection.
Yeah, that would be nice.

Maybe, with 43 civilizations, it is about time to introduce a "negative selection" in the game setup. So, if you decided to play a pangea map, you may chose Indonesians and Polynesia not to be part of the random civ selection.

A mod has been created for this already.

A mod has been created for this already.

Is there a mod for AI random modifiers? The Zulu are unbearable and kinda just spoil the fun of the early game. I don't want to handpick my opponents, but I hate the Zulu.

Is there a mod for AI random modifiers? The Zulu are unbearable and kinda just spoil the fun of the early game. I don't want to handpick my opponents, but I hate the Zulu.
Would be easy to make.

Top Bottom