JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

'Cuz then he would be Russian :p

I'll show myself out.
Well at least that would give you another Russia(n) to put on your list, JFD. :p

So... Jan is half Russian when he's drunk?

Well, New Zealand did in fact have larger (300-ton) stern-wheel gunboats. Namely the Pioneer, Koheroa and Rangiriri. The reason I proposed the Defender Ship, was because I recall JFD wanting a Naval/Defensive unit that suited New Zealand's isolated position. The suggestions that came up (such as the Ramming Frigate or the Research Vessel) were somewhat daft in my opinion, so I set out to find something more conducive to JFD's original intentions.

I did some research, and found that in the 1880's there was an on-going fear that the Imperial Russian Navy was going to invade. At that point of time, Britain would protect its territories and vital shipping routes, but the defence of individual ports was the responsibility of each self-governing colony. With Russia invading different countries around that period, New Zealand was thoroughly spooked after a hoax by a Newspaper -

(In 1873 an Auckland editor perpetrated) ...what has been hailed the greatest spoof in the country's history. The Monday, 18 February 1873 edition of the Southern Cross reported the sudden declaration of war between England and Russia. As a result, the Russian warship Kaskowiski – whose very name should have made sober readers suspicious – had allegedly entered Auckland Harbour on the previous Saturday night and proceeded to capture a British ship, along with the city's arms and ammunition supply, and hold a number of leading citizens for ransom. The 954-man Russian vessel obviously meant business, with a dozen 30-ton guns as well as a remarkably new advance in warfare, a paralysing and deadly "water-gas" that could be injected into enemy ships from a great distance.

This basically made our little bro's panic and the Government commissioned its first reports on the colony's defences. The decision was taken to construct fortifications and purchase naval boats which would protect various harbours.

I found that these ships, that were essentially built as a defence mechanism to ward off Alexander II's spooky navy using sheer willpower and relatively tiny boats fit JFD's required bill quite well.

Perhaps a future iteration of NZ would be able to show off the awesome design function of these Spar Torpedo boats, namely the ability to "proceed at high speed towards the side of an enemy warship, where it would detonate the explosive at the end of its spar". I haven't looked into it, but are the Defender's weaker than the Ironclad it replaces? I only ask because they were armoured with plating only 1.6 mm thick.

I tried to bring at attention at the steam workshop that the icon from the venetian glass from the holy roman has a kind of offset problem at the civilopedia. Because no response there I give it a try here. I guess it be only a cosmetic problem. It happens too when I only have this mod activated. Since the high quality of jfd's civs it would be nice this could be fixed over time, although this is maybe a minor problem. :)

JFD i realy like your work for civ's,but i am disapointed cuz there is no one civ for Serbia.For Serbia there is like 4 civ you could make. Tsar Dusan(middle ages) , Serbia durring Otoman ocupation, Serbia in WW1 and Yugoslavia in WW2. Any of this or some your idea, i will be grateful to play any type Serbia in Civ V. Thanks again! :)

I do want to do Dusan eventually.

Does New Zealand have any civ-specific event/decisions?

Also I was playing Milan earlier today and they don't have any civ-specific events/decisions, which is odd, because I swear they did when I wasn't using the civ packs.

Yes. With Milan, sounds like a bug. Are you using Sardinia-Piedmont as well?

I tried to bring at attention at the steam workshop that the icon from the venetian glass from the holy roman has a kind of offset problem at the civilopedia. Because no response there I give it a try here. I guess it be only a cosmetic problem. It happens too when I only have this mod activated. Since the high quality of jfd's civs it would be nice this could be fixed over time, although this is maybe a minor problem. :)

Steam doesn't notify me about new comments on my older mods (don't know why), so it's best to report bugs here if you want to get my attention. I'll look into this - thankfully Sukritact has allowed me to use his glass icon for this mod, as the one I made was pretty bad.

I get the same thing JFD on my older mods. People leaving comments, feedback, requests for 'how do I get it to work', questions on 'what does it do again?' all going unanswered for weeks at a time because I got no notification from Steam that there were any new comments.

Your Hitler mod is really great, but he isn't very competitive. He usually just sits in a corner and doesn't really do anything. I'd make him a bit more militaristic and/or backstabby if it were me.

Yes. With Milan, sounds like a bug. Are you using Sardinia-Piedmont as well?

Yes, I am.

The reason I asked about New Zealand having events/decisions is because I don't see any civ-specific ones. I used the download on the front page, but I'm going to give it another go.

Your Hitler mod is really great, but he isn't very competitive. He usually just sits in a corner and doesn't really do anything. I'd make him a bit more militaristic and/or backstabby if it were me.

I think there's some built in mechanic that prevents Hitler from ever being competitive - first I had him too militaristic, but he never did very well, then I lowered those to how they are now and he's still not doing well :p

Yes, I am.

The reason I asked about New Zealand having events/decisions is because I don't see any civ-specific ones. I used the download on the front page, but I'm going to give it another go.

Yeah, found the problem. It's a conflict with Sweden-Norway. Will have to update at some point. In the meantime, just turn off S-N, or activate them after NZ.

Would it okay if you made a mod that brought back the old backdrop that still have the 3d hitler in front of it, on the unlikey chance other people would agree with me that it would look better.
But since that's unlikey & if that doesn't happen then could you teach me how to do it my self.

Top Bottom