Hunnic Overhaul! (V1)

That would suck if you wound up on an island by yourself. You can't research techs until you found your capital, so you'll never learn to embark. You'd have to wait unitl someone else came along and founded a city where you started, and hope that HA's and BR's aren't obsolete then.

This is actually a very nice idea, OP.
I'm making a Geiseric mod (for a quite while, really) where you start without a settler and can actually never get a city. In one of the earlier versions, you had to get a city to become your Capital, it was pretty cool experience, according to my play testers.

The original idea I had for the Imbangala was kinda like that, 3 starting warriors, no settlers, you had to clear a barbarian camp to turn it into a city.

I was told though that it was impossible to start without settlers...

That is true, but you can kill it as soon as the Civ files are loaded.
Here is a redux of my code:

Code:
function DieSettlerDie()
	print("DIE SETTLER, DIE!")
	for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS-1, 1 do
		local pPlayer = Players[i]
		if Game:GetGameTurn() <= 1 and pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes["CIVILIZATION_BANE_BARBARIAN"] then
			for pUnit in pPlayer:Units() do
				if pUnit:GetUnitType() == GameInfoTypes["UNIT_SETTLER"] then
					pUnit:Kill(false, -1)
					print("Settler killed.")
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

DieSettlerDie()

That is true, but you can kill it as soon as the Civ files are loaded.
Here is a redux of my code:

Code:
function DieSettlerDie()
	print("DIE SETTLER, DIE!")
	for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS-1, 1 do
		local pPlayer = Players[i]
		if Game:GetGameTurn() <= 1 and pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes["CIVILIZATION_BANE_BARBARIAN"] then
			for pUnit in pPlayer:Units() do
				if pUnit:GetUnitType() == GameInfoTypes["UNIT_SETTLER"] then
					pUnit:Kill(false, -1)
					print("Settler killed.")
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

DieSettlerDie()

I think you could avoid using .LUA entirely.

The way I am doing it is creating a Hunnic UU for the settler that is just a copy of the battering ram, it will have a cost of -1 so no more can be built. You just need to set the flavor for the Settle AI to 1 and have the siege AI to 10000

I think you could avoid using .LUA entirely.

The way I am doing it is creating a Hunnic UU for the settler that is just a copy of the battering ram, it will have a cost of -1 so no more can be built. You just need to set the flavor for the Settle AI to 1 and have the siege AI to 10000

In my opinion, using Lua is less clunky and more elegant.
Yet, now the OP and Hoop Thrower have two ways towards this objective! :goodjob:

In my opinion, using Lua is less clunky and more elegant.
Yet, now the OP and Hoop Thrower have two ways towards this objective! :goodjob:

Plot twist! I AM THE OP! :D

You just compared plastic surgery to getting beaten to death.

One is easier for the more skilled person, but the end result is that they both end up dead eventually.

(ie, not everyone is as awesome as you at coding)

I've coded in lua before, but I haven't been modding civ for long at all so I am not terribly flamiliar with all the functions and objects in the game yet, that coupled with the fact my lua syntax is horrific makes me want to avoid it unless its a last resort.

For example, for upkeep free ancient era military units, I am 100% confident that there is an easy way to do this in lua. What I did to have an XML workaround was to create a UU for every ancient era unit and set the <noupkeep> to 1, then just referring the game to the original image atlas.

Then again there are some things that you just can't do in XML, which is proving to be a serious issue for my first full fledged custom civ (hint, it rhymes with Prinicpality of Sealand), so I guess I can't cling to my XML blankie for much longer, but there is a certain amount of satifaction I get out of doing an long XML workaround on something that could be done in 5 lines in lua.

HAHAHAHA :lol:
That was a worthy M. Night Shyamalan moment. "PLOT TWIST!"

If you eventually need help with Lua coding (I hate XML :(), hit me up in the Hyperion's Moon Base!

Oh dear lord M Night Shyamalan, may he be forced to sit in an uncomfortable chair for ruining The Last Airbender, and the abomination that was Lady in the Water.

If you have either BL2 or BLTPS, add me on steam and we could do some playthroughs!

I'll make sure I PM you sometime, most of the time I just need someone to bounce code off off as my lua syntax is aweful.

Top Bottom